Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Disk thrashing

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2008
John Burnie
 

Posts: n/a
Disk thrashing
I'm sorry to bring it up, I'm sure that it has been seen 1,000 times before.
When I type anything (in fact, I think that it is AS I type anything) in the
Start Menu search box, the hard disk starts thrashing, and as far as I can
tell goes on forever. The system becomes very slow for other applications. If
I put the computer to sleep, the thrashing starts again as soon as it wakes
up. It is ok if I close it down and wait a few seconds before a cold boot.

Performance Monitor shows that the active program is scvhost.exe.

I'll offer system details if that would help.
--
John Burnie
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2008
AJ
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Disk thrashing
May be time to install a anti virus programme and let it have at the hard
drive, then defragment. Or maybe just Fdisk, Format, and reload your O/S to
see if the hard drive may act differently.
"John Burnie" <john.burnie@srpsNOSPAM.org.uk> wrote in message
news:2BBDDC1B-3D59-4DA5-904A-BC663AE27187@microsoft.com...
> I'm sorry to bring it up, I'm sure that it has been seen 1,000 times
> before.
> When I type anything (in fact, I think that it is AS I type anything) in
> the
> Start Menu search box, the hard disk starts thrashing, and as far as I can
> tell goes on forever. The system becomes very slow for other applications.
> If
> I put the computer to sleep, the thrashing starts again as soon as it
> wakes
> up. It is ok if I close it down and wait a few seconds before a cold boot.
>
> Performance Monitor shows that the active program is scvhost.exe.
>
> I'll offer system details if that would help.
> --
> John Burnie


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2008
John Burnie
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Disk thrashing
Thanks AJ.

I'm hoping to avoid reloading the OS. The anti virus program that I have is
Bullguard, which seems to do its job very well.

Since posting, I have found
http://vistarewired.com/2007/04/27/f...ers-resources/
which lets you find which processes are running the many instances of
svchost.exe which occur. It may help.

As of now, I'm not sure what process is started by typing in the Start -
Search box. That's the one that I aim to stop.
--
John Burnie


"AJ" wrote:

> May be time to install a anti virus programme and let it have at the hard
> drive, then defragment. Or maybe just Fdisk, Format, and reload your O/S to
> see if the hard drive may act differently.
> "John Burnie" <john.burnie@srpsNOSPAM.org.uk> wrote in message
> news:2BBDDC1B-3D59-4DA5-904A-BC663AE27187@microsoft.com...
> > I'm sorry to bring it up, I'm sure that it has been seen 1,000 times
> > before.
> > When I type anything (in fact, I think that it is AS I type anything) in
> > the
> > Start Menu search box, the hard disk starts thrashing, and as far as I can
> > tell goes on forever. The system becomes very slow for other applications.
> > If
> > I put the computer to sleep, the thrashing starts again as soon as it
> > wakes
> > up. It is ok if I close it down and wait a few seconds before a cold boot.
> >
> > Performance Monitor shows that the active program is scvhost.exe.
> >
> > I'll offer system details if that would help.
> > --
> > John Burnie

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2008
EW
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Disk thrashing

"John Burnie" <john.burnie@srpsNOSPAM.org.uk> wrote in message
news:2BBDDC1B-3D59-4DA5-904A-BC663AE27187@microsoft.com...
> I'm sorry to bring it up, I'm sure that it has been seen 1,000 times
> before.
> When I type anything (in fact, I think that it is AS I type anything) in
> the
> Start Menu search box, the hard disk starts thrashing, and as far as I can
> tell goes on forever. The system becomes very slow for other applications.
> If
> I put the computer to sleep, the thrashing starts again as soon as it
> wakes
> up. It is ok if I close it down and wait a few seconds before a cold boot.
>
> Performance Monitor shows that the active program is scvhost.exe.
>
> I'll offer system details if that would help.


I'm quite certain that the disk thrashing is caused by Vista searching for
what you're typing in the search box. This would be true especially if
Indexing is turned off -- thereby Vista has to "start from scratch" to find
what you're looking for. Now, if your situation is that Vista is thrashing
more than you think it should, then turn OFF Indexing and any other
scheduled tasks such as defragmentation, virus scanning, etc. I did, and my
thrashing days are gone. Besides, if you don't do a lot of desktop
"searches" then you should be able to live with the occasional disk activity
when you do.

