Public folders

Carl G

Public folders

Hi Guys
How can I get rid of the public folders for keeps.
I don't use them and they are interfearing in my other programs.
Well , I guess they aren't interfearing with the programs .The Kodak
easyshare software I use insists on putting my pictures in the public
picture folder.
I don't want anything public on my pc.
Any way to corect this ?
Thanks
--
Carl G

brink

Re: Public folders

Carl G;567883 Wrote:
> Hi Guys
> How can I get rid of the public folders for keeps.
> I don't use them and they are interfearing in my other programs.
> Well , I guess they aren't interfearing with the programs .The Kodak
> easyshare software I use insists on putting my pictures in the public
> picture folder.
> I don't want anything public on my pc.
> Any way to corect this ?
> Thanks
> --
> Carl G

Hi Carl,

The Public folders are used as the default for all the user account
folders. They are integrated to deeply into Vista without having
problems if they were deleted. You can delete the contents of these
folders without problems, but I would recommend that you leave the
folders.

Shawn

--
brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Dave

Re: Public folders
The Public folders are used to share data between different user accounts,
if you have them.

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message

> Hi Guys
> How can I get rid of the public folders for keeps.
> I don't use them and they are interfearing in my other programs.
> Well , I guess they aren't interfearing with the programs .The Kodak
> easyshare software I use insists on putting my pictures in the public
> picture folder.
> I don't want anything public on my pc.
> Any way to corect this ?
> Thanks
> --
> Carl G

Carl G

Re: Public folders
Hi Dave
I am the only user on this pc and using an admin. acount.
That word public kinda scares me . How PUBLIC is it really ?
I have a network which is between my home pc and my shop pc .
I just have the feeling that if it is public anyone on the net can see it.
Open for more info.
Thanks

--
Carl G

"Dave" <dave@beepbeep.com> wrote in message
> The Public folders are used to share data between different user accounts,
> if you have them.
>
> --
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>
> "Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi Guys
>> How can I get rid of the public folders for keeps.
>> I don't use them and they are interfearing in my other programs.
>> Well , I guess they aren't interfearing with the programs .The Kodak
>> easyshare software I use insists on putting my pictures in the public
>> picture folder.
>> I don't want anything public on my pc.
>> Any way to corect this ?
>> Thanks
>> --
>> Carl G

Curt

Re: Public folders
Set your network profile to public, and
make sure password protected sharing is enabled.

Then, they're as secure as anything else on the system.
Someone would need your credentials to get into them.

By that time, I think they'd find something more useful to
do in the admin account than stare at empty folders.

--
Curt

> Hi Dave
> I am the only user on this pc and using an admin. acount.
> That word public kinda scares me . How PUBLIC is it really ?
> I have a network which is between my home pc and my shop pc .
> I just have the feeling that if it is public anyone on the net can see it.
> Open for more info.
> Thanks
>
> --
> Carl G
>
> "Dave" <dave@beepbeep.com> wrote in message
>> The Public folders are used to share data between different user
>> accounts, if you have them.
>>
>> --
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>>
>> "Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Hi Guys
>>> How can I get rid of the public folders for keeps.
>>> I don't use them and they are interfearing in my other programs.
>>> Well , I guess they aren't interfearing with the programs .The Kodak
>>> easyshare software I use insists on putting my pictures in the public
>>> picture folder.
>>> I don't want anything public on my pc.
>>> Any way to corect this ?
>>> Thanks
>>> --
>>> Carl G

Carl G

Re: Public folders
Hi Curt
Would that be more secure then a private network and not having them public
folders.
What is the main purpose of the public folders anyway ?
Thanks

--
Carl G

"Curt" <cdlevin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news52B2D05-F748-4673-85A3-EAA4F6267F61@microsoft.com...
> Set your network profile to public, and
> make sure password protected sharing is enabled.
>
> Then, they're as secure as anything else on the system.
> Someone would need your credentials to get into them.
>
> By that time, I think they'd find something more useful to
> do in the admin account than stare at empty folders.
>
> --
> Curt
>

> "Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message
>> Hi Dave
>> I am the only user on this pc and using an admin. acount.
>> That word public kinda scares me . How PUBLIC is it really ?
>> I have a network which is between my home pc and my shop pc .
>> I just have the feeling that if it is public anyone on the net can see
>> it.
>> Open for more info.
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Carl G
>>
>> "Dave" <dave@beepbeep.com> wrote in message
>>> The Public folders are used to share data between different user
>>> accounts, if you have them.
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

AJR

Re: Public folders
Public folders were labeled as Shared folders in XP - the folders are
available to any user on the computer and the network.

