Destinations.msi

leadermaster

Destinations.msi
Hello Murray,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service.

I understand from your e-mail that you are receiving an error message when
you click the sidebar shortcut icon from the desktop.

As your issue is technical in nature, I can direct you to your support
options which include Self-Help Resources and Assisted Support. You may try
to resolve the problem on your own using the no-charge self-help resources
listed below. However, if you prefer assistance from a Microsoft Support
Professional, please choose the Assisted Support option mentioned below.

Assisted Support:

You may work with a Microsoft Support Professional via e-mail, telephone,
and for some products, chat to resolve your issue. Depending on how you
obtained your software, there may be fees to use the Assisted Support option.
Please visit the following link to select the copy of Windows you are using
in your computer and to contact the Support Team:

http://support.microsoft.com/select/...odSelMo re509

If Microsoft software was pre-installed on your computer, please contact
your computer manufacturer directly. Contact information for most major
computer manufacturers is available at:

http://www.support.microsoft.com/def...px?pr=oemphone

Self-Help Resources:

You may search the Product Solution Center or the Knowledge Base of
self-help articles to resolve your issue using the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/select/...et=hub&c1=509&

You may also post your issue in the Microsoft news groups. Please visit the
link below to look for a possible resolution:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx

I hope the issue is resolved soon and appreciate your patience in this regard.

Thank you,

Tenil

Microsoft Customer Service Representative

If you have any feedback about your Customer Service experience, please send
them to my manager, Himadri Roy, at http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6998852
Please do not forget to indicate the name of my manager in the subject field.

Rick Rogers

Re: Destinations.msi
Hi,

God I hate registry cleaners and the damage they do under the misleading
guise of cleaning something that does not need to be cleaned. Click start
and type regedit, then hit <enter>. Expand the branches to reach:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\App
Paths\sidebar.exe

Click on the sidebar.exe key, then double click the default value in the
right pane, check to see that the value here is:

"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe"

If it isn't, replace the contents with the above. See if this helps. If not,
then the problem is in one of the gadgets that is loading.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"leadermaster" <leadermaster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

<snip unnecessary PSS automated response>

> [...]

leadermaster

Re: Destinations.msi
Nutcase,I did everything you suggested and "%ProgramFiles%\Windows
Sidebar\sidebar.exe" is where it is supposed to be.I even replaced it with a
copy of yours.No change regarding the problem.I considered the last
suggestion of yours and made sure I had no gadgets in the sidebar.No
change.So I believe the problem is that Destination.msi is missing.I can not
find it but I have not searched the registry as I just learned how to do that
by your suggestion re:sidebar.exe.I note the message:
"An installation package for the product Destinations cannot be found.Try
the installation again using a valid copy of the installation pakage
'Destinations.msi'." My greatest question is where do I get a valid copy of
this installation package?Do I download it and install it like all other
downloads?Lastly how do I prevent it from being erased by my cleaner again? I
have read a lot about this problem on the internet and I know that I am not
the only person with Vista having this problem yet I have not read where they
get 'Destinations.msi' to reinstall it in Vista after it has been erased by a
cleaner.Thank you for your help.I posted this for Microsoft pros also and I
think that they should step up to the plate not just an MVP like
yourself.Leadermaster.Murray Geddes.
"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> God I hate registry cleaners and the damage they do under the misleading
> guise of cleaning something that does not need to be cleaned. Click start
> and type regedit, then hit <enter>. Expand the branches to reach:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\App
> Paths\sidebar.exe
>
> Click on the sidebar.exe key, then double click the default value in the
> right pane, check to see that the value here is:
>
> "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe"
>
> If it isn't, replace the contents with the above. See if this helps. If not,
> then the problem is in one of the gadgets that is loading.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "leadermaster" <leadermaster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> <snip unnecessary PSS automated response>

Rick Rogers

Re: Destinations.msi
Hi,

You might want to try the steps on this link:
http://forums.techarena.in/showthrea...d.php?t=823182

--

> Nutcase,I did everything you suggested and "%ProgramFiles%\Windows
> Sidebar\sidebar.exe" is where it is supposed to be.I even replaced it with
> copy of yours.No change regarding the problem.I considered the last
> suggestion of yours and made sure I had no gadgets in the sidebar.No
> change.So I believe the problem is that Destination.msi is missing.I can
> not
> find it but I have not searched the registry as I just learned how to do
> that
> by your suggestion re:sidebar.exe.I note the message:
> "An installation package for the product Destinations cannot be found.Try
> the installation again using a valid copy of the installation pakage
> 'Destinations.msi'." My greatest question is where do I get a valid copy
> of
> this installation package?Do I download it and install it like all other
> downloads?Lastly how do I prevent it from being erased by my cleaner
> again? I
> have read a lot about this problem on the internet and I know that I am
> not
> the only person with Vista having this problem yet I have not read where
> they
> get 'Destinations.msi' to reinstall it in Vista after it has been erased
> by a
> cleaner.Thank you for your help.I posted this for Microsoft pros also and
> think that they should step up to the plate not just an MVP like
> yourself.Leadermaster.Murray Geddes.
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> God I hate registry cleaners and the damage they do under the misleading
>> guise of cleaning something that does not need to be cleaned. Click start
>> and type regedit, then hit <enter>. Expand the branches to reach:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\App
>> Paths\sidebar.exe
>>
>> Click on the sidebar.exe key, then double click the default value in the
>> right pane, check to see that the value here is:
>>
>> "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe"
>>
>> If it isn't, replace the contents with the above. See if this helps. If
>> not,
>> then the problem is in one of the gadgets that is loading.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "leadermaster" <leadermaster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> <snip unnecessary PSS automated response>

