PC Freezing and ctrl alt del not working, etc........

wendykf

PC Freezing and ctrl alt del not working, etc........
I have Vista on Inspiron 530 desktop. The PC is OK for about an hour then
internet gets very slow, finally freezing. When I press ctrl alt del I get
message "Logon process has failed to create the security options dialog" and
below this "Failure - security options" . The only way out of this is to turn
off the electricity to the pc.
Even if I don't get this error, I am seldom able to "shut down" the
computer. I sometimes get the "logging off" message which changes to
"shutting down" but even after waiting ages, it does not usually shut down so
I just have to switch it off.

I have scanned thoroughly for viruses but have not found any and have virus
and firewall programs running at all times.

Any help or ideas would be gratefully received

Bob

Re: PC Freezing and ctrl alt del not working, etc........
More than likely this happens because you have a non-Vista compatible
security suite installed. Have you installed some kind of
firewall/antivirus/whatever suite? If so, which?
---

"wendykf" <wendykf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista on Inspiron 530 desktop. The PC is OK for about an hour then
> internet gets very slow, finally freezing. When I press ctrl alt del I get
> message "Logon process has failed to create the security options dialog"
> and
> below this "Failure - security options" . The only way out of this is to
> turn
> off the electricity to the pc.
> Even if I don't get this error, I am seldom able to "shut down" the
> computer. I sometimes get the "logging off" message which changes to
> "shutting down" but even after waiting ages, it does not usually shut down
> so
> I just have to switch it off.
>
> I have scanned thoroughly for viruses but have not found any and have
> virus
> and firewall programs running at all times.
>
> Any help or ideas would be gratefully received

wendykf

Re: PC Freezing and ctrl alt del not working, etc........
Thanks for your reply
I have Zone Alarm and AVG and recently (with no change to the problem)
Avast. As far as I know these are all compatable with Vista

"Bob" wrote:

> More than likely this happens because you have a non-Vista compatible
> security suite installed. Have you installed some kind of
> firewall/antivirus/whatever suite? If so, which?
> ---
> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
>
> "wendykf" <wendykf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Vista on Inspiron 530 desktop. The PC is OK for about an hour then
> > internet gets very slow, finally freezing. When I press ctrl alt del I get
> > message "Logon process has failed to create the security options dialog"
> > and
> > below this "Failure - security options" . The only way out of this is to
> > turn
> > off the electricity to the pc.
> > Even if I don't get this error, I am seldom able to "shut down" the
> > computer. I sometimes get the "logging off" message which changes to
> > "shutting down" but even after waiting ages, it does not usually shut down
> > so
> > I just have to switch it off.
> >
> > I have scanned thoroughly for viruses but have not found any and have
> > virus
> > and firewall programs running at all times.
> >
> > Any help or ideas would be gratefully received

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: PC Freezing and ctrl alt del not working, etc........
On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 05:23:01 -0800, wendykf
<wendykf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your reply
> I have Zone Alarm and AVG and recently (with no change to the problem)
> Avast. As far as I know these are all compatable with Vista

Are you running AVG *and* Avast--two anti-virus programs--at the same
time? That's a prescription for disaster. They will conflict with each
other, and that is likely the cause of your problem.

Choose one (I prefer Avast) and get rid of the other and see if that
doesn't solve your problem.

> "Bob" wrote:
>
> > More than likely this happens because you have a non-Vista compatible
> > security suite installed. Have you installed some kind of
> > firewall/antivirus/whatever suite? If so, which?
> > ---
> > Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
> >
> > "wendykf" <wendykf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have Vista on Inspiron 530 desktop. The PC is OK for about an hour then
> > > internet gets very slow, finally freezing. When I press ctrl alt del I get
> > > message "Logon process has failed to create the security options dialog"
> > > and
> > > below this "Failure - security options" . The only way out of this is to
> > > turn
> > > off the electricity to the pc.
> > > Even if I don't get this error, I am seldom able to "shut down" the
> > > computer. I sometimes get the "logging off" message which changes to
> > > "shutting down" but even after waiting ages, it does not usually shut down
> > > so
> > > I just have to switch it off.
> > >
> > > I have scanned thoroughly for viruses but have not found any and have
> > > virus
> > > and firewall programs running at all times.
> > >
> > > Any help or ideas would be gratefully received

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
wendykf

Re: PC Freezing and ctrl alt del not working, etc........
Thanks
No that is not the problem. I was only running AVG when the problem
occurred. I then ran Avast to see if AVG had missed something.
Often, I am not running programs other than those at Start up but browsing
the internet and email, leaving the computer idle for much of the time but it
still freezes.

