Cannot Uninstall Vista SP1 Beta

Fybo

Cannot Uninstall Vista SP1 Beta
Hi,

I installed SP1 Beta which resulted in a BSOD and corrupted something
somewhere that wouldn't allow me to connect to the internet (even using the
connection wizard).

I have tried to uninstall (as previously recommended) the SP1 without
success. It always fails to uninstall and does the "reverting changes" thing.
I have tried the uninstall in safe mode, removed all my AV and non-essential
programs to complete the uninstall but nothing.

Is there any other way in which I can uninstall the SP1 Beta without going
through the normal means? I am getting desperate!!

Many thanks for your help,
Fybo.
Bob

Re: Cannot Uninstall Vista SP1 Beta
Have you tried a system restore from a point prior to installing SP1?

"Fybo" <Fybo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I installed SP1 Beta which resulted in a BSOD and corrupted something
> somewhere that wouldn't allow me to connect to the internet (even using
> the
> connection wizard).
>
> I have tried to uninstall (as previously recommended) the SP1 without
> success. It always fails to uninstall and does the "reverting changes"
> thing.
> I have tried the uninstall in safe mode, removed all my AV and
> non-essential
> programs to complete the uninstall but nothing.
>
> Is there any other way in which I can uninstall the SP1 Beta without going
> through the normal means? I am getting desperate!!
>
> Many thanks for your help,
> Fybo.

Malke

Fybo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed SP1 Beta which resulted in a BSOD and corrupted something
> somewhere that wouldn't allow me to connect to the internet (even using the
> connection wizard).
>
> I have tried to uninstall (as previously recommended) the SP1 without
> success. It always fails to uninstall and does the "reverting changes" thing.
> I have tried the uninstall in safe mode, removed all my AV and non-essential
> programs to complete the uninstall but nothing.
>
> Is there any other way in which I can uninstall the SP1 Beta without going
> through the normal means? I am getting desperate!!

Sorry, but you'll need to back up your data and do a clean install of
Windows. This is why you should *only* install beta software on a
non-production machine, one that you are fully prepared to wipe and
start over on.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Fybo

"Bob" wrote:

> Have you tried a system restore from a point prior to installing SP1?

Yeah, tried that, still nothing, sorry.

> "Fybo" <Fybo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I installed SP1 Beta which resulted in a BSOD and corrupted something
> > somewhere that wouldn't allow me to connect to the internet (even using
> > the
> > connection wizard).
> >
> > I have tried to uninstall (as previously recommended) the SP1 without
> > success. It always fails to uninstall and does the "reverting changes"
> > thing.
> > I have tried the uninstall in safe mode, removed all my AV and
> > non-essential
> > programs to complete the uninstall but nothing.
> >
> > Is there any other way in which I can uninstall the SP1 Beta without going
> > through the normal means? I am getting desperate!!
> >
> > Many thanks for your help,
> > Fybo.

Fybo

"Malke" wrote:

> Fybo wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I installed SP1 Beta which resulted in a BSOD and corrupted something
> > somewhere that wouldn't allow me to connect to the internet (even using the
> > connection wizard).
> >
> > I have tried to uninstall (as previously recommended) the SP1 without
> > success. It always fails to uninstall and does the "reverting changes" thing.
> > I have tried the uninstall in safe mode, removed all my AV and non-essential
> > programs to complete the uninstall but nothing.
> >
> > Is there any other way in which I can uninstall the SP1 Beta without going
> > through the normal means? I am getting desperate!!

> Sorry, but you'll need to back up your data and do a clean install of
> Windows. This is why you should *only* install beta software on a
> non-production machine, one that you are fully prepared to wipe and
> start over on.

Surely there must be some other way to get around this. Does Microsoft offer
no other uninstall method if their only one offered fails?

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Fybo wrote:

> Surely there must be some other way to get around this. Does Microsoft offer
> no other uninstall method if their only one offered fails?

It's a *beta*, not a final product.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Victek

Re: Cannot Uninstall Vista SP1 Beta
>> Fybo wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I installed SP1 Beta which resulted in a BSOD and corrupted something
>> > somewhere that wouldn't allow me to connect to the internet (even using
>> > the
>> > connection wizard).
>> >
>> > I have tried to uninstall (as previously recommended) the SP1 without
>> > success. It always fails to uninstall and does the "reverting changes"
>> > thing.
>> > I have tried the uninstall in safe mode, removed all my AV and
>> > non-essential
>> > programs to complete the uninstall but nothing.
>> >
>> > Is there any other way in which I can uninstall the SP1 Beta without
>> > going
>> > through the normal means? I am getting desperate!!

>> Sorry, but you'll need to back up your data and do a clean install of
>> Windows. This is why you should *only* install beta software on a
>> non-production machine, one that you are fully prepared to wipe and
>> start over on.
>>

> Surely there must be some other way to get around this. Does Microsoft
> offer
> no other uninstall method if their only one offered fails?

You could try a "repair/install" with the Vista DVD.

CB

"Fybo" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed SP1 Beta which resulted in a BSOD and corrupted something
> somewhere that wouldn't allow me to connect to the internet (even using the
> connection wizard).
>
> I have tried to uninstall (as previously recommended) the SP1 without
> success. It always fails to uninstall and does the "reverting changes" thing.
> I have tried the uninstall in safe mode, removed all my AV and non-essential
> programs to complete the uninstall but nothing.
>
> Is there any other way in which I can uninstall the SP1 Beta without going
> through the normal means? I am getting desperate!!
>
> Many thanks for your help,
> Fybo.

Fybo,

Installing SP1 RC (if this is the beta you are referring to) will not
corrupt your system and/or cause BSODs unless your computer had software
conflicts or configuration conflicts. There were many articles available,
from Microsoft, explaining what must be done before installing the service
pack. I assume you read them all. SP1 RC will not install unless you have
previously installed the prerequesite updates, which also included
information about the service pack. I installed it on my Vista computer with
absolutely no problems whatsoever.

You need uninstall only the SP1 RC update itself, not the prerequisite
updates. I uninstalled it flawlessly. I uninstalled it because I noted no
relative improvement in my system.

You could have imaged your system before installing the beta or you
could have run the beta in a virtual environment. In either case, you could
have insulated yourself and reverted back to the system state just prior to
the beta install and you would have no problems.

The only resolution to your problems is to reformat and do a clean
install. You don't really have any other options. Your system was not
prepared properly for SP1 RC, and as a result you have suffered the
consequences.

I would never install any beta software on a production machine.
However, if you wish to try again, do a clean install of the operating system
and then reinstall the beta before you install any other third party software.

Have a nice day.

C.B.

emees28986

Re: Cannot Uninstall Vista SP1 Beta

Yes I have the answer and just shared it with Microsoft. Go to control
panel programs and features installed upgrades and sp1 hit uninstall.
When reboots and trys to load the sp1 again shut off computer using
power button. restart in safe mode. repeat the same steps . This time
when it reboots in will show that it is uninstalling sp1. After it
finishes down load sp1 and install. When it is finishe you will get
additional updates. bob emees28986@aol.com

--
emees28986
emees28986