leadermaster

Re: Destinations.msi
Microsoft has no computer accessible Destination.msi for replaceplacement of
the original Vista Destinations.msi .We are not Microsoft.For now
Destinations.msi is a Vista problem that Microsoft can answer but chooses not
to other than with Vista.I am certain that I write for all Vista users by
saying make Destinations.msi available to us now to solve this problem or
remove sidebar from Vista.Nutcase,we know that Destinations.msi is not our
puplic program so all we the public can do is wait untill Microsoft allows us
to download Destinations.msi.Thank You,Nutcase but it is Microsoft that is
Nutcase not with Destinaions.msi not you or I.Thanks, Murray Geddes.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You might want to try the steps on this link:
> http://forums.techarena.in/showthrea...d.php?t=823182
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "leadermaster" <leadermaster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Nutcase,I did everything you suggested and "%ProgramFiles%\Windows
> > Sidebar\sidebar.exe" is where it is supposed to be.I even replaced it with
> > copy of yours.No change regarding the problem.I considered the last
> > suggestion of yours and made sure I had no gadgets in the sidebar.No
> > change.So I believe the problem is that Destination.msi is missing.I can
> > not
> > find it but I have not searched the registry as I just learned how to do
> > that
> > by your suggestion re:sidebar.exe.I note the message:
> > "An installation package for the product Destinations cannot be found.Try
> > the installation again using a valid copy of the installation pakage
> > 'Destinations.msi'." My greatest question is where do I get a valid copy
> > of
> > this installation package?Do I download it and install it like all other
> > downloads?Lastly how do I prevent it from being erased by my cleaner
> > again? I
> > have read a lot about this problem on the internet and I know that I am
> > not
> > the only person with Vista having this problem yet I have not read where
> > they
> > get 'Destinations.msi' to reinstall it in Vista after it has been erased
> > by a
> > cleaner.Thank you for your help.I posted this for Microsoft pros also and
> > think that they should step up to the plate not just an MVP like
> > yourself.Leadermaster.Murray Geddes.
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> God I hate registry cleaners and the damage they do under the misleading
> >> guise of cleaning something that does not need to be cleaned. Click start
> >> and type regedit, then hit <enter>. Expand the branches to reach:
> >>
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\App
> >> Paths\sidebar.exe
> >>
> >> Click on the sidebar.exe key, then double click the default value in the
> >> right pane, check to see that the value here is:
> >>
> >> "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe"
> >>
> >> If it isn't, replace the contents with the above. See if this helps. If
> >> not,
> >> then the problem is in one of the gadgets that is loading.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "leadermaster" <leadermaster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> <snip unnecessary PSS automated response>

leadermaster

Re: Destinations.msi
I downloaded the Microsoft program" Windows Install Clean Up" progam and it
only allows me to remove Destination.msi but it is specific about the the
version:"(All Users) Destinations [82.0.173.000]".I am warned that if I
remove this product from the list of products that I may need to reinstall it
(exit now or uninstall or cleanup).I do not need to uninstall etc.
Destinations [82.0.173.000] I need to reinstall/install it because it is
missing as I have been warned as I have previously wrote.I am going to make
the assumption that what Microsoft is missing is the Windows Install
Reinstall/Install program for Destinations [82.0.173.000] and all programs
listed in" Windows Install Clean Up" program.I have posted equally to
Microsoft just as I have members of the Vista community MVP or not and though
one MVP has tried his best I strongly suggest all Vista Community may reply
to this post,not just one individual or another,but all of the Vista
community because thi is a major flaw that we can remedy.Leadermaster.

"leadermaster" wrote:

