CPU Usage Problem

Paul Lady

CPU Usage Problem
My relatively new Dell desktop is showing abnormal cpu usage.

Task manager shows a normal list of processes when I am the only user signed
on. when I select all users, a bunch of "system" processes (about double)
are added to the list, and some of them (svchost, etc)are consuming 40-70%
cpu.

what's going on? how do I stop this?

TIA, pjl

Michael N. Swain

Re: CPU Usage Problem
On 1/10/08 12:46 PM, in article
5DC53B01-DAA7-43A4-AB3D-24419D7A5941@microsoft.com, "Paul Lady"
<pjl@comcast.net> wrote:

> My relatively new Dell desktop is showing abnormal cpu usage.
>
> Task manager shows a normal list of processes when I am the only user signed
> on. when I select all users, a bunch of "system" processes (about double)
> are added to the list, and some of them (svchost, etc)are consuming 40-70%
> cpu.
>
> what's going on? how do I stop this?
>
> TIA, pjl

This is usually an indication that the users are still logged in ... They
might be up on the screen but they are logged in... Login as them and
choose LOGOUT rather then switch users.

Paul Lady

Re: CPU Usage Problem
Thx for suggestion. I could not make it work. there is no other user shown
logged on. the task manager shows that the "other user" is called SYSTEM
and it only shows when I check the show other users in task manager. the
processes that are consuming about half the cpu are: nt kernel and system,
windows modules installer and host process for windows services.

It acts like a phantom user that has something going that I cannot get a
handle on to stop.

any more ideas? I have tried the diagnostics and show critical events that
the tool labels bad, but no idea how to stop or fix the problem.

pjl

"Michael N. Swain" <MSwain@lusardi.com> wrote in message
> On 1/10/08 12:46 PM, in article
> 5DC53B01-DAA7-43A4-AB3D-24419D7A5941@microsoft.com, "Paul Lady"
> <pjl@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> My relatively new Dell desktop is showing abnormal cpu usage.
>>
>> Task manager shows a normal list of processes when I am the only user
>> signed
>> on. when I select all users, a bunch of "system" processes (about
>> double)
>> are added to the list, and some of them (svchost, etc)are consuming
>> 40-70%
>> cpu.
>>
>> what's going on? how do I stop this?
>>
>> TIA, pjl
>>

> This is usually an indication that the users are still logged in ... They
> might be up on the screen but they are logged in... Login as them and
> choose LOGOUT rather then switch users.

skunksmash

Re: CPU Usage Problem

SP1 !!!!!!! i had that same problem with synchost my cpu would sit at
about 60% and my HDD light would not go off and that was idle

--
skunksmash
Paul Lady

Re: CPU Usage Problem
Sounds like the exact same problem.

Are you saying upgrade to SP1?

Thx, pjl

"skunksmash" <skunksmash.3312s5@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> SP1 !!!!!!! i had that same problem with synchost my cpu would sit at
> about 60% and my HDD light would not go off and that was idle
>

> --
> skunksmash

Fesoj

Re: CPU Usage Problem
I had same problem few lines down. I reinstalled Vista. Yes it helped and I
know this is not good solution but fastest. I don't trust to release
candidates because I need stable operating system as much as it can be.
Every time when I started computer the CPU usage raised to 50% and only
thing which helped was kill "process" system. But it's temporary. After
reboot it was the same.

"Paul Lady" <pjl@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Sounds like the exact same problem.
>
> Are you saying upgrade to SP1?
>
> Thx, pjl
>
> "skunksmash" <skunksmash.3312s5@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>
>> SP1 !!!!!!! i had that same problem with synchost my cpu would sit at
>> about 60% and my HDD light would not go off and that was idle
>>

>> --
>> skunksmash

Paul Lady

Re: CPU Usage Problem
"Fesoj" <josef.donoval@jindrichovsu.cz> wrote in message
>I had same problem few lines down. I reinstalled Vista. Yes it helped and I
>know this is not good solution but fastest. I don't trust to release
>candidates because I need stable operating system as much as it can be.
>Every time when I started computer the CPU usage raised to 50% and only
>thing which helped was kill "process" system. But it's temporary. After
>reboot it was the same.
>
> "Paul Lady" <pjl@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Sounds like the exact same problem.
>>
>> Are you saying upgrade to SP1?
>>
>> Thx, pjl
>>
>> "skunksmash" <skunksmash.3312s5@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> SP1 !!!!!!! i had that same problem with synchost my cpu would sit at
>>> about 60% and my HDD light would not go off and that was idle
>>>

>>> --
>>> skunksmash

I finally got the Dell tech on the phone, spent an hour, they said it was
"no problem".

Does not seem right to me, however. I know this behavior is relatively new,
and I suspect related to something I have changed or some app has changed.
Sure wish someone would shine some light on this.

pjl