vista slower and slower startup

Neus

vista slower and slower startup
I'm currently running Vista Ultimate 64bit edition and I've noticed that my
once very quick boot time is now down to a sluggish pace. The problem is
that it takes a few minutes to get to the login screen it seems, but once i
login it seems to go fast again and at its proper speed for my machine (quad
core 2.4ghz, 4gigs of ram).

I've tried disabling the index, unplugging all my usb devices except my
keyboard and mouse, changing prefetch and superfetch to only boot items (as
once im in windows everything is blazing fast), msconfig is currently only
allowing 2 programs to start (and it always has, catalyst control center and
kaspersky antivirus), ive tried disabling features i dont need (dreamscene,
etc), disabling system restore, etc.

....and all it seems to do is make my computer take longer to boot...

suggestions? ive tried googling the problem but most results just show how
people are complaining bout slow startup with 1 gig of ram and/or with a
bunch of programs on startup.

Thanks,
Mary

RE: vista slower and slower startup
I am also running Windows Vista Ultimate with 3gigs of ram and dual core
2.0ghz. I am having that same problem with windows loading slowly with my
new laptop from dell. It is also getting worse. Now when you try to open
windows explorer or the start menu or if you are online and you want to
download a file and save it, it takes about 30 seconds to bring up the window
and then the computer kinda locks up for about 3 or 4 minutes before it
finishes loading. During this waiting time if you click anywhere on the
window it will come up and say windows explorer or windows is not responding
and it asks if you want to close and restart or wait. If you wait then
eventually, most of the time, it will come on up. I have scanned for viruses
and find nothing, and I also have disabled all startup programs and taken it
down to running only basic applications. If you get the problem worked out
please let me know.