> Hi Curt
> Would that be more secure then a private network and not having them
> public folders.
> What is the main purpose of the public folders anyway ?
> Thanks
>
> --
> Carl G
>
> "Curt" <cdlevin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news52B2D05-F748-4673-85A3-EAA4F6267F61@microsoft.com...
>> Set your network profile to public, and
>> make sure password protected sharing is enabled.
>>
>> Then, they're as secure as anything else on the system.
>> Someone would need your credentials to get into them.
>>
>> By that time, I think they'd find something more useful to
>> do in the admin account than stare at empty folders.
>>
>> --
>> Curt
>>

>> "Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message
>>> Hi Dave
>>> I am the only user on this pc and using an admin. acount.
>>> That word public kinda scares me . How PUBLIC is it really ?
>>> I have a network which is between my home pc and my shop pc .
>>> I just have the feeling that if it is public anyone on the net can see
>>> it.
>>> Open for more info.
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> --
>>> Carl G

Curt

Re: Public folders
Public folders are for sharing info on a computer
or network that anyone can access, if you are sharing
info. On your computer, open to anyone with an
account. On a network, only if you allow file
sharing. They are shared by default.

A private network is simply that. Private.
Means a secured network.

A public network is an open type network. Airport,
library, etc. So the security is better in Vista when
it thinks you are accessing the network that way.

--
Curt

"Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message
> Hi Curt
> Would that be more secure then a private network and not having them
> public folders.
> What is the main purpose of the public folders anyway ?
> Thanks
>
> --
> Carl G
>
> "Curt" <cdlevin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news52B2D05-F748-4673-85A3-EAA4F6267F61@microsoft.com...
>> Set your network profile to public, and
>> make sure password protected sharing is enabled.
>>
>> Then, they're as secure as anything else on the system.
>> Someone would need your credentials to get into them.
>>
>> By that time, I think they'd find something more useful to
>> do in the admin account than stare at empty folders.
>>
>> --
>> Curt
>>

>> "Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message
>>> Hi Dave
>>> I am the only user on this pc and using an admin. acount.
>>> That word public kinda scares me . How PUBLIC is it really ?
>>> I have a network which is between my home pc and my shop pc .
>>> I just have the feeling that if it is public anyone on the net can see
>>> it.
>>> Open for more info.
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> --
>>> Carl G

Carl G

Re: Public folders
Hi Guys
Can you tell me this then , if the public folders are for shareing in MY
network , what is the My Shareing folder for ?
It doesen't get the same data in it.

--

news9AB8FAB-BDA9-45C5-95BF-9898BBABB008@microsoft.com...
> Public folders are for sharing info on a computer
> or network that anyone can access, if you are sharing
> info. On your computer, open to anyone with an
> account. On a network, only if you allow file
> sharing. They are shared by default.
>
> A private network is simply that. Private.
> Means a secured network.
>
> A public network is an open type network. Airport,
> library, etc. So the security is better in Vista when
> it thinks you are accessing the network that way.
>
> --
> Curt
>

> "Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message
>> Hi Curt
>> Would that be more secure then a private network and not having them
>> public folders.
>> What is the main purpose of the public folders anyway ?
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Carl G
>>
>> "Curt" <cdlevin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news52B2D05-F748-4673-85A3-EAA4F6267F61@microsoft.com...
>>> Set your network profile to public, and
>>> make sure password protected sharing is enabled.
>>>
>>> Then, they're as secure as anything else on the system.
>>> Someone would need your credentials to get into them.
>>>
>>> By that time, I think they'd find something more useful to
>>> do in the admin account than stare at empty folders.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Curt

Curt

Re: Public folders
My Sharing folder? Never seen one of those.

Do you have a third party networking app?

--
Curt