Warning: Miscategorised Windows Update

Julian

Warning: Miscategorised Windows Update
FYI The latest Windows Updates include Security Update KB941644 which is
rated as Important; is in fact Critical.

Windows Update provides only summary information and links; the reference
security bulletin at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-001.mspx
"Vulnerabilities in Windows TCP/IP Could Allow Remote Code Execution
(941644)" clearly says this update is in fact a Critical update for Vista
(and only Important or Moderate for other OS's)

If anyone knows how to notify Microsoft of such errors directly please could
they do so and/or let me know for future reference?

Thanks

--
Julian I-Do-Stuff

Some Vista stuff, but mostly just Stuff at http://berossus,blogspot.com

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Re: Warning: Miscategorised Windows Update
Done.

You can also email Secure@microsoft.com

Julian wrote:
> FYI The latest Windows Updates include Security Update KB941644 which is
> rated as Important; is in fact Critical.
>
> Windows Update provides only summary information and links; the
> reference security bulletin at
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-001.mspx
> "Vulnerabilities in Windows TCP/IP Could Allow Remote Code Execution
> (941644)" clearly says this update is in fact a Critical update for
> Vista (and only Important or Moderate for other OS's)
>
> If anyone knows how to notify Microsoft of such errors directly please
> could they do so and/or let me know for future reference?
>
> Thanks

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Re: Warning: Miscategorised Windows Update
Nevermind.

This is a case of Vista's MU is confusing.

Vista has smooshed the interface down so it only shows in the interface
the High priority aka Important and does not identify the criticality of
the patch in the window like XP does.

Important is not in terms of the patch security ... in their zeal to
simplify the interface they made it WAY more confusing.

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] wrote:
> Done.
>
> You can also email Secure@microsoft.com
>
> Julian wrote:
>> FYI The latest Windows Updates include Security Update KB941644 which
>> is rated as Important; is in fact Critical.
>>
>> Windows Update provides only summary information and links; the
>> reference security bulletin at
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-001.mspx
>> "Vulnerabilities in Windows TCP/IP Could Allow Remote Code Execution
>> (941644)" clearly says this update is in fact a Critical update for
>> Vista (and only Important or Moderate for other OS's)
>>
>> If anyone knows how to notify Microsoft of such errors directly please
>> could they do so and/or let me know for future reference?
>>
>> Thanks

Julian

Re: Warning: Miscategorised Windows Update
Thanks Susan - I am now older and wiser... again.

This sounds not unlike the Windows Update's report of installed updates
(which I reported hereabouts), which as Microsoft admits will legitimately
tell you that an update was installed when it hadn't been...

[A few more "improvements" like this and I shall be no more able to use my
computer than I am to use a photocopier thanks to the beautiful but
incomprehensible button icons...my personal favourite was the image of a
paperclip on a "button" in the control button group... does it clip/staple
collated output?... Does it hell! It's a magnetic holder for paperclips...
of course]

--

"Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]" <sbradcpa@pacbell.net>
wrote in message news:enyjrfyUIHA.2368@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Nevermind.
>
> This is a case of Vista's MU is confusing.
>
> Vista has smooshed the interface down so it only shows in the interface
> the High priority aka Important and does not identify the criticality of
> the patch in the window like XP does.
>
> Important is not in terms of the patch security ... in their zeal to
> simplify the interface they made it WAY more confusing.
>
> Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] wrote:
>> Done.
>>
>> You can also email Secure@microsoft.com
>>
>> Julian wrote:
>>> FYI The latest Windows Updates include Security Update KB941644 which is
>>> rated as Important; is in fact Critical.
>>>
>>> Windows Update provides only summary information and links; the
>>> reference security bulletin at
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-001.mspx
>>> "Vulnerabilities in Windows TCP/IP Could Allow Remote Code Execution
>>> (941644)" clearly says this update is in fact a Critical update for
>>> Vista (and only Important or Moderate for other OS's)
>>>
>>> If anyone knows how to notify Microsoft of such errors directly please
>>> could they do so and/or let me know for future reference?
>>>
>>> Thanks

Quaoar

Julian wrote:
> FYI The latest Windows Updates include Security Update KB941644 which is
> rated as Important; is in fact Critical.
>
> Windows Update provides only summary information and links; the
> reference security bulletin at
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-001.mspx
> "Vulnerabilities in Windows TCP/IP Could Allow Remote Code Execution
> (941644)" clearly says this update is in fact a Critical update for
> Vista (and only Important or Moderate for other OS's)
>
> If anyone knows how to notify Microsoft of such errors directly please
> could they do so and/or let me know for future reference?
>
> Thanks

So, do we Vista users need to contribute to the Vista Programmers' Soup
and Donut fund?

What's up with all of these errors on Vista, Xbox and Xbox Live, and
whatever?

Is the carpet worn out in the offices?