CPU load about 50% when pc is idle

Fesoj

CPU load about 50% when pc is idle
Hi,

I installed Vista recently and now, when I've got all updates and I've
installed few programs into Windows like Visual Studio, Mobile Device
Center, some SDKs etc, every time the system is idle the CPU load is 50%,
not exactly, but about 50%.

So I've tried to determine which process makes this CPU load. After Alt Ctrl
Delete and Task Manager I haven't got to know anything. I've installed
Process Explorer from Sysinternals. He told me process "System" makes this
high load. I've tried to "kill" process "System". Yes, load felt down. But
this isn't solution because after reboot it's the same.

Thanks in advance.

f/fgeorge

Re: CPU load about 50% when pc is idle
On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 18:23:25 +0100, "Fesoj"
<josef.donoval@jindrichovsu.cz> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I installed Vista recently and now, when I've got all updates and I've
>installed few programs into Windows like Visual Studio, Mobile Device
>Center, some SDKs etc, every time the system is idle the CPU load is 50%,
>not exactly, but about 50%.
>
>So I've tried to determine which process makes this CPU load. After Alt Ctrl
>Delete and Task Manager I haven't got to know anything. I've installed
>Process Explorer from Sysinternals. He told me process "System" makes this
>high load. I've tried to "kill" process "System". Yes, load felt down. But
>this isn't solution because after reboot it's the same.
>
>Thanks in advance.

system is just another word for things that are using system files
that are running. How much memory in the machine, Vista really needs 2
gig minimum. Also do you have any anti-virus or anti-spyware things
set to run on boot-up? Norton/Symantec and McAfee are notorius for
these types of scans.
Fesoj

Re: CPU load about 50% when pc is idle
Yes, system is only a word. I have 2 GB ram, 1.8 Dual core, it's Lenovo
ThinkPad series R61.

I have antivirus NOD32 only, which is small and fast and there is no scan
set on startup. Only init these services.

In process tree is "system" (it has cca 48% of cpu load) and under this
system is only smss of course (it has 0%).

Josef

"f/fgeorge" <ffgeorge@yourplace.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 18:23:25 +0100, "Fesoj"
> <josef.donoval@jindrichovsu.cz> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I installed Vista recently and now, when I've got all updates and I've
>>installed few programs into Windows like Visual Studio, Mobile Device
>>Center, some SDKs etc, every time the system is idle the CPU load is 50%,
>>not exactly, but about 50%.
>>
>>So I've tried to determine which process makes this CPU load. After Alt
>>Ctrl
>>Delete and Task Manager I haven't got to know anything. I've installed
>>Process Explorer from Sysinternals. He told me process "System" makes this
>>high load. I've tried to "kill" process "System". Yes, load felt down. But
>>this isn't solution because after reboot it's the same.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>>

> system is just another word for things that are using system files
> that are running. How much memory in the machine, Vista really needs 2
> gig minimum. Also do you have any anti-virus or anti-spyware things
> set to run on boot-up? Norton/Symantec and McAfee are notorius for
> these types of scans.

xiowan

RE: CPU load about 50% when pc is idle
Hello "Fesoj":
Just a thought......some internet service providers include MacAffee(and
others) in their internet program. Are you using Qwest DSL? I think they
include it with their internet program.......I don't know if it's transparent
to the user when you access the net thru a router or if it would show up in
your installed programs separately. This is probably a long shot but it
wouldn't surprise me if an ISP software program had it built right in
although I would think it would be visible to the user. Good luck.

xiowan........in tucson

"Fesoj" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed Vista recently and now, when I've got all updates and I've
> installed few programs into Windows like Visual Studio, Mobile Device
> Center, some SDKs etc, every time the system is idle the CPU load is 50%,
> not exactly, but about 50%.
>
> So I've tried to determine which process makes this CPU load. After Alt Ctrl
> Delete and Task Manager I haven't got to know anything. I've installed
> Process Explorer from Sysinternals. He told me process "System" makes this
> high load. I've tried to "kill" process "System". Yes, load felt down. But
> this isn't solution because after reboot it's the same.
>
> Thanks in advance.

JW

Re: CPU load about 50% when pc is idle
Unless you have indexing disabled on Vista it can take several days to index
all of the files which it does when the system is otherwise idle.
"Fesoj" <josef.donoval@jindrichovsu.cz> wrote in message
> Yes, system is only a word. I have 2 GB ram, 1.8 Dual core, it's Lenovo
> ThinkPad series R61.
>
> I have antivirus NOD32 only, which is small and fast and there is no scan
> set on startup. Only init these services.
>
> In process tree is "system" (it has cca 48% of cpu load) and under this
> system is only smss of course (it has 0%).
>
> Josef
>

> "f/fgeorge" <ffgeorge@yourplace.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 18:23:25 +0100, "Fesoj"
>> <josef.donoval@jindrichovsu.cz> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I installed Vista recently and now, when I've got all updates and I've
>>>installed few programs into Windows like Visual Studio, Mobile Device
>>>Center, some SDKs etc, every time the system is idle the CPU load is 50%,
>>>not exactly, but about 50%.
>>>
>>>So I've tried to determine which process makes this CPU load. After Alt
>>>Ctrl
>>>Delete and Task Manager I haven't got to know anything. I've installed
>>>Process Explorer from Sysinternals. He told me process "System" makes
>>>this
>>>high load. I've tried to "kill" process "System". Yes, load felt down.
>>>But
>>>this isn't solution because after reboot it's the same.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>>

>> system is just another word for things that are using system files
>> that are running. How much memory in the machine, Vista really needs 2
>> gig minimum. Also do you have any anti-virus or anti-spyware things
>> set to run on boot-up? Norton/Symantec and McAfee are notorius for
>> these types of scans.

Fesoj

Re: CPU load about 50% when pc is idle
I know. That was the reason I turned it off. I reinstalled OS and now it's
ok. It was fastest solution for me. But thanks to all for help.

F.