> Microsoft has no computer accessible Destination.msi for replaceplacement of
> the original Vista Destinations.msi .We are not Microsoft.For now
> Destinations.msi is a Vista problem that Microsoft can answer but chooses not
> to other than with Vista.I am certain that I write for all Vista users by
> saying make Destinations.msi available to us now to solve this problem or
> remove sidebar from Vista.Nutcase,we know that Destinations.msi is not our
> puplic program so all we the public can do is wait untill Microsoft allows us
> to download Destinations.msi.Thank You,Nutcase but it is Microsoft that is
> Nutcase not with Destinaions.msi not you or I.Thanks, Murray Geddes.
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > You might want to try the steps on this link:
> > http://forums.techarena.in/showthrea...d.php?t=823182
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
> >
> > "leadermaster" <leadermaster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Nutcase,I did everything you suggested and "%ProgramFiles%\Windows
> > > Sidebar\sidebar.exe" is where it is supposed to be.I even replaced it with
> > > copy of yours.No change regarding the problem.I considered the last
> > > suggestion of yours and made sure I had no gadgets in the sidebar.No
> > > change.So I believe the problem is that Destination.msi is missing.I can
> > > not
> > > find it but I have not searched the registry as I just learned how to do
> > > that
> > > by your suggestion re:sidebar.exe.I note the message:
> > > "An installation package for the product Destinations cannot be found.Try
> > > the installation again using a valid copy of the installation pakage
> > > 'Destinations.msi'." My greatest question is where do I get a valid copy
> > > of
> > > this installation package?Do I download it and install it like all other
> > > downloads?Lastly how do I prevent it from being erased by my cleaner
> > > again? I
> > > have read a lot about this problem on the internet and I know that I am
> > > not
> > > the only person with Vista having this problem yet I have not read where
> > > they
> > > get 'Destinations.msi' to reinstall it in Vista after it has been erased
> > > by a
> > > cleaner.Thank you for your help.I posted this for Microsoft pros also and
> > > think that they should step up to the plate not just an MVP like
> > > yourself.Leadermaster.Murray Geddes.

salix

Re: Destinations.msi

hi there, i came aross this error tonight! i was uninstalling some hp
all in one printer software from my lappy this evening with your
uninstaller 2008.... which inturn uninstalled the Destinations.msi, it
kept coming up saying i needed to insert the the cd ..... blah blah. and
when i done a update on gom player ... which basicly reinstalls itself,
the Destinations.msi error came up and did so on everything i tryed to
install and uninstalled, so i got on the net and came across this post
and many others!! i tryed the fix with no avail! i also started up
windows sidebar .... which didnt work!! BUT i have seemed to fix this!!
i was searching on my hard drive for Destinations.msi, but like many
others didnt find! but i inserted the hp all in one printer software
disc to see if i could find on there (because thats where all this
trouble started!) and i did!! i reinstalled Destinations.msi and all is
normal again, the sidebar works... no stupid Destinations.msi error!!
not sure if this would help anyone? maybe i could upload it to someone
to try? ive copyied it to my lappy, its a small file 631kb. excuse me as
im abit of a noob!! my regards, salix

--
salix
leadermaster

Re: Destinations.msi
salix,leadermaster here.I removed all of the HP printer software that I had
on my computer that has Vista Business and had to download it from HP because
there is no "disc" only direct download from the HP website for my computer
and lo and behold my destinations.msi problem was fixed.You may be a newbie
but it worked! I next ran my same Uniblue company Powersuite software and
restarted my computer and the problem was back exactly as it was when it
first occured.So,salix we have a choice to make that to me is complex.It is
that we do not have the HP Printer software that we must have remain intact
on our computers with our use of Uniblue company Powersuite software remain
intact or we uninstall Microsoft Corporation Vista Operating System Sidebar.I
answer this as a CANADIAN computer owner and operator.There are three UNITED
STATES OF AMERICA companies,Uniblue,HP.,Microsoft that together can solve
this problem with the entire one eighth of the whole of the computer
screen(s) that we view.Were I to remedy this give and take reality upon
myself I will require that this ceases by the three businesses mentioned not
us.They are capable of solving this problem that we are experiencing .Untill
they do I have exactly the same messages on my other seven tenths of my
computer screen and strongly suggest to the USA that you stop making computer
software that we must have these couterproductive events occur for one
eighth of computer screens immediately because I do not accept my choices as
presented to me regarding you.Thank You.Murray Geddes.;

"salix" wrote:

> hi there, i came aross this error tonight! i was uninstalling some hp
> all in one printer software from my lappy this evening with your
> uninstaller 2008.... which inturn uninstalled the Destinations.msi, it
> kept coming up saying i needed to insert the the cd ..... blah blah. and
> when i done a update on gom player ... which basicly reinstalls itself,
> the Destinations.msi error came up and did so on everything i tryed to
> install and uninstalled, so i got on the net and came across this post
> and many others!! i tryed the fix with no avail! i also started up
> windows sidebar .... which didnt work!! BUT i have seemed to fix this!!
> i was searching on my hard drive for Destinations.msi, but like many
> others didnt find! but i inserted the hp all in one printer software
> disc to see if i could find on there (because thats where all this
> trouble started!) and i did!! i reinstalled Destinations.msi and all is
> normal again, the sidebar works... no stupid Destinations.msi error!!
> not sure if this would help anyone? maybe i could upload it to someone
> to try? ive copyied it to my lappy, its a small file 631kb. excuse me as
> im abit of a noob!! my regards, salix
>

> --
> salix

salix

Re: Destinations.msi

hi there murray, im glad i could help! i just hope that others can fix
this error/flaw!? well thats my good deed for the day ticked off my
list. all the best and my regards, salix

--
salix

dimij is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salix View Post
[...]

Hi friend!
It seems that you have found the fix for that problem.
The sure thing is that it has to do with software installation.
the problem is that this destinations.msi is not to be foud in all installations cd's... at least not in the one that caused the trouble for me.
I would be in your debt if you could point me to where I can find the file you mentioned to get this bloody destinations.msi
thanks a million in advance