Vista Update Stoppped Working

Andy

Vista Update Stoppped Working
I can no longer check for Updates in Vista and get an error code
80070422. Both BITS and Windows Update services are running (I have
even stopped and restarted them). Are there any other critical services
required for the updates to work.

I have internet access but you can no longer download the update files
directly for install instead they have to be downloaded and installed
via Vista.

Everything seemed to be OK, updates were installing automatically but a
few days ago when I tried to check for updates I got the error message.
Also I cannot see any history of installed updates (windows Update \
View Update History) and when I try to turn Windows features on or off
(Control Panel \ Program and Features \ Turn windows features on or off)
I cannot see any features listed. I did delete the
SoftwareDistribution folder in C:\Windows to resolve this but it didn't
work.

Are the two related?

What do I need to do to get both features working again?

Thanks,
Andy
Andy

Re: Vista Update Stoppped Working
Andy wrote:
> I can no longer check for Updates in Vista and get an error code
> 80070422. Both BITS and Windows Update services are running (I have
> even stopped and restarted them). Are there any other critical services
> required for the updates to work.
>
> I have internet access but you can no longer download the update files
> directly for install instead they have to be downloaded and installed
> via Vista.
>
> Everything seemed to be OK, updates were installing automatically but a
> few days ago when I tried to check for updates I got the error message.
> Also I cannot see any history of installed updates (windows Update \
> View Update History) and when I try to turn Windows features on or off
> (Control Panel \ Program and Features \ Turn windows features on or off)
> I cannot see any features listed. I did delete the
> SoftwareDistribution folder in C:\Windows to resolve this but it didn't
> work.
>
> Are the two related?
>
> What do I need to do to get both features working again?
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

I have now resolved this. I had (for reasons unknown - probably weaking
if I am honest) disable the Windows Modules Installer service. I have
now set this to manual and updates works again.

Andy
renefig

RE: Vista Update Stoppped Working
Andy: i am having a similar problem with my new vista ultimate machine,
except I can see the history and it actually downloads the updates to
somewhere in netherlands, not to the computer. It then shows creating a
restore point for ever and ever. Let me know if toy find a fix.Renefig

"Andy" wrote:

> I can no longer check for Updates in Vista and get an error code
> 80070422. Both BITS and Windows Update services are running (I have
> even stopped and restarted them). Are there any other critical services
> required for the updates to work.
>
> I have internet access but you can no longer download the update files
> directly for install instead they have to be downloaded and installed
> via Vista.
>
> Everything seemed to be OK, updates were installing automatically but a
> few days ago when I tried to check for updates I got the error message.
> Also I cannot see any history of installed updates (windows Update \
> View Update History) and when I try to turn Windows features on or off
> (Control Panel \ Program and Features \ Turn windows features on or off)
> I cannot see any features listed. I did delete the
> SoftwareDistribution folder in C:\Windows to resolve this but it didn't
> work.
>
> Are the two related?
>
> What do I need to do to get both features working again?
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

renefig

Re: Vista Update Stoppped Working
Where do I find this windows module installer??? thank you