svchost.exe memory usage

vistauser

svchost.exe memory usage
Hello,
I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit installed with all the important updates.
My hardware is as follow:
Intel Pentium D 2.8GHZ
2GB DDR2 Ram
My problem is that the memory usage is always at 40%-55% even when I close
all the applications.
I've noticed that I have a lot of svchost.exe files running and some of them
are taking more than 100MB of memory.I have a lot of services running
associated with those svchost files.
What's weird is that memory usage goes down to less than 30% when I use the
"low power state" to "turn off" the PC & then turn it back on. But then, The
memory usage eventually goes up to 40%-55%.
I think that it's a problem because in the system requiremenets for Windows
Vista Ultimate, It's written that I need just 1GB of RAM to run Windows Vista
properly.
But the constant memory usage is either near 1GB or more than 1GB. Maybe I
should stop some of the unneeded services to reduce the memory usage?
Will it do any better if I'll install the service pack 1 for Windows Vista?
I can just buy 1 more GB of RAM, But I just would like to know whether the
high memory usage is a problem or there's nothing wrong with that.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
ZebraCode

Re: svchost.exe memory usage

"vistauser" <vistauser@discussions.microsoft.com>
> Hello,
> I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit installed with all the important
> updates.
> My hardware is as follow:
> Intel Pentium D 2.8GHZ
> 2GB DDR2 Ram
> My problem is that the memory usage is always at 40%-55% even when I close
> all the applications.
> I've noticed that I have a lot of svchost.exe files running and some of
> them
> are taking more than 100MB of memory.I have a lot of services running
> associated with those svchost files.
> What's weird is that memory usage goes down to less than 30% when I use
> the
> "low power state" to "turn off" the PC & then turn it back on. But then,
> The
> memory usage eventually goes up to 40%-55%.
> I think that it's a problem because in the system requiremenets for
> Windows
> Vista Ultimate, It's written that I need just 1GB of RAM to run Windows
> Vista
> properly.
> But the constant memory usage is either near 1GB or more than 1GB. Maybe I
> should stop some of the unneeded services to reduce the memory usage?
> Will it do any better if I'll install the service pack 1 for Windows
> Vista?
> I can just buy 1 more GB of RAM, But I just would like to know whether the
> high memory usage is a problem or there's nothing wrong with that.
> Thanks in advance for any advice!

http://vistarewired.com/2007/02/18/services/

http://www.speedyvista.com/services.html

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

hth, z.

vistauser

Re: svchost.exe memory usage
Thanks for your response!
Just disabled a few unneeded services & svchost.exe files are taking much
less resources now!
Thanks for the useful links!

"ZebraCode" wrote:

> "vistauser" <vistauser@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > Hello,
> > I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit installed with all the important
> > updates.
> > My hardware is as follow:
> > Intel Pentium D 2.8GHZ
> > 2GB DDR2 Ram
> > My problem is that the memory usage is always at 40%-55% even when I close
> > all the applications.
> > I've noticed that I have a lot of svchost.exe files running and some of
> > them
> > are taking more than 100MB of memory.I have a lot of services running
> > associated with those svchost files.
> > What's weird is that memory usage goes down to less than 30% when I use
> > the
> > "low power state" to "turn off" the PC & then turn it back on. But then,
> > The
> > memory usage eventually goes up to 40%-55%.
> > I think that it's a problem because in the system requiremenets for
> > Windows
> > Vista Ultimate, It's written that I need just 1GB of RAM to run Windows
> > Vista
> > properly.
> > But the constant memory usage is either near 1GB or more than 1GB. Maybe I
> > should stop some of the unneeded services to reduce the memory usage?
> > Will it do any better if I'll install the service pack 1 for Windows
> > Vista?
> > I can just buy 1 more GB of RAM, But I just would like to know whether the
> > high memory usage is a problem or there's nothing wrong with that.
> > Thanks in advance for any advice!

> http://vistarewired.com/2007/02/18/services/
>
> http://www.speedyvista.com/services.html
>
> http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm
>
> hth, z.

ZebraCode

Re: svchost.exe memory usage

"vistauser" <vistauser@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto
> Thanks for your response!
> Just disabled a few unneeded services & svchost.exe files are taking much
> less resources now!
> Thanks for the useful links!

you're welcome
ciao, ZC