vista update failure

ernie

vista update failure
My vista desktop did an auto restart on its on last night and began
'updating' I left it on and went to bed.

This morning it was stuck on 'shutting down' I did a hard reset and
restarted in save network mode.

After the normal dos info on safe mode setup I got a screen saying
'configuring updates'

After about 15 minutes it went to shutting down and its been over 2 hours
shutting down.

I have no idea what 'updates' it is trying to install. My guess is whatever
came out on Tuesday as I use auto update/download.

I am using an older xp machine to write this question.

The vista machine was bought with vista ultimate installed in March of 07.
It is a dual core intel 2.4.

I have had no problems with update until today.

Guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Dag Korsnes

Re: vista update failure
ernie wrote:
> My vista desktop did an auto restart on its on last night and began
> 'updating' I left it on and went to bed.
>
> This morning it was stuck on 'shutting down' I did a hard reset and
> restarted in save network mode.
>
> After the normal dos info on safe mode setup I got a screen saying
> 'configuring updates'
>
> After about 15 minutes it went to shutting down and its been over 2 hours
> shutting down.
>
> I have no idea what 'updates' it is trying to install. My guess is whatever
> came out on Tuesday as I use auto update/download.
>
> I am using an older xp machine to write this question.
>
> The vista machine was bought with vista ultimate installed in March of 07.
> It is a dual core intel 2.4.
>
> I have had no problems with update until today.
>
> Guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> thanks

I had the same problem. Lots of reboots after automatic installation.
Nothing was installed. Then I chose to install one update at a time.
That worked after reboots. I was not able to install KB943411 however.
It seems to concern security with the sidebar.
Bill

Re: vista update failure

I have the same problem, succinctly described by ernie. I don't have the
time to approach it as Dag proposes. Yet.

I'm very frustrated. I've resorted to using a backup XP machine. I wonder
how many other frustrated Vista users are steaming right now around the world
???? :-(

Bill
Diane

Re: vista update failure
I am having the same problem - even when not connected to the internet. When
I go to shutdown the laptop it goes throught the normal shut down then a blue
screen stating not to power down or unplug the computer - installing updates.
I have waited over 24 hours and still had to perform a hard shutdown. This
can't be good. I could sure use some help with this one - brand new gateway
laptop I bought for my granddaughter at Christmas.
--
Di

"Bill" wrote:

> I have the same problem, succinctly described by ernie. I don't have the
> time to approach it as Dag proposes. Yet.
>
> I'm very frustrated. I've resorted to using a backup XP machine. I wonder
> how many other frustrated Vista users are steaming right now around the world
> ???? :-(
>
> Bill

onlineonly@gmail.com

Re: vista update failure
On Feb 5, 6:31*pm, Diane <dba...@woway.com> wrote:
> I am having the same problem - even when not connected to the internet. *When
> I go to shutdown the laptop it goes throught the normal shut down then a blue
> screen stating not to power down or unplug the computer - installing updates.
> *I have waited over 24 hours and still had to perform a hard shutdown. *This
> can't be good. *I could sure use some help with this one - brand new gateway
> laptop I bought for my granddaughter at Christmas.
> --
> Di
>

> "Bill" wrote:
>
> > I have the same problem, succinctly described by ernie. *I don't have the
> > time to approach it as Dag proposes. *Yet.

> > I'm very frustrated. *I've resorted to using a backup XP machine. *Iwonder
> > how many other frustrated Vista users are steaming right now around the world
> > ???? :-(

> > Bill- Hide quoted text -

I had the same problem after installing auto updates. Updated my bois
(motherboard ASUS P5Ld2) and also tried to boot in safe mode, neither
one helped. The following did the trick.....You can use your windows
vista DVD to go back to an earlier restore point. Boot up using your
Vista installation disk, you may need to make a change in your bios to
boot from your dvd. Get past the first screen asking you the the
language and time zone stuff, click next. Now at the bottom of the
screen on the left it will have a button to (repair), click on it.
You will then have several options of repair, I believe the third one
down is to restore to an early time. I just went back a few days from
the time the auto updated loaded, and wala back up and running again.
No need to do a full reinstall. Just do the restore point. You won't
even loose your current emails.

After rebooting I was able to load most of the recent updates. So far
I have narrowed it down to a pulished update between 1-29-07 and
8-14-07. I know that's a wide range but that's what I have so far.
That's what worked for me, hope this helps someone.

Did find a conflict with my D Link wireless adapter 2320, but I do not
think that was the reboot problem.

Ron
lylouk

Re: vista update failure

Hi

I had the same problem recently and tried the system restore as
mentioned in the previous post. Seems to work as I didn't have any
problems at all for a month or so. But today, the pc required installing
updates and there it started again - blue screen and refusing to shut
down. How can we ever solve this problem? And if we refuse to update,
that's not good either, is it?

--
lylouk