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 05:23:01 -0800, wendykf
> <wendykf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your reply
> > I have Zone Alarm and AVG and recently (with no change to the problem)
> > Avast. As far as I know these are all compatable with Vista

> Are you running AVG *and* Avast--two anti-virus programs--at the same
> time? That's a prescription for disaster. They will conflict with each
> other, and that is likely the cause of your problem.
>
> Choose one (I prefer Avast) and get rid of the other and see if that
> doesn't solve your problem.
>

> > "Bob" wrote:
> >
> > > More than likely this happens because you have a non-Vista compatible
> > > security suite installed. Have you installed some kind of
> > > firewall/antivirus/whatever suite? If so, which?
> > > ---
> > > Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> > > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
> > >
> > > "wendykf" <wendykf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Bob

Re: PC Freezing and ctrl alt del not working, etc........
Wendy,

Can you check the event log and post any errors for ACPI, DCOM, NTPCLIENT
and/or Service Control Manager?

It would be helpful if you could do this immediately after a restart and
before opening any other applications except those which are set to
autostart.

"wendykf" <wendykf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsECED89A-9A93-41E1-BF1D-A3DD90480A35@microsoft.com...
> Thanks
> No that is not the problem. I was only running AVG when the problem
> occurred. I then ran Avast to see if AVG had missed something.
> Often, I am not running programs other than those at Start up but browsing
> the internet and email, leaving the computer idle for much of the time but
> it
> still freezes.
>

> "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 05:23:01 -0800, wendykf
>> <wendykf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks for your reply
>> > I have Zone Alarm and AVG and recently (with no change to the problem)
>> > Avast. As far as I know these are all compatable with Vista

>> Are you running AVG *and* Avast--two anti-virus programs--at the same
>> time? That's a prescription for disaster. They will conflict with each
>> other, and that is likely the cause of your problem.
>>
>> Choose one (I prefer Avast) and get rid of the other and see if that
>> doesn't solve your problem.

>> --
>> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
>> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

wendykf

Re: PC Freezing and ctrl alt del not working, etc........
Hi Thanks for your reply. Just looked at the events log and the last entry is
for 7 Dec but I have been having the same problem every day since then - or
should I be doing something to initiate it?

"Bob" wrote:

> Wendy,
>
> Can you check the event log and post any errors for ACPI, DCOM, NTPCLIENT
> and/or Service Control Manager?
>
> It would be helpful if you could do this immediately after a restart and
> before opening any other applications except those which are set to
> autostart.
>
> "wendykf" <wendykf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsECED89A-9A93-41E1-BF1D-A3DD90480A35@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks
> > No that is not the problem. I was only running AVG when the problem
> > occurred. I then ran Avast to see if AVG had missed something.
> > Often, I am not running programs other than those at Start up but browsing
> > the internet and email, leaving the computer idle for much of the time but
> > it
> > still freezes.
> >

> > "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> >> Are you running AVG *and* Avast--two anti-virus programs--at the same
> >> time? That's a prescription for disaster. They will conflict with each
> >> other, and that is likely the cause of your problem.
> >>
> >> Choose one (I prefer Avast) and get rid of the other and see if that
> >> doesn't solve your problem.

> >> --
> >> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> >> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

wendykf

Re: PC Freezing and ctrl alt del not working, etc........
Just found these (not really sure what I am doing as you may guess) . These
were some errors in today's logs under System and applications. I have pasted
info below - hope it is what you need.
Thanks again

Under System

Error 04/01/2008 12:35:04 Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider 7001 None
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager"
Guid="{555908D1-A6D7-4695-8E1E-26931D2012F4}" EventSourceName="Service
Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7001</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>38680</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Wendy-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="param1">Computer Browser</Data>
<Data Name="param2">Server</Data>
<Data Name="param3">%%1068</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Error 04/01/2008 12:38:25 DistributedCOM 10005 None

