disk defragmentation for VIsta

Kiko

disk defragmentation for VIsta
The disk defragmentor that came with Vista shows only a circulating icon as
it progresses. Is there a defragmentor which shows a) how badly the disk
looks iniitally and b) how the defragmenting is progressing (as in my old XP
system?

Thanks!
Chewie

RE: disk defragmentation for VIsta

"Kiko" wrote:

> The disk defragmentor that came with Vista shows only a circulating icon as
> it progresses. Is there a defragmentor which shows a) how badly the disk
> looks iniitally and b) how the defragmenting is progressing (as in my old XP
> system?
>
> Thanks!

Executive Diskeeper or, my personal favourite, Raxco Perfectdisk.
IMO the XP defrag tool's representation was pointless and I haven't even
looked at the Vista tool, just went straight for Perfectdisk.
Riffrafter

"Kiko" <Kiko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The disk defragmentor that came with Vista shows only a circulating icon
> as
> it progresses. Is there a defragmentor which shows a) how badly the disk
> looks iniitally and b) how the defragmenting is progressing (as in my old
> XP
> system?
>
> Thanks!

Just answered the same question on on the vista.general newsgroup.

I really prefer Auslogics Disk Defragger to the internal Vista defragger.
It's fast, free, shows you a graphical representation of activity (better
than XP's by far)
and gives you the ability to select which drives you want to
defrag. You can find it here if you're interested:

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software...efrag/download

Good luck.

-Riff

Zebra Code

Re: disk defragmentation for VIsta

"Riffrafter"

> "Kiko"
>> Is there a defragmentor which shows a) how badly the disk
>> looks iniitally and b) how the defragmenting is progressing (as in my old
>> XPsystem?

> I really prefer Auslogics Disk Defragger to the internal Vista defragger.

i'll second this.
ZC

bvr

Re: disk defragmentation for VIsta
Thanks for the ideas! I liked the windows 98 version of defrag, which showed
the little colour coded blocks being moved around. Then xp only showed a
percentage, and now vista makes it a total secret, not even (as far as I can
see) confirmation that the defrag did anything.

My other problem is that you can schedule it to run, but when you go back to
check what you scheduled, it switches back to 'never'! so it doesnt run.
This feature worked in windows 98, and was gone in xp, and is now back but
doesnt work?? I am really confused by this level of 'progress'! LOL.

"Zebra Code" wrote:

> "Riffrafter"
>
> > "Kiko"
> >> Is there a defragmentor which shows a) how badly the disk
> >> looks iniitally and b) how the defragmenting is progressing (as in my old
> >> XPsystem?

> > I really prefer Auslogics Disk Defragger to the internal Vista defragger.

> i'll second this.
> ZC

bvr

Re: disk defragmentation for VIsta
I just downloaded Auslogics Disk Defragger and ran it. It found and fixed
105 fragmented files. (1.1%). I know that is not a lot, BUT...I ran windows
vista disk defragmentor this morning!!

I am sold on the Auslogics program. Thanks again for the information
everyone!! Has anyone tried their registry cleaner? It costs money, and I
was wondering if anyone on here has tried it?

"Zebra Code" wrote:

> "Riffrafter"
>
> > "Kiko"
> >> Is there a defragmentor which shows a) how badly the disk
> >> looks iniitally and b) how the defragmenting is progressing (as in my old
> >> XPsystem?

> > I really prefer Auslogics Disk Defragger to the internal Vista defragger.

> i'll second this.
> ZC

Mike Hall - MVP

"bvr" <bvr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just downloaded Auslogics Disk Defragger and ran it. It found and fixed
> 105 fragmented files. (1.1%). I know that is not a lot, BUT...I ran
> windows
> vista disk defragmentor this morning!!
>
> I am sold on the Auslogics program. Thanks again for the information
> everyone!! Has anyone tried their registry cleaner? It costs money, and I
> was wondering if anyone on here has tried it?
>

> "Zebra Code" wrote:
>

>> "Riffrafter"
>>
>> > "Kiko"

>> > I really prefer Auslogics Disk Defragger to the internal Vista
>> > defragger.

>> i'll second this.
>> ZC

Disk defragmentation never stops in reality. As soon as Auslogics says it
has completed, it has, but only up to that point.

The essence of Vista defrag is that it quietly works away in the background,
constantly attending to the drive..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

bvr

Re: disk defragmentation for VIsta
In that case Mike, it is really confusing that Vista lists the option to
schedule defragmentor...and that function is not working on my version of
Vista. It claims that the last time it defragmented was January, when I
manually last told it to do so. That is really confusing, if it is
constantly doing it, but is keeping it a secret.