Vista 64 Install problems, Help!!!!

2hi4me2cu

Vista 64 Install problems, Help!!!!

Hi people,

Im new to the forums and only found them due to my current problem -

Ive built my own pc, xp works great but i needed a new HD due to
running out of space so thought 'why not upgrade to vista also'

i brought an OEM vista 64.

So anyway, it takes about 4 to 6 hours to complete the installation on
a new, unused hard drive.

once its installed it runs unimaginably slow, those of you who love
your pc's know how i feel, just opening controll panell takes about 4 -
5 mins.

oh, it also occasionally doesnt want to boot from the HD, even after
the install i go into bios settings and tell it to boot directly from
the hdd, apparently theres boot files missing or something.

My PC specs are -

Asus P5N32 deluxe sli / wifi
4 gig ocz ram
8800gtx
2 x 150 gb HD / my old one is 7200rpm / new install hd is 10000rpm
750wat psu

Now i rreeeaaallly want it to work, but ive spent the whole weekend on
it and just cant seem to pinpoint the problems... the only ideas i have
are...

-Vista cant detect my 8800gfx card and says im using 'standard vga'
possably slowing everything down using the cpu for gfx?

-SATA or RAID drivers (i dont know what they are)

-I heard you cant install vista with 4gb ram, you need to take some out
and use 2 gb for the install untill you can patch?

-maybee some drivers im missing?????

Im hoping some of you have overcome my problem and can help me,

-Thanks.

--
2hi4me2cu
Mark

Re: Vista 64 Install problems, Help!!!!
You can try to start over (since the number of possibilities is rather
large.)
If there is anything here you don't feel comfortable doing, get more details
first.

Make sure your BIOS is the latest revision.
If you have onboard video, or a different video card, remove the 8800gts.
If you have an audo card, remove it. (especially if it is Creative)
Remove the older hard drive.
Pull two gig from the motherboard and install using only two gigabytes.
When you are asked, opt not to update during the installation.
When you install, use the option to remove all partitions from the hard
drive and reformat. Then, create at least one partition.
To save you trouble later, make this partition about 50GB.
Partition the rest of the disk with no more than two more paritions
(Total of three.)

Installation hopefully goes well (and faster than 4 hours!)
If it hangs up around 64%, try again.

With this done, shutdown the machine and install the other 2 gig of memory.
On the first boot, stop at the BIOS and find an entry that allows Memory
Hole Remapping. (Enable it.)

Let the machine come up, then shut it down.
Install the 8800gts video card and start the machine. Once up, install only
the latest (x64) driver from the nVidia website.
Shutdown the machine and install the audio card (if removed.)
Restart and install the latest audio driver for your card.

Now... if you really want that second hard drive installed...
Shutdown the machine.
Verify that faster hard drive is in the primary slot on the cable, the
slower drive in the secondary slot.
Verify that the configuration pins are set for Master (primary) and Slave.
(Not always necessary, but the differences may warrant this.)
Restart the machine.

If all is well, now activate Windows and update Windows via the links.

Good luck!