System Backup: Access denied (0x80070005)

David

System Backup: Access denied (0x80070005)
Just thought I would let everyone know that I solved this problem for my
situation when I tried to do a system backup today and came up against the
dreaded "Access is denied" notice, with the explanation that the backup
devices could not be found. I had previously done a backup to an external
hard disk with no problems. Now that external drive was configured as two
volumes each with its own drive letter. What I can't remember is if I divided
the drive after I did the backup or before the backup. Notwithstanding I
could see the previous windows image backup using Explorer on volume 1, but
every time I went to do a new backup I got the error message. My original
idea was to do a new backup on one of the volumes and then the next backup
down the track on the other volume and the next on the first volume by
overwriting it, and so on. To cut a long story short, there was no way I
could get around the error message until I deleted the two volumes on that
drive and made it back into one volume, re-formatted as NTFS and voila, now
it works again. I even went into Safe Mode and gave myself all security
permissions on both volumes and I went into System Admin and gave myself
'Backup' privileges, (probably an un-necessary step). So if you are having a
similar backup problem and you get this error code, I suggest you look at
your backup drive very carefully to see that it is there and formatted and
'active' and a silmple volume, etc. The best place to check this is to go to
Control Panel; System & Maintenance; Administrative Tools; Computer
Management; Storage; Disk Management and then wait for it to draw out the
drives and then right click on indivdual drives for further options. Don't
fiddle with the last items if you don't know what you are doing.
John Randle

RE: System Backup: Access denied (0x80070005)
David .. I hope you (or someone) can help me with a similar problem. I have
3 boxes, 2 VISTA Home Premium and 1 XP Pro .. all on a LAN. One VISTA box has
an external (USB) HD connected for general backup purposes. THe VISTA box
that has the drive connected can run a backup with no problem .. as can the
XP Pro box (over the LAN). However, the other VISTA box gets the 0x80070005
error indicating an access problem. The exernal HD is shared with "everyone"
having full control priv. The funny thing is that I can assess the HD from
the second VISTA box with no problem and write to it .. but backup will not
run.
I looked at the Storage; Disk Management tab as suggested and did not see
anything strange. The HD is an single, simple, NTFS partition.
--
John

"David" wrote:

> Just thought I would let everyone know that I solved this problem for my
> situation when I tried to do a system backup today and came up against the
> dreaded "Access is denied" notice, with the explanation that the backup
> devices could not be found. I had previously done a backup to an external
> hard disk with no problems. Now that external drive was configured as two
> volumes each with its own drive letter. What I can't remember is if I divided
> the drive after I did the backup or before the backup. Notwithstanding I
> could see the previous windows image backup using Explorer on volume 1, but
> every time I went to do a new backup I got the error message. My original
> idea was to do a new backup on one of the volumes and then the next backup
> down the track on the other volume and the next on the first volume by
> overwriting it, and so on. To cut a long story short, there was no way I
> could get around the error message until I deleted the two volumes on that
> drive and made it back into one volume, re-formatted as NTFS and voila, now
> it works again. I even went into Safe Mode and gave myself all security
> permissions on both volumes and I went into System Admin and gave myself
> 'Backup' privileges, (probably an un-necessary step). So if you are having a
> similar backup problem and you get this error code, I suggest you look at
> your backup drive very carefully to see that it is there and formatted and
> 'active' and a silmple volume, etc. The best place to check this is to go to
> Control Panel; System & Maintenance; Administrative Tools; Computer
> Management; Storage; Disk Management and then wait for it to draw out the
> drives and then right click on indivdual drives for further options. Don't
> fiddle with the last items if you don't know what you are doing.

Mr Bill

Re: System Backup: Access denied (0x80070005)

I had the same error, but found that in my case it was caused by Norton
Anti-Virus. Norton detected that a backup file created by Windows
Backup was a virus and deleted it during the backup. I disabled
Auto-Protect and the backup completed successfully.

--
Mr Bill
J├╝rg

Re: System Backup: Access denied (0x80070005)
I also experienced conflict with AntiVirus Software (GData).

While there is no log with Backup, the GData log showed, that there was an
attempt to open an infected file (that I want to keep for demo).
The bad thing about it was, that there was no GData message on the screen,
just the 0x80070005 message from Backup (which made me search for hours).

I temporarily turned off my AntiVirus Software and ran Backup without
problems.
Hope this may help.