Need relief from TrustedInstaller

Brian Kitt

Need relief from TrustedInstaller
I've been running Vista Ultimate for about 2 months, and am so fed up with
it, that I'm ready to junk my computer. I did try to revert back to XP, but
unfortunately I can't get drivers for my laptop for XP. I have no choice but
to run Vista, and I am serious P.O.'d about it. My absolute #1 complaint, is
TrustedInstaller. This P.O.S. service will run at random, and nearly halt my
machine. YES, it ony runs for a couple of minutes, but it seems to have a
knack for knowing when I am the most busy, and when freezing my machine is
not my first choice of actions. It amazes me that after almost 30 years of
software development, MS doesn't have the forsight to run a process like this
during lul's in pocessor activity, or at least run it at a low enough
priority that it doesn't complete disrupt what you are doing. I can't find a
way to stop this process, I can't kill it, and if I disable it in the
Services menu, I contantly get warning and errors because it is turned off.
Is there ANY way to get relief from this? Is there any way to set it up to
only run in the wee hours of the morning, or maybe only when my screen saver
pops up (indicating that I am not using my machine?)
Curt

Re: Need relief from TrustedInstaller
http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/201251.aspx

Take a look at this. It may solve your issue.

--
Curt

"Brian Kitt" <BrianKitt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been running Vista Ultimate for about 2 months, and am so fed up with
> it, that I'm ready to junk my computer. I did try to revert back to XP,
> but
> unfortunately I can't get drivers for my laptop for XP. I have no choice
> but
> to run Vista, and I am serious P.O.'d about it. My absolute #1 complaint,
> is
> TrustedInstaller. This P.O.S. service will run at random, and nearly halt
> my
> machine. YES, it ony runs for a couple of minutes, but it seems to have a
> knack for knowing when I am the most busy, and when freezing my machine is
> not my first choice of actions. It amazes me that after almost 30 years
> of
> software development, MS doesn't have the forsight to run a process like
> this
> during lul's in pocessor activity, or at least run it at a low enough
> priority that it doesn't complete disrupt what you are doing. I can't
> find a
> way to stop this process, I can't kill it, and if I disable it in the
> Services menu, I contantly get warning and errors because it is turned
> off.
> Is there ANY way to get relief from this? Is there any way to set it up
> only run in the wee hours of the morning, or maybe only when my screen
> saver
> pops up (indicating that I am not using my machine?)

Brian Kitt

Re: Need relief from TrustedInstaller
Hmmm. I have well over 100 errors here. I cleaned this out, I will see what
happens. Thanks

"Curt" wrote:

> http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/201251.aspx
>
> Take a look at this. It may solve your issue.
>
> --
> Curt
>

> "Brian Kitt" <BrianKitt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've been running Vista Ultimate for about 2 months, and am so fed up with
> > it, that I'm ready to junk my computer. I did try to revert back to XP,
> > but
> > unfortunately I can't get drivers for my laptop for XP. I have no choice
> > but
> > to run Vista, and I am serious P.O.'d about it. My absolute #1 complaint,
> > is
> > TrustedInstaller. This P.O.S. service will run at random, and nearly halt
> > my
> > machine. YES, it ony runs for a couple of minutes, but it seems to have a
> > knack for knowing when I am the most busy, and when freezing my machine is
> > not my first choice of actions. It amazes me that after almost 30 years
> > of
> > software development, MS doesn't have the forsight to run a process like
> > this
> > during lul's in pocessor activity, or at least run it at a low enough
> > priority that it doesn't complete disrupt what you are doing. I can't
> > find a
> > way to stop this process, I can't kill it, and if I disable it in the
> > Services menu, I contantly get warning and errors because it is turned
> > off.
> > Is there ANY way to get relief from this? Is there any way to set it up
> > only run in the wee hours of the morning, or maybe only when my screen
> > saver
> > pops up (indicating that I am not using my machine?)

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Re: Need relief from TrustedInstaller
Hello Brian,
You may want to try public release of SP1 for Windows Vista.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb738089.aspx
There are some changes in that RC1 release of SP1 to reduce the amount of
time trusted installer runs as well as some changes to reduce the amount of
time some of the components request a check for updates( the component
makes the request to check for updates which triggers trusted installer to
run). Since the call can be per component, various compoments that make
requests can request at different times.
Automatic Updates is just of the calling components and it can be set to
run at a specific time. Not all components that make individual requests
to check for updates have that option.
If you install updates that require a reboot, after the reboot trusted
installer may run after the reboot to complete the installation of the
packages.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]