re: Modem Diagnostic Test Failed

Sandee

re: Modem Diagnostic Test Failed
I'm not sure why I did it but I ran a modem diagnostic test on my 6 month old
Dell. It failed. We followed the steps provided in case of a failure. We
unpluged and checked the phone/modem cables coming from the wall. We hooked
up the phone to check for a dial tone. Yes we got a dial tone. We carefully
replugged everything back in to make sure there wasn't any loose connections.
We checked the country/region setting, it is on generic but in the control
panel it says US. That is where I'm at. We then re-ran the test. It failed
again. The next step is to reseat the modem inside the computer. Before we
try that I wanted to check to see if you think that is a good idea. We have
a DSL high speed connection. I know this might be a Dell problem but please
don't send me to them. Contacting Dell on any issue has proven to be an
unbelievably frustrating, horrible ordeal. Can anyone suggest some help?
Thank you.

Sandee
Chuck

Re: Modem Diagnostic Test Failed
Symptom--
Analog modem fails diagnostic on DSL line.
Does the DSL line have filters and allow "standard" analog telephones to
work?

"Sandee" <Sandee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm not sure why I did it but I ran a modem diagnostic test on my 6 month

old
> Dell. It failed. We followed the steps provided in case of a failure. We
> unpluged and checked the phone/modem cables coming from the wall. We

hooked
> up the phone to check for a dial tone. Yes we got a dial tone. We

carefully
> replugged everything back in to make sure there wasn't any loose

connections.
> We checked the country/region setting, it is on generic but in the

control
> panel it says US. That is where I'm at. We then re-ran the test. It

failed
> again. The next step is to reseat the modem inside the computer. Before

we
> try that I wanted to check to see if you think that is a good idea. We

have
> a DSL high speed connection. I know this might be a Dell problem but

please
> don't send me to them. Contacting Dell on any issue has proven to be an
> unbelievably frustrating, horrible ordeal. Can anyone suggest some help?
> Thank you.
>
> Sandee

Sandee

Re: Modem Diagnostic Test Failed
Chuck,
I apologize for my ignorance but could you explain what you mean? We did
try plugging our house phone into the modem jack and it seemed fine. I
didn't actually make a call but we got a dial tone. Is there something else
I can check in order to answer your question?
Thanks for your help.
Sandee

"Chuck" wrote:

> Symptom--
> Analog modem fails diagnostic on DSL line.
> Does the DSL line have filters and allow "standard" analog telephones to
> work?
>
> "Sandee" <Sandee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm not sure why I did it but I ran a modem diagnostic test on my 6 month

> old
> > Dell. It failed. We followed the steps provided in case of a failure. We
> > unpluged and checked the phone/modem cables coming from the wall. We

> hooked
> > up the phone to check for a dial tone. Yes we got a dial tone. We

> carefully
> > replugged everything back in to make sure there wasn't any loose

> connections.
> > We checked the country/region setting, it is on generic but in the

> control
> > panel it says US. That is where I'm at. We then re-ran the test. It

> failed
> > again. The next step is to reseat the modem inside the computer. Before

> we
> > try that I wanted to check to see if you think that is a good idea. We

> have
> > a DSL high speed connection. I know this might be a Dell problem but

> please
> > don't send me to them. Contacting Dell on any issue has proven to be an
> > unbelievably frustrating, horrible ordeal. Can anyone suggest some help?
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Sandee

Hobo

Re: Modem Diagnostic Test Failed
Sandee,

Does your DSL modem work? Been a while since I've used a DSL
connection, but to the best of my knowledge the modem
diagnostic test is intended for 'dial-up' modems only, not
DSL. The DSL modem does not dial up and is always connected
to the line. Each of your phones should have a filter device
between it and where the phone plugs into the jack. There
should be no filter on the DSL connection line.

Hobo