"Shut Down" doesn't work, hangs

Fiona

"Shut Down" doesn't work, hangs
Dell Inspiron 1501, running Vista Ultimate, will not 'Shut Down'... It will
hang for hours (logging off) and you have to force it down with the Power
Button, which can cause problems. Additionally, you can not use the
'Restart'.

If you use the 'System Restore' for anything, it has been 'eventually'
restarting, but taking longer than normal. Even with that process, today it
couldn't "Restart" during a System Restore, but came up with a Safety Screen
saying Windows was unable to Start. Eventually got out of that loop, but can
anyone help?

Searched in a lot of forums and seems that this is a wide-spread problem on
many computers, especially using Vista. Many people said that they are just
continuing to force the Power Down, even with new computers...

Contacted Dell and diagnosis didn't come up with anything... but they are
suggesting changing the Motherboard, that will correct this problem?

BTW: The Power Button settings are correct - Set to 'Shut Down'...

Does anyone have a solution to this? To me, seems that it might be Software
related? Or should I go ahead with the Motherboard replacement?
Mischka

RE: "Shut Down" doesn't work, hangs
I am having the same problem in Vista Ultimate on a Dell Dinension E310, I've
searched everywhere except Dell. Guess I'll try that next

"Fiona" wrote:

> Dell Inspiron 1501, running Vista Ultimate, will not 'Shut Down'... It will
> hang for hours (logging off) and you have to force it down with the Power
> Button, which can cause problems. Additionally, you can not use the
> 'Restart'.
>
> If you use the 'System Restore' for anything, it has been 'eventually'
> restarting, but taking longer than normal. Even with that process, today it
> couldn't "Restart" during a System Restore, but came up with a Safety Screen
> saying Windows was unable to Start. Eventually got out of that loop, but can
> anyone help?
>
> Searched in a lot of forums and seems that this is a wide-spread problem on
> many computers, especially using Vista. Many people said that they are just
> continuing to force the Power Down, even with new computers...
>
> Contacted Dell and diagnosis didn't come up with anything... but they are
> suggesting changing the Motherboard, that will correct this problem?
>
> BTW: The Power Button settings are correct - Set to 'Shut Down'...
>
> Does anyone have a solution to this? To me, seems that it might be Software
> related? Or should I go ahead with the Motherboard replacement?

R Dexter

Re: "Shut Down" doesn't work, hangs
What kind of Anti-Virus program are you using. I was using PC-cillan with
my new Inspriron 1720 and it would never shut-down. After I removed it, I
didn't have any further issues.

"Mischka" <Mischka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having the same problem in Vista Ultimate on a Dell Dinension E310,
>I've
> searched everywhere except Dell. Guess I'll try that next
>
> "Fiona" wrote:
>
>> Dell Inspiron 1501, running Vista Ultimate, will not 'Shut Down'... It
>> will
>> hang for hours (logging off) and you have to force it down with the Power
>> Button, which can cause problems. Additionally, you can not use the
>> 'Restart'.
>>
>> If you use the 'System Restore' for anything, it has been 'eventually'
>> restarting, but taking longer than normal. Even with that process, today
>> it
>> couldn't "Restart" during a System Restore, but came up with a Safety
>> Screen
>> saying Windows was unable to Start. Eventually got out of that loop, but
>> can
>> anyone help?
>>
>> Searched in a lot of forums and seems that this is a wide-spread problem
>> on
>> many computers, especially using Vista. Many people said that they are
>> just
>> continuing to force the Power Down, even with new computers...
>>
>> Contacted Dell and diagnosis didn't come up with anything... but they are
>> suggesting changing the Motherboard, that will correct this problem?
>>
>> BTW: The Power Button settings are correct - Set to 'Shut Down'...
>>
>> Does anyone have a solution to this? To me, seems that it might be
>> Software
>> related? Or should I go ahead with the Motherboard replacement?

Mischka

Re: "Shut Down" doesn't work, hangs
Symantec Anti virus Corp. addition 10.2