Windows Vista Home Premium on HP Media Center PC

sponz

Windows Vista Home Premium on HP Media Center PC
From day 1, the PC hangs on start after the normal desktop appears for about
10 minutes. After that time it works fine. Each time I notice the following
entries in the event log:

The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service hung on starting.
The Security Center service hung on starting.
The Windows Update service hung on starting.

Not sure if these are related. The machine is actually exhibiting symptoms
of a 100% CPU utilisation as I noticed that it responds to mouse clicks after
a considerable delay. After it's had its spat for 10 or so minutes it works
fine.

I am also running the Bit Defender Internet Security. Again, not sure if
that is the contributing factor.

Curt

Re: Windows Vista Home Premium on HP Media Center PC
Check network discovery. If you already
have your network settings, you can probably turn
network discovery off.

--
Curt

"sponz" <sponz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> From day 1, the PC hangs on start after the normal desktop appears for
> about
> 10 minutes. After that time it works fine. Each time I notice the
> following
> entries in the event log:
>
> The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service hung on starting.
> The Security Center service hung on starting.
> The Windows Update service hung on starting.
>
> Not sure if these are related. The machine is actually exhibiting symptoms
> of a 100% CPU utilisation as I noticed that it responds to mouse clicks
> after
> a considerable delay. After it's had its spat for 10 or so minutes it
> works
> fine.
>
> I am also running the Bit Defender Internet Security. Again, not sure if
> that is the contributing factor.

John

Re: Windows Vista Home Premium on HP Media Center PC
I have one of these monsters. I had to have the system board replaced...
the sound card was sucking the thing dry somehow and wouldn't play out
the digital port anyway. Took three weeks. Now the fire wire ports
aren't functioning properly. Rather than send it in for another
replacement I pulled the fax card out and stuck in an off the shelf iee
card and it's running ok for now. there is no room to put anything in
the stupid thing unless you pull something out. I'm never getting an HP
again.

Anyway... check all your hardware and ports.

Gess.

sponz wrote:
> From day 1, the PC hangs on start after the normal desktop appears for about
> 10 minutes. After that time it works fine. Each time I notice the following
> entries in the event log:
>
> The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service hung on starting.
> The Security Center service hung on starting.
> The Windows Update service hung on starting.
>
> Not sure if these are related. The machine is actually exhibiting symptoms
> of a 100% CPU utilisation as I noticed that it responds to mouse clicks after
> a considerable delay. After it's had its spat for 10 or so minutes it works
> fine.
>
> I am also running the Bit Defender Internet Security. Again, not sure if
> that is the contributing factor.

sponz

Re: Windows Vista Home Premium on HP Media Center PC
Thank Curt. That didn't do it, unfortunately. But I was able to discover one
more, probably an important consideration. The delay does not start when
Vista loads as I'd thought originally, it starts from the first touch of
keyboard or the first click of the mouse after starting the computer. In
other words, the PC can be in for an hour but when I click the mouse for the
first time after power-up, there is a 10 (or so) minute 'limbo' period as
described in my original post.

Thanks.

"Curt" wrote:

> Check network discovery. If you already
> have your network settings, you can probably turn
> network discovery off.
>
> --
> Curt
>

> "sponz" <sponz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > From day 1, the PC hangs on start after the normal desktop appears for
> > about
> > 10 minutes. After that time it works fine. Each time I notice the
> > following
> > entries in the event log:
> >
> > The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service hung on starting.
> > The Security Center service hung on starting.
> > The Windows Update service hung on starting.
> >
> > Not sure if these are related. The machine is actually exhibiting symptoms
> > of a 100% CPU utilisation as I noticed that it responds to mouse clicks
> > after
> > a considerable delay. After it's had its spat for 10 or so minutes it
> > works
> > fine.
> >
> > I am also running the Bit Defender Internet Security. Again, not sure if
> > that is the contributing factor.

sponz

Re: Windows Vista Home Premium on HP Media Center PC
I don't believe there is anything wrong with the hardware. Checked
everything, did a full diagnostic scan, all good. Anyway, after the 10min
stupor the machine works flawlessly.