Black Screen at Startup

spartan6144

Black Screen at Startup
Hi. Some wierd thing is happening with my computer. Everything was fine
yesterday until I installed Daemon Tools, an ISO mounting application. When I
was prompted to restart by both the Daemon Tools installer and the Windows
Update reminder, I did. When I got in again, Daemon Tools did not show up.
Then, Windows Explorer stopped responding and never restarted again. When I
manually shut off (I regret that now, since I could have pressed
CTRL+ALT+DELETE) and restarted again, I selected normal startup. I saw the
little green bars loading Vista, but then..BOOM! A huge black void. I waited
for one hour, but nothing happened. I manually shut down again and restarted
to run a Norton virus scan from the CD. It did not detect any viruses, so I
restarted and selected a safe mode. It kept getting stuck at cdc. I restarted
AGAIN, but I does not work. Some help would be much appreciated, friends.
--
Gateway GT4024
Nvidia GeForce 8600GT
Malke

Re: Black Screen at Startup
spartan6144 wrote:
> Hi. Some wierd thing is happening with my computer. Everything was fine
> yesterday until I installed Daemon Tools, an ISO mounting application. When I
> was prompted to restart by both the Daemon Tools installer and the Windows
> Update reminder, I did. When I got in again, Daemon Tools did not show up.
> Then, Windows Explorer stopped responding and never restarted again. When I
> manually shut off (I regret that now, since I could have pressed
> CTRL+ALT+DELETE) and restarted again, I selected normal startup. I saw the
> little green bars loading Vista, but then..BOOM! A huge black void. I waited
> for one hour, but nothing happened. I manually shut down again and restarted
> to run a Norton virus scan from the CD. It did not detect any viruses, so I
> restarted and selected a safe mode. It kept getting stuck at cdc. I restarted
> AGAIN, but I does not work. Some help would be much appreciated, friends.

Daemon Tools can be problematic on a lot of computers and the recent
versions come with adware. Boot your computer with the Vista install DVD
and do a System Restore to before you installed Daemon Tools. Don't
install it again.

How to run System Restore from the Vista DVD repair options:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial142.html
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...ystem-restore/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940765

Malke