Random freezing

Differently Sane

Random freezing
On the demise of my old computer, I've bought a shiny new one, complete with
Windows Vista. I've had it four days, and so far it's only crashed twice.
Is this... normal?

The other thing it does is randomly stop for 15-20 seconds, and then start
working again, as if nothing has happened. I've not even been doing anything
particularly strenuous; just browsing the internet and playing music, when
suddenly the music stops, and the computer does nothing for 20 seconds, and
then it's back.

Anyone know what the problem might be with this, and if there's anything I
can do about it?
Malke

Re: Random freezing
Differently Sane wrote:
> On the demise of my old computer, I've bought a shiny new one, complete with
> Windows Vista. I've had it four days, and so far it's only crashed twice.
> Is this... normal?
>
> The other thing it does is randomly stop for 15-20 seconds, and then start
> working again, as if nothing has happened. I've not even been doing anything
> particularly strenuous; just browsing the internet and playing music, when
> suddenly the music stops, and the computer does nothing for 20 seconds, and
> then it's back.
>
> Anyone know what the problem might be with this, and if there's anything I
> can do about it?

No, it is not normal. Unfortunately, we know nothing about your new
computer so focused troubleshooting is difficult. Make/model, hardware
specs, version of Vista?

Normally new computers come with all sorts of OEM cr*p preinstalled,
including trial versions and security programs that are bloated and
invasive (Norton, McAfee). Did you clear out all this unnecessary stuff?
If not, streamlining what runs in the background and installing a better
antivirus can help.

Post back with more details if you want more help.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Differently Sane

Re: Random freezing

"Malke" wrote:

> Differently Sane wrote:
> > On the demise of my old computer, I've bought a shiny new one, complete with
> > Windows Vista. I've had it four days, and so far it's only crashed twice.
> > Is this... normal?
> >
> > The other thing it does is randomly stop for 15-20 seconds, and then start
> > working again, as if nothing has happened. I've not even been doing anything
> > particularly strenuous; just browsing the internet and playing music, when
> > suddenly the music stops, and the computer does nothing for 20 seconds, and
> > then it's back.
> >
> > Anyone know what the problem might be with this, and if there's anything I
> > can do about it?

> No, it is not normal. Unfortunately, we know nothing about your new
> computer so focused troubleshooting is difficult. Make/model, hardware
> specs, version of Vista?
>
> Normally new computers come with all sorts of OEM cr*p preinstalled,
> including trial versions and security programs that are bloated and
> invasive (Norton, McAfee). Did you clear out all this unnecessary stuff?
> If not, streamlining what runs in the background and installing a better
> antivirus can help.
>
> Post back with more details if you want more help.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

New computer's an Acer Aspire T180, running Vista Home Premium. Processor
is AMD 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, 2Gb RAM.

Yes, I've got a load of misc preinstalled stuff; a trial version of Office
2007 (I've installed a full version of 2003, which I prefer, having tried
2007 before) and a 90day subscription to Norton. My old computer had AVG
free on it, I was going to go back to that once Norton AV expired.

I've checked the task manager; there's lots of things running along in the
background, but since I've not much idea what any of them are, I'm loathe to
start shutting them down, in case they're useful or important
Malke

Re: Random freezing
Differently Sane wrote:

> New computer's an Acer Aspire T180, running Vista Home Premium. Processor
> is AMD 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, 2Gb RAM.
>
> Yes, I've got a load of misc preinstalled stuff; a trial version of Office
> 2007 (I've installed a full version of 2003, which I prefer, having tried
> 2007 before) and a 90day subscription to Norton. My old computer had AVG
> free on it, I was going to go back to that once Norton AV expired.
>
> I've checked the task manager; there's lots of things running along in the
> background, but since I've not much idea what any of them are, I'm loathe to
> start shutting them down, in case they're useful or important

OK, that's probably the cause then because you certainly have a machine
that should be speedy. Here are some suggestions:

1. Uninstall the trial version of Office. Hopefully you won't need to
reinstall Office 2003.

2. Uninstall Norton. Recommended antivirus programs are NOD32,
Kaspersky, and Avast (free). The built-in Windows Firewall is adequate
for most people.

3. Use msconfig or AutoRuns to determine what is running at startup. To
find out what an item is, plug its name into Google.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/default.mspx (for AutoRuns)

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
MegaDETH

Re: Random freezing

Have you checked your power options? Your hard drive might be going to
sleep and then waking up again and thus causing the delay.

You can change your power settings using this tutorial made by '*
brink*' (http://www.vistax64.com/members/brink.html)
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html

--
MegaDETH

Core 2 Duo E6600 (L629F) @ 3.690GHz
ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI
4X2GB A-DATA PC2 6400
eVGA E-GEFORCE 8800 GT 512MB Superclocked
22\\" Hanns.G HDMI LCD
LG GGC-H20LI
BenQ 1655
LiteOn DH20A3P
Samsung 203N
LG GSA-H42N
LG GSA-H22N
DGray

Re: Random freezing
I was having the same problem on my new computer. Dell XPS420, Quad Q6600, 3 Gig
ram. I removed all the junk Dell installs, removed the anti-virus program, and
installed AVG. It would still hang for 20 - 40 seconds for no apparent reason.
As a last resort before locating drivers for and installing XP, I installed
Vista Service Pack RC1 three days ago. My new computer is now acting like a new
computer. Vista is now stable, fast, and enjoyable to use.

Installing RC1 may not solve the issue with your computer, but it sure helped
mine.

>On the demise of my old computer, I've bought a shiny new one, complete with
>Windows Vista. I've had it four days, and so far it's only crashed twice.
>Is this... normal?
>
>The other thing it does is randomly stop for 15-20 seconds, and then start
>working again, as if nothing has happened. I've not even been doing anything
>particularly strenuous; just browsing the internet and playing music, when
>suddenly the music stops, and the computer does nothing for 20 seconds, and
>then it's back.
>
>Anyone know what the problem might be with this, and if there's anything I
>can do about it?

Malke

Re: Random freezing
DGray wrote:
> I was having the same problem on my new computer. Dell XPS420, Quad Q6600, 3 Gig
> ram. I removed all the junk Dell installs, removed the anti-virus program, and
> installed AVG. It would still hang for 20 - 40 seconds for no apparent reason.
> As a last resort before locating drivers for and installing XP, I installed
> Vista Service Pack RC1 three days ago. My new computer is now acting like a new
> computer. Vista is now stable, fast, and enjoyable to use.
>
> Installing RC1 may not solve the issue with your computer, but it sure helped
> mine.

I'm glad this worked for you but it isn't a solution I'd feel
comfortable recommending to the OP. One of the prime rules of computing
is Thou Shalt Not Install Beta Software Upon A Production Machine
(Unless Thou Art Prepared To Clean-Install). While a Release Candidate
is pretty close to gold (Release To Manufacturers), it is still not
properly out of beta.

But thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Malke