EW


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2008
John Burnie
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Disk thrashing
Thanks EW,
I agree that Vista is searching for my search term - once started, it seems
to go on even after finding it! I have the indexing service turned off, also
defrag and automatic virus scanning of the hard disk.

I had System Restore turned off too, but I prefer to have the lifeboat
available! Vista is hard work, but now that I can look in Task Manager for
Processes and for Services I think that I can solve this...
--
John Burnie


"EW" wrote:

>
> "John Burnie" <john.burnie@srpsNOSPAM.org.uk> wrote in message
> news:2BBDDC1B-3D59-4DA5-904A-BC663AE27187@microsoft.com...
> > I'm sorry to bring it up, I'm sure that it has been seen 1,000 times
> > before.
> > When I type anything (in fact, I think that it is AS I type anything) in
> > the
> > Start Menu search box, the hard disk starts thrashing, and as far as I can
> > tell goes on forever. The system becomes very slow for other applications.
> > If
> > I put the computer to sleep, the thrashing starts again as soon as it
> > wakes
> > up. It is ok if I close it down and wait a few seconds before a cold boot.
> >
> > Performance Monitor shows that the active program is scvhost.exe.
> >
> > I'll offer system details if that would help.

>
> I'm quite certain that the disk thrashing is caused by Vista searching for
> what you're typing in the search box. This would be true especially if
> Indexing is turned off -- thereby Vista has to "start from scratch" to find
> what you're looking for. Now, if your situation is that Vista is thrashing
> more than you think it should, then turn OFF Indexing and any other
> scheduled tasks such as defragmentation, virus scanning, etc. I did, and my
> thrashing days are gone. Besides, if you don't do a lot of desktop
> "searches" then you should be able to live with the occasional disk activity
> when you do.
>
> EW
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2008
jk0028
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Disk thrashing

same problem with disk thrashing - INDEXING is DISABLED and still
thrashing. superfetch disabled, ready boost, sytem restore,
anti-virus... disabled. nothing has stopped thrashing. this is insane.


--
jk0028
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2008
Dave
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Disk thrashing
Backup running?
Windows Defender/antispyware scan?
WMP/iTunes searching for music?
Defrag?


--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview


"jk0028" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:c858aed69c9a4a1d022deb90b5ba86bd@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> same problem with disk thrashing - INDEXING is DISABLED and still
> thrashing. superfetch disabled, ready boost, sytem restore,
> anti-virus... disabled. nothing has stopped thrashing. this is insane.
>
>
> --
> jk0028


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2008
jk0028
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Disk thrashing

all shut down. performance monitor shows writing to C:\$LogFile (NTFS
Volume Log).

system restore has also been disabled.


--
jk0028
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2008
jk0028
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Disk thrashing

also did a full system restore through hp tech support. still thrashing
about twice a week.


--
jk0028
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2008
ELW
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Disk thrashing

"jk0028" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:c858aed69c9a4a1d022deb90b5ba86bd@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> same problem with disk thrashing - INDEXING is DISABLED and still
> thrashing. superfetch disabled, ready boost, sytem restore,
> anti-virus... disabled. nothing has stopped thrashing. this is insane.
>


Same here (Dell XPS 410, Vista Home Prem). I guess we'll just have to get
used to it. I think in the near future, there may be an initial rash of
hard drive failures for many users -- after getting thrashed for many months
since Vista's appearance.

However, your hard drive WILL show activity every second if you have your
optical drive set to autostart (or whatever it's called). It's the same in
XP.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista Disk Thrashing HrundiBakshi microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 8 10-10-2007 21:47
Explorer.exe disk thrashing Thomas Turn Jensen microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 2 06-02-2007 23:45
Hard Drive thrashing Byron Hinson microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 03-01-2007 15:49
Disk Thrashing bvandew microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 03-01-2007 02:57
Continuous Disk Thrashing bvandew microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 5 02-28-2007 14:15




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:01.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120