Dell Dimension running Vista won't come out of sleep mode

Baffled Del Owner

Dell Dimension running Vista won't come out of sleep mode
I have a Dell Dimension E521, running Vista with a bt keyboard and mouse. My
monitor went into sleep mode while running a spybot scan and now I cannot get
it to wake up. There is no response when I move the mouse or hit keyboard
keys. The batteries in the keyboard and mouse are good, just replace mouses'
and I had just been on the computer for 2 hours before this happened,
everything was working fine. The only clue I can give is that when I started
this two hour session windows popped up and asked permission for startup
programs to have access. I said yes, and went on to work for two hours. I I
have had an XP machine for years. This Vista was only purchased in October.
The two machines are networked. When I turn on the Vista machine, it is
louder than usual, and two lights flash on the front, 3 and 4. Any
assistance would be appreciated.

jadedgamer is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Dell Dimension running Vista won't come out of sleep mode
I am suffering from the exact same problem. Though I don't have an answer, I would love to hear the solution to this problem. Oddly enough I too was using a bluetooth keyboard when this happened, a Logitech diNovo Edge to be exact. Only the computer went to sleep after I accidently hit the power button on it (It's the Mac Edition keyboard). And as you said after trying to power on the tower the light does not immediatly go green. After 30 seconds it lights solid and the 3 and 4 stay lit. No display, and noy input devices are powered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffled Del Owner View Post
I have a Dell Dimension E521, running Vista with a bt keyboard and mouse. My
monitor went into sleep mode while running a spybot scan and now I cannot get
it to wake up. There is no response when I move the mouse or hit keyboard
keys. The batteries in the keyboard and mouse are good, just replace mouses'
and I had just been on the computer for 2 hours before this happened,
everything was working fine. The only clue I can give is that when I started
this two hour session windows popped up and asked permission for startup
programs to have access. I said yes, and went on to work for two hours. I I
have had an XP machine for years. This Vista was only purchased in October.
The two machines are networked. When I turn on the Vista machine, it is
louder than usual, and two lights flash on the front, 3 and 4. Any
assistance would be appreciated.
Michael Walraven

Re: Dell Dimension running Vista won't come out of sleep mode
You need to check your manual in the troubleshooting tools section.

On my Dell XPS 410 lights 3 and 4 signify:
Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred.

Michael

"jadedgamer" <jadedgamer.3m68gc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:jadedgamer.3m68gc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> I am suffering from the exact same problem. Though I don't have an
> answer, I would love to hear the solution to this problem. Oddly enough
> I too was using a bluetooth keyboard when this happened, a Logitech
> diNovo Edge to be exact. Only the computer went to sleep after I
> accidently hit the power button on it (It's the Mac Edition keyboard).
> And as you said after trying to power on the tower the light does not
> immediatly go green. After 30 seconds it lights solid and the 3 and 4
> stay lit. No display, and noy input devices are powered.
> Baffled Del Owner;615310 Wrote:
>> I have a Dell Dimension E521, running Vista with a bt keyboard and
>> mouse. My
>> monitor went into sleep mode while running a spybot scan and now I
>> cannot get
>> it to wake up. There is no response when I move the mouse or hit
>> keyboard
>> keys. The batteries in the keyboard and mouse are good, just replace
>> mouses'
>> and I had just been on the computer for 2 hours before this happened,
>> everything was working fine. The only clue I can give is that when I
>> started
>> this two hour session windows popped up and asked permission for
>> startup
>> programs to have access. I said yes, and went on to work for two
>> hours. I I
>> have had an XP machine for years. This Vista was only purchased in
>> October.
>> The two machines are networked. When I turn on the Vista machine, it
>> is
>> louder than usual, and two lights flash on the front, 3 and 4. Any
>> assistance would be appreciated.

> --
> jadedgamer

Vicki_g

Re: Dell Dimension running Vista won't come out of sleep mode
We had the same problem - computer would go to sleep and monitor would not
wake back up, or monitor would enter power save mode in the middle of an
application. We reloaded Vista and we have not had the problem since.