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM"
Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">10005</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>38690</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Wendy-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="param1">1084</Data>
<Data Name="param2">usnjsvc</Data>
<Data Name="param3" />
<Data Name="param4">{98AC5C33-EE18-4EC2-BE25-3B16EE8F75F1}</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Error 04/01/2008 15:20:40 DistributedCOM 10005 None

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM"
Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">10005</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>38692</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Wendy-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="param1">1084</Data>
<Data Name="param2">WSearch</Data>
<Data Name="param3" />
<Data Name="param4">{9E175B68-F52A-11D8-B9A5-505054503030}</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

and these under Application

Error 04/01/2008 11:06:32 WerSvc 5007 None

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="WerSvc" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">5007</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>22610</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Wendy-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>8014FFF9</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Error 04/01/2008 12:18:32 EventSystem 4621 Event System

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-EventSystem"
Guid="{899daace-4868-4295-afcd-9eb8fb497561}" EventSourceName="EventSystem"
/>
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">4621</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>16</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>22623</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Wendy-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="param1">80070005</Data>
<Data Name="param2">EventSystem.EventSubscription</Data>
<Data
Name="param3">{CEB8B221-89C5-41A8-98CE-79B413BF150B}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Error 04/01/2008 12:34:30 EventSystem 4609 Event System
Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-EventSystem"
Guid="{899daace-4868-4295-afcd-9eb8fb497561}" EventSourceName="EventSystem"
/>
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">4609</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>16</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>22646</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Wendy-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data
Name="param1">d:\vistartm\com\complus\src\events\t ier1\eventsystemobj.cpp</Data>
<Data Name="param2">45</Data>
<Data Name="param3">8007043c</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

and

Error 04/01/2008 12:38:19 EventSystem 4609 Event System

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-EventSystem"
Guid="{899daace-4868-4295-afcd-9eb8fb497561}" EventSourceName="EventSystem"
/>
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">4609</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>16</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>22647</EventRecordID>

"wendykf" wrote:

> Hi Thanks for your reply. Just looked at the events log and the last entry is
> for 7 Dec but I have been having the same problem every day since then - or
> should I be doing something to initiate it?
>

> "Bob" wrote:
>
> > Wendy,
> >
> > Can you check the event log and post any errors for ACPI, DCOM, NTPCLIENT
> > and/or Service Control Manager?
> >
> > It would be helpful if you could do this immediately after a restart and
> > before opening any other applications except those which are set to
> > autostart.
> >
> > "wendykf" <wendykf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > newsECED89A-9A93-41E1-BF1D-A3DD90480A35@microsoft.com...
> > > Thanks
> > > No that is not the problem. I was only running AVG when the problem
> > > occurred. I then ran Avast to see if AVG had missed something.
> > > Often, I am not running programs other than those at Start up but browsing
> > > the internet and email, leaving the computer idle for much of the time but
> > > it
> > > still freezes.

jlk

Re: PC Freezing and ctrl alt del not working, etc........
I have exactly this same problem. Computer slows to a crawl. control Atl
delete yields failure - security options logon process has failed to create
the seciryt options dialog
Have run complete checkdisk and hard drive tests and everything comes up okay
Anyone at Microsoft have an idea?

"wendykf" wrote:

> [...]
> </Event>
>

> "wendykf" wrote:
>
> > Hi Thanks for your reply. Just looked at the events log and the last entry is
> > for 7 Dec but I have been having the same problem every day since then - or
> > should I be doing something to initiate it?
> >

> > "Bob" wrote:
> >
> > > Wendy,
> > >
> > > Can you check the event log and post any errors for ACPI, DCOM, NTPCLIENT
> > > and/or Service Control Manager?
> > >
> > > It would be helpful if you could do this immediately after a restart and
> > > before opening any other applications except those which are set to
> > > autostart.
> > >
> > > "wendykf" <wendykf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > newsECED89A-9A93-41E1-BF1D-A3DD90480A35@microsoft.com...

wendykf

Re: PC Freezing and ctrl alt del not working, etc........
I have now solved the problem by reformating the disk to ex-factory condition
(after saving files I wanted, of course). This was drastic but very glad I
did it. I think my problems arose because I imported files and settings from
my old computer and probably introduced the problem to my new computer. In
taking the easy option, as I thought at the time, I imported many things that
I didn't really need any more. Hope you sort your problem soon, I know how
frustrating it is.