chk disk utility won't work

Dar

chk disk utility won't work
I'm not able to make the check disk utility work. I have Vista Ultimate and
have tried rescheduling by right clicking the C drive and tools method and
via the chkdsk/f method and disk check utility never executes. I also tried
disabling my virus checker, AVG Free, but achieve the same results.
--
Thanks
Curt

Re: chk disk utility won't work

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/32443/en-us
--
Curt

"Dar" <Dar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm not able to make the check disk utility work. I have Vista Ultimate
> and
> have tried rescheduling by right clicking the C drive and tools method and
> via the chkdsk/f method and disk check utility never executes. I also
> tried
> disabling my virus checker, AVG Free, but achieve the same results.
> --
> Thanks

Curt

Re: chk disk utility won't work
I need to clarify this...
So, in addition to this, I went ahead and ran a disk error check.

Firstly, select computer, then right click on the drive.

properties> tools> error checking> click on check now

UAC prompt, enter password or continue.

Click on start

The box will come up asking you if you want to
check the drive on the next computer start.

Click Schedule disk check.

Then, you need to cold boot the machine. That means, you
have to do a full shutdown, not a warm boot.

On a warm boot, the computer has write protections enabled.

if you start from a cold boot, the check should run normally.
--
Curt

"Curt" <cdlevin@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Curt
>

> "Dar" <Dar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I'm not able to make the check disk utility work. I have Vista Ultimate
>> and
>> have tried rescheduling by right clicking the C drive and tools method
>> and
>> via the chkdsk/f method and disk check utility never executes. I also
>> tried
>> disabling my virus checker, AVG Free, but achieve the same results.
>> --
>> Thanks

brink

Dar;566449 Wrote:
> I'm not able to make the check disk utility work. I have Vista Ultimate
> and
> have tried rescheduling by right clicking the C drive and tools method
> and
> via the chkdsk/f method and disk check utility never executes. I also
> tried
> disabling my virus checker, AVG Free, but achieve the same results.
> --
> Thanks

Hi Dar,

See the NOTE at the top, and see if try Method Two step 6B will work
for you after restarting the computer.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-checkdisk.html

Shawn

--
brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Curt

Re: chk disk utility won't work
According to MS, you shouldn't use the command line version of
chkdsk on an installed system after dos.

But, the problem with it not running on reboot is
that the file system has some kind of write protection enabled
that doesn't go away after a warm boot. I got it to run without
issue on restart by shutting it down first, waiting 30 seconds
or so, then booting it up and letting it run. You may want
to try it. It would be just like option one on the web page below.
But you have to shut it all the way off. If that makes sense.

--
Curt

"brink" <brink.32xw7d@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Dar;566449 Wrote:
>> I'm not able to make the check disk utility work. I have Vista Ultimate
>> and
>> have tried rescheduling by right clicking the C drive and tools method
>> and
>> via the chkdsk/f method and disk check utility never executes. I also
>> tried
>> disabling my virus checker, AVG Free, but achieve the same results.
>> --
>> Thanks

> Hi Dar,
>
> See the NOTE at the top, and see if try Method Two step 6B will work
> for you after restarting the computer.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-checkdisk.html
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> '*Vista Forums*'
> (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)

Dar

Re: chk disk utility won't work
Thanks Curt and Brink for getting back to me. I tried both methods you
suggested and made sure I did a full shutdown before I booted. Results are
still the same, chk disk didn't start.

By the way, the reason I'm wanting to use check disk is upon startup, I get
an error box that states C:\Program Files (x86)\HP directory is corrupt and
unreadable.

--
Thanks

Dar;569089 Wrote:
> Thanks Curt and Brink for getting back to me. I tried both methods you
> suggested and made sure I did a full shutdown before I booted. Results
> are
> still the same, chk disk didn't start.
>
> By the way, the reason I'm wanting to use check disk is upon startup, I
> get
> an error box that states C:\Program Files (x86)\HP directory is corrupt
> and
> unreadable.
>
> --
> Thanks
>

> "Curt" wrote:
> > > >
> > > According to MS, you shouldn't use the command line version of
> > > chkdsk on an installed system after dos.
> > >
> > > But, the problem with it not running on reboot is
> > > that the file system has some kind of write protection enabled
> > > that doesn't go away after a warm boot. I got it to run without
> > > issue on restart by shutting it down first, waiting 30 seconds
> > > or so, then booting it up and letting it run. You may want
> > > to try it. It would be just like option one on the web page below.
> > > But you have to shut it all the way off. If that makes sense.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Curt
> > >

> > > "brink" <brink.32xw7d@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

Dar,

Since it is in a Program Folder, you might try reinstalling the program
that is using that folder to see if it can repair the corruption.

Shawn

--
brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
JW

Re: chk disk utility won't work
chk disk does not work on Vista.

JW;569148 Wrote:
> chk disk does not work on Vista.
> "brink" <brink.330652@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
> news:brink.330652@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net...> > >
> > >
> > > Dar;569089 Wrote:
> > >
> > > Dar,
> > >
> > > Since it is in a Program Folder, you might try reinstalling the

> > program
> > > that is using that folder to see if it can repair the corruption.
> > >
> > > Shawn
> > >

> > > --
> > > brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> > > '*Vista Forums*'
> > > (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.* > >

Hi JW,

I use chkdsk in Vista all the time without any problems using the
method quoted above. Chkdsk will not fix everything though.

Shawn

--
brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
JW

Re: chk disk utility won't work
My error I was thinking of something else related to repair from an
installation CD/DVD.