"Michael Walraven" wrote:

> You need to check your manual in the troubleshooting tools section.
>
> On my Dell XPS 410 lights 3 and 4 signify:
> Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred.
>
> Michael
>

> "jadedgamer" <jadedgamer.3m68gc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
> message news:jadedgamer.3m68gc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
> >
> > I am suffering from the exact same problem. Though I don't have an
> > answer, I would love to hear the solution to this problem. Oddly enough
> > I too was using a bluetooth keyboard when this happened, a Logitech
> > diNovo Edge to be exact. Only the computer went to sleep after I
> > accidently hit the power button on it (It's the Mac Edition keyboard).
> > And as you said after trying to power on the tower the light does not
> > immediatly go green. After 30 seconds it lights solid and the 3 and 4
> > stay lit. No display, and noy input devices are powered.
> > Baffled Del Owner;615310 Wrote:
> >> I have a Dell Dimension E521, running Vista with a bt keyboard and
> >> mouse. My
> >> monitor went into sleep mode while running a spybot scan and now I
> >> cannot get
> >> it to wake up. There is no response when I move the mouse or hit
> >> keyboard
> >> keys. The batteries in the keyboard and mouse are good, just replace
> >> mouses'
> >> and I had just been on the computer for 2 hours before this happened,
> >> everything was working fine. The only clue I can give is that when I
> >> started
> >> this two hour session windows popped up and asked permission for
> >> startup
> >> programs to have access. I said yes, and went on to work for two
> >> hours. I I
> >> have had an XP machine for years. This Vista was only purchased in
> >> October.
> >> The two machines are networked. When I turn on the Vista machine, it
> >> is
> >> louder than usual, and two lights flash on the front, 3 and 4. Any
> >> assistance would be appreciated.

> > --
> > jadedgamer

tomnshelle is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Dell Dimension running Vista won't come out of sleep mode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki_g View Post

"Michael Walraven" wrote:

> You need to check your manual in the troubleshooting tools section.
>
> On my Dell XPS 410 lights 3 and 4 signify:
> Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred.
>
> Michael
>

> "jadedgamer" <jadedgamer.3m68gc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
> message news:jadedgamer.3m68gc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
> >
> > I am suffering from the exact same problem. Though I don't have an
> > answer, I would love to hear the solution to this problem. Oddly enough
> > I too was using a bluetooth keyboard when this happened, a Logitech
> > diNovo Edge to be exact. Only the computer went to sleep after I
> > accidently hit the power button on it (It's the Mac Edition keyboard).
> > And as you said after trying to power on the tower the light does not
> > immediatly go green. After 30 seconds it lights solid and the 3 and 4
> > stay lit. No display, and noy input devices are powered.
> > Baffled Del Owner;615310 Wrote:
> >> I have a Dell Dimension E521, running Vista with a bt keyboard and
> >> mouse. My
> >> monitor went into sleep mode while running a spybot scan and now I
> >> cannot get
> >> it to wake up. There is no response when I move the mouse or hit
> >> keyboard
> >> keys. The batteries in the keyboard and mouse are good, just replace
> >> mouses'
> >> and I had just been on the computer for 2 hours before this happened,
> >> everything was working fine. The only clue I can give is that when I
> >> started
> >> this two hour session windows popped up and asked permission for
> >> startup
> >> programs to have access. I said yes, and went on to work for two
> >> hours. I I
> >> have had an XP machine for years. This Vista was only purchased in
> >> October.
> >> The two machines are networked. When I turn on the Vista machine, it
> >> is
> >> louder than usual, and two lights flash on the front, 3 and 4. Any
> >> assistance would be appreciated.

> > --
> > jadedgamer

I also am having the same problem with my E521 Dell Dimension. I can't pinpoint the problem either. I have tried removing and replacing all the ram sticks, and nothing works. sometimes it will boot, other times it will not. I got this computer used, and they said they couldn't find one of the disks for it, so the OS has not been reset.
This has Vista Premium on it. Is there some kind of media cd or something I need to redo windows on this? Would that maybe help with the problem?
I am at a loss! any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Vitaliy

Re: Dell Dimension running Vista won't come out of sleep mode

Try hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del (do not hold it!) your monitor should wake up,
press Cancel and you will be back to your desktop.
This the only way that works to exit Sleep Mode without shutting down
pc.
This problem came from one of 4 things I changed recently
1. I enabled Away Mode for Vista in BIOS.
2. Changed VGA cable to DVI.
3. Updated video card drivers.
4. Switched from SATA IDE to AHCI.

Configuration: