How can I remove Vista?

Meg Frairey

How can I remove Vista?
Hello,

I have had enough of Vista and would like to remove it and install Windows XP Home
Edition but don't know where to start. I have the XP CD and don't want to keep
anything from Vista....Help?

MFF
Bruce Chambers

Re: How can I remove Vista?
Meg Frairey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have had enough of Vista and would like to remove it and install Windows XP Home
> Edition but don't know where to start. I have the XP CD and don't want to keep
> anything from Vista....Help?
>
> MFF

There could be a couple possible adverse repercussions of which you
should be aware. First and foremost, if the specific computer model in
question was designed specifically for Vista, there may well be no
WinXP-specific device drivers available to make the computer's diverse
components work properly. Consult the computer's manufacturer about the
availability of device drivers. Secondly, removing an OEM-installed
operating system and replacing it with another will almost invariably
void any and all support agreements and, sometimes, even the warranty.
You would, at the very least, have to re-install Vista before getting
any support from the manufacturer. Again, consult the computer's
manufacturer for specifics. Thirdly, there may be the additional cost
involved in purchasing a WinXP license for this new computer. (An OEM
CD and license from some previous computer will not do, for legal and
usually technical reasons.)

After backing up any data you wish to transfer to the new OS
installation, simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be
offered the opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part
of the installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of
boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

HOW TO Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;en-us;316941

Then, assuming that you were successful in obtaining WinXP-specific
device drivers so the computer can be made to work with WinXP, the
backed up data can be restored and applications (Those that are
WinXP-compatible, that is) re-installed.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
techie007

Re: How can I remove Vista?

Hello,

If it is a full install version of XP, boot off the XP CD and then use
the partition setup section of XP's setup to delete the existing
partition(s) and create a new one, then just continue on with the XP
setup as usual.

Hope that helps!

--
techie007
Malke

Re: How can I remove Vista?
Meg Frairey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have had enough of Vista and would like to remove it and install Windows XP Home
> Edition but don't know where to start. I have the XP CD and don't want to keep
> anything from Vista....Help?

General information about replacing Vista with XP:

A. On an OEM (HP, Sony, etc.) computer:

1. Go to the OEM's website and look for XP drivers for your specific
model computer. If there are no XP drivers, then you can't install XP.
End of story. If there are drivers, download them and store on a CD-R or
USB thumbdrive; you'll need them after you install XP.

2. Check with the OEM - either from their tech support website or by
calling them - to see if you will void your warranty if you do this. If
you will void the warranty, you make the decision.

3. If the OEM does support XP on the machine, call them and see if you
can have downgrade rights and have them send you an XP restore disk.
This will be far the easiest and best way of getting XP on the machine.

4. If XP is supported on the machine but the OEM doesn't have an XP
restore disk for you, understand that you'll need to purchase a retail
copy of XP from your favorite online or brick/mortar store.

5. Also understand that you will need to do a clean install of XP so if
you have any data you want, back it up first.

6. If none of the above is applicable to you because you can't run XP on
that machine (see Item #1 above), return the computer and purchase one
running XP instead.

B. On a generic/home-built computer (from non-OEM company) - You will
need drivers for all your hardware. See the second link below for more
details:

http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install How-To
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...alling_Windows -
What you will need on-hand

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Phisherman

Re: How can I remove Vista?
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:07:18 -0500, Meg Frairey <MegFF@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have had enough of Vista and would like to remove it and install Windows XP Home
>Edition but don't know where to start. I have the XP CD and don't want to keep
>anything from Vista....Help?
>
>MFF

Should be fairly easy. First get AVG or Avast or other anti-virus and
copy to a thumb drive or burn to a disc. Boot from the XP CD and
follow the instructions. Load the anti-virus before connecting to the
Internet.
Meg Frairey

Re: How can I remove Vista?
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 18:09:12 -0500, Phisherman <noone@nobody.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:07:18 -0500, Meg Frairey <MegFF@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I have had enough of Vista and would like to remove it and install Windows XP Home
>>Edition but don't know where to start. I have the XP CD and don't want to keep
>>anything from Vista....Help?
>>
>>MFF

>Should be fairly easy. First get AVG or Avast or other anti-virus and
>copy to a thumb drive or burn to a disc. Boot from the XP CD and
>follow the instructions. Load the anti-virus before connecting to the
>Internet.

Thanx all for the input. Since my last post I've sold the freakin' Vista/Dell laptop
and am now in search of another new machine, minus the Vista virus. This has been
tough because the companies I've contacted actually charge more for a system without
Vista. What the hell is up with that???

I hate DELL! I HATE Vista!! I hate MicroSHAFT!!! GOOD RIDDANCE, Bill Gates!!!!

I also hate Apple MAC, along with their stupid commercials, albeit slightly less
than Vista, but that's the direction I'm heading in.

Again - good riddance Gates! You were a scourge on the computer industry!

Thank you for listening,
A very pissed-off Meg

PS Can anyone tell me where I can find a new laptop with XP installed and not
Vista???
disciple85

Re: How can I remove Vista?

"Meg Frairey" wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 18:09:12 -0500, Phisherman <noone@nobody.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:07:18 -0500, Meg Frairey <MegFF@comcast.net>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>I have had enough of Vista and would like to remove it and install Windows XP Home
> >>Edition but don't know where to start. I have the XP CD and don't want to keep
> >>anything from Vista....Help?
> >>
> >>MFF

> >Should be fairly easy. First get AVG or Avast or other anti-virus and
> >copy to a thumb drive or burn to a disc. Boot from the XP CD and
> >follow the instructions. Load the anti-virus before connecting to the
> >Internet.

> Thanx all for the input. Since my last post I've sold the freakin' Vista/Dell laptop
> and am now in search of another new machine, minus the Vista virus. This has been
> tough because the companies I've contacted actually charge more for a system without
> Vista. What the hell is up with that???
>
> I hate DELL! I HATE Vista!! I hate MicroSHAFT!!! GOOD RIDDANCE, Bill Gates!!!!
>
> I also hate Apple MAC, along with their stupid commercials, albeit slightly less
> than Vista, but that's the direction I'm heading in.
>
> Again - good riddance Gates! You were a scourge on the computer industry!
>
> Thank you for listening,
> A very pissed-off Meg
>
> PS Can anyone tell me where I can find a new laptop with XP installed and not
> Vista???
> You can go to this site http://www.tpi-us.com they custom build computers or you could try www.newegg.com as well they sell all kinds of laptops (even ones that have XP). Hope this helps.

RyanHell078

Re: How can I remove Vista?

Sounds like you hate computers? Maybe thats just a personal thing, the
fact that "Vista sucks"???? Or maybe you need a palm pilot or something
without an option of OS's.

--
RyanHell078
Meg Frairey

Re: How can I remove Vista?
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:07:18 -0500, Meg Frairey <MegFF@comcast.net> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have had enough of Vista and would like to remove it and install Windows XP Home
>Edition but don't know where to start. I have the XP CD and don't want to keep
>anything from Vista....Help?
>
>MFF

Just a follow-up:

I found a goldmine of Laptops that still have Win XP as their O/S! NewEgg.com has at
least 50 of all makes and models - and their prices are not bad at all. I'm in
heaven!

MegFF