Suppressing a Vista event logging request

zarbiker

Suppressing a Vista event logging request
Hi,

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate (along with native XP in other
partitions) on my Dell Precision 530 Workstation. The original video card
was not Vista compliant. I was able to find an Aero capable Nvidia Geforce
7600 GS AGP video card and it runs Aero features quite well. However, the
card has a firmware glitch that erroneously decides that voltage is
insufficient (voltage is actually fine). To inform the driver software of
this condition the graphics car repeatedly causes a series of hardware
interrupts indicating that (false) voltage failure events have occurred. For
each such notification the Nvidia driver logs a System error record to the
system log filling the event viewer with thousands of error records within
just a few seconds. The CPU and IO processing involved in all this logging
cripples performance and makes the system barely usable. If I could somehow
eliminate this erroneous logging I would have a fully working responsive
Vista system. I cannot buy a new card (Aero capable AGP cards are few and
far between) so I checked about getting repaired firmware.
Unfortunately, this cards manufacturer offers no mechanism to upgrade the
firmware. An alternative would be to focus on the software side and stop the
Nvidia driver from logging these events even though it is prompted by the
card to post an error. However, my attempts to get Nvidia to let me know how
to do this have failed.
So I'm left with one final possibility - suppressing the logging process
itself so that even though the driver issues a log request the Vista logging
subsystem will (selectively?) reject it. This sort of request filtering
could dramatically reduce the resource consumption overhead associated with
actually recording and externalizing the log records and would most likely
improve system performance. Does anyone know how to accomplish this? Does
Vista let you selectively deflect log requests? I'd even settle for a way to
globally suppress all log requests since this problem is a real showstopper.
--
Thanks,
zarbiker