disc defragmenter

PinGame Journal

disc defragmenter
Where is disc defrag? Can I find it with window explorer? Can I see, like I
did with XP, a graph, what it's gonna do and see how the progress is going?
or do I just have to watch the little ring going around and hope all is well
with no idea if it will "take from a few minutes or a few hours"?
Rick Rogers

Re: disc defragmenter
Hi,

Defrag no longer uses a graphical interface where a user just sits and
watches blocks move and does nothing useful with their machine. It runs now
as a scheduled low-priority process in the background. There are several
good third party defrag utilities available if your desire is to watch the
blocks move.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"PinGame Journal" <PinGameJournal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E3B53FC0-18DD-4217-82B5-4AAAF6AE477E@microsoft.com...
> Where is disc defrag? Can I find it with window explorer? Can I see, like
> did with XP, a graph, what it's gonna do and see how the progress is
> going?
> or do I just have to watch the little ring going around and hope all is
> well
> with no idea if it will "take from a few minutes or a few hours"?

Michael Walraven

Re: disc defragmenter
Right click on the drive (I.e. c
properties
tools
Defragment now.

You will not get any feedback graphs.
You get a rotating circle and a comment that this could take from a few
minutes to several hours (or something like that)

It is designed to defragment as needed in the background.

Michael
Vista Home premium

"PinGame Journal" <PinGameJournal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E3B53FC0-18DD-4217-82B5-4AAAF6AE477E@microsoft.com...
> Where is disc defrag? Can I find it with window explorer? Can I see, like
> did with XP, a graph, what it's gonna do and see how the progress is
> going?
> or do I just have to watch the little ring going around and hope all is
> well
> with no idea if it will "take from a few minutes or a few hours"?

Dave T.

Re: disc defragmenter
PinGame Journal wrote:
> Where is disc defrag? Can I find it with window explorer? Can I see, like I
> did with XP, a graph, what it's gonna do and see how the progress is going?
> or do I just have to watch the little ring going around and hope all is well
> with no idea if it will "take from a few minutes or a few hours"?

Start >all programs >accessories >system tools >disk defragmenter.

--
Dave T.

"Many people die at twenty-five and aren't buried
until they are seventy-five".
Benjamin Franklin
Zebra Code

Re: disc defragmenter

"Dave T." <davey@MyPlace.net> ha scritto
> PinGame Journal wrote:
>> Where is disc defrag? Can I find it with window explorer? Can I see, like
>> I did with XP, a graph, what it's gonna do and see how the progress is
>> going? or do I just have to watch the little ring going around and hope
>> all is well with no idea if it will "take from a few minutes or a few
>> hours"?

> Start >all programs >accessories >system tools >disk defragmenter.

in my startmenu is elliptically named 'dfrgui'.
if 'ui' is for 'user interface', i'd like to meet the guy (or g-ui :P) who
designed it like this...
just starts and says 'analysis could take several minutes'...
.... after many of which, i shut it down, downloaded auslogics disk defrag,
and am happy with it.
fast, btw.
http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag/index.php

ciao, ZC