Can't delete/move large files in Vista

adam.hafner@gmail.com

Can't delete/move large files in Vista
I have a file on my Vista machine that I can't get Vista to delete or
move. It is a 224 MOV/Quicktime video file. I have tried different
methods but I can't get it to go anywhere. I also have a folder that
has about 4Gb worth of individual video files that can't be moved as
one folder but if i move the individual files separately it works, but
it is very time consuming. The reason I can't move or delete is
because it locks up when it is calculating the amount of time needed
to delete the file. I have read the other posts and I have requested
the hotfixes from MSFT and rebooted and it still won't let me delete/
move them. I have also turned off the autotuning as instructed in
some of the posts and then rebooted and I still can't delete/move the
files. Has anyone been able to completely resolve this issue on their
Vista machine? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--Adam
mikeyhsd

Re: Can't delete/move large files in Vista
know there have been, still are lots of problems copying/deleting large files/folders in vista RTM.
have you tried in safe mode.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

<adam.hafner@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d7bfe3ad-8941-48ac-8dfc-38ad436fe87e@z17g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
[...]

witchy

Re: Can't delete/move large files in Vista
This may seem a little strange, but sometimes strange things work. Try making
a very small file and rename it with the exact same name as file of the one
you are trying to get rid of. (copying over the old one) . Then try deleting
it. I have had to do this when trying to get rid of some message folders in
my email when they won't let me delete or backup. The new file might re-set
the size the computer thinks the file is.
"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> know there have been, still are lots of problems copying/deleting large files/folders in vista RTM.
> have you tried in safe mode.
>

> mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com
>

> <adam.hafner@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d7bfe3ad-8941-48ac-8dfc-38ad436fe87e@z17g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> I have a file on my Vista machine that I can't get Vista to delete or
> move. It is a 224 MOV/Quicktime video file. I have tried different
> methods but I can't get it to go anywhere. I also have a folder that
> has about 4Gb worth of individual video files that can't be moved as
> one folder but if i move the individual files separately it works, but
> it is very time consuming. The reason I can't move or delete is
> because it locks up when it is calculating the amount of time needed
> to delete the file. I have read the other posts and I have requested
> the hotfixes from MSFT and rebooted and it still won't let me delete/
> move them. I have also turned off the autotuning as instructed in
> some of the posts and then rebooted and I still can't delete/move the
> files. Has anyone been able to completely resolve this issue on their
> Vista machine? Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Adam

bjg123

Re: Can't delete/move large files in Vista

I had this same problem and found an answer on another thread. Just
uninstall Quicktime--you can then delete or move the file easily.

--
bjg123