Defrag and Restore Problem

gfg

Defrag and Restore Problem
I cannot defrag. or restore. The Dell tech. said that he found a few files
which cannot be repaired by SFC/Scannow. I told him I probably needed to
take it into a PC shop, as he wanted me to reinstall Vista and I don't think
I can do that. He said to tell the shop to perform CHKDSK/R. Is this
something I can do at home, find and delete corrupt files, without
uninstalling and reinstalling Vista? I just used defrag. a few days ago and
it was seemingly fine.

THANKS!!
--
g2
Rick Rogers

Re: Defrag and Restore Problem
Hi,

To run chkdsk yourself, click start and type CMD. Right click the entry that
appears in the start menu and choose 'run as administrator'. Click continue
at the UAC prompt. From the command line, type "chdsk c: /r" (no quotes) and
hit <enter>. You will get a response that the drive cannot be locked, and it
will ask if you want to schedule it to be run on a system reboot. Respond Y
and hit <enter>, then close the command prompt and reboot to start. It will
take some time to run, especially on large drives with a lot of data. Do not
interrupt the process.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"gfg" <gfg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I cannot defrag. or restore. The Dell tech. said that he found a few files
> which cannot be repaired by SFC/Scannow. I told him I probably needed to
> take it into a PC shop, as he wanted me to reinstall Vista and I don't
> think
> I can do that. He said to tell the shop to perform CHKDSK/R. Is this
> something I can do at home, find and delete corrupt files, without
> uninstalling and reinstalling Vista? I just used defrag. a few days ago
> and
> it was seemingly fine.
>
> THANKS!!
> --
> g2

gfg

Re: Defrag and Restore Problem
Thanks, Rick. Will this process fix the corrupted files as the Dell tech
said? He also told me that there were a few files that could not be
repaired. What do I do about those? Do you suggest that I run this myself
and the PC will then function normally, or not run it and take it in for
repair? I REALLY appreciate your help.
--
g2

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> To run chkdsk yourself, click start and type CMD. Right click the entry that
> appears in the start menu and choose 'run as administrator'. Click continue
> at the UAC prompt. From the command line, type "chdsk c: /r" (no quotes) and
> hit <enter>. You will get a response that the drive cannot be locked, and it
> will ask if you want to schedule it to be run on a system reboot. Respond Y
> and hit <enter>, then close the command prompt and reboot to start. It will
> take some time to run, especially on large drives with a lot of data. Do not
> interrupt the process.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "gfg" <gfg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I cannot defrag. or restore. The Dell tech. said that he found a few files
> > which cannot be repaired by SFC/Scannow. I told him I probably needed to
> > take it into a PC shop, as he wanted me to reinstall Vista and I don't
> > think
> > I can do that. He said to tell the shop to perform CHKDSK/R. Is this
> > something I can do at home, find and delete corrupt files, without
> > uninstalling and reinstalling Vista? I just used defrag. a few days ago
> > and
> > it was seemingly fine.
> >
> > THANKS!!
> > --
> > g2

gfg

Re: Defrag and Restore Problem
PS Rick:
The Dell tech. also stated that he found a few files which cannot be
repaired by SPC/Scannow in command prompt. Will the process CHKDSK repair
those files or indicate which ones they are? How can they be repaired?
After the process is complete, will my system reboot normally?

THANK YOU!!! I am not a computer guru, but do know how to follow
instructions through the system. But, as the saying goes: a little bit of
knowledge can be VERY dangerous. :0)
--
g2

"gfg" wrote:

> Thanks, Rick. Will this process fix the corrupted files as the Dell tech
> said? He also told me that there were a few files that could not be
> repaired. What do I do about those? Do you suggest that I run this myself
> and the PC will then function normally, or not run it and take it in for
> repair? I REALLY appreciate your help.
> --
> g2
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > To run chkdsk yourself, click start and type CMD. Right click the entry that
> > appears in the start menu and choose 'run as administrator'. Click continue
> > at the UAC prompt. From the command line, type "chdsk c: /r" (no quotes) and
> > hit <enter>. You will get a response that the drive cannot be locked, and it
> > will ask if you want to schedule it to be run on a system reboot. Respond Y
> > and hit <enter>, then close the command prompt and reboot to start. It will
> > take some time to run, especially on large drives with a lot of data. Do not
> > interrupt the process.
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
> >
> > "gfg" <gfg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I cannot defrag. or restore. The Dell tech. said that he found a few files
> > > which cannot be repaired by SFC/Scannow. I told him I probably needed to
> > > take it into a PC shop, as he wanted me to reinstall Vista and I don't
> > > think
> > > I can do that. He said to tell the shop to perform CHKDSK/R. Is this
> > > something I can do at home, find and delete corrupt files, without
> > > uninstalling and reinstalling Vista? I just used defrag. a few days ago
> > > and
> > > it was seemingly fine.
> > >
> > > THANKS!!
> > > --
> > > g2

Rick Rogers

Re: Defrag and Restore Problem
Hi,

The routine is designed to fix these sort of problems. Once complete,
windows should load normally on its own.

--

> PS Rick:
> The Dell tech. also stated that he found a few files which cannot be
> repaired by SPC/Scannow in command prompt. Will the process CHKDSK repair
> those files or indicate which ones they are? How can they be repaired?
> After the process is complete, will my system reboot normally?
>
> THANK YOU!!! I am not a computer guru, but do know how to follow
> instructions through the system. But, as the saying goes: a little bit
> of
> knowledge can be VERY dangerous. :0)
> --
> g2
>

> "gfg" wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Rick. Will this process fix the corrupted files as the Dell tech
>> said? He also told me that there were a few files that could not be
>> repaired. What do I do about those? Do you suggest that I run this
>> myself
>> and the PC will then function normally, or not run it and take it in for
>> repair? I REALLY appreciate your help.
>> --
>> g2
>>

>> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > To run chkdsk yourself, click start and type CMD. Right click the entry
>> > that
>> > appears in the start menu and choose 'run as administrator'. Click
>> > continue
>> > at the UAC prompt. From the command line, type "chdsk c: /r" (no
>> > quotes) and
>> > hit <enter>. You will get a response that the drive cannot be locked,
>> > and it
>> > will ask if you want to schedule it to be run on a system reboot.
>> > Respond Y
>> > and hit <enter>, then close the command prompt and reboot to start. It
>> > will
>> > take some time to run, especially on large drives with a lot of data.
>> > Do not
>> > interrupt the process.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Best of Luck,
>> >
>> > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

gfg

Re: Defrag and Restore Problem
I finished running the process, however the defrag. and restore still will
not run. Next step? THANKS!
--
g2

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The routine is designed to fix these sort of problems. Once complete,
> windows should load normally on its own.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "gfg" <gfg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > PS Rick:
> > The Dell tech. also stated that he found a few files which cannot be
> > repaired by SPC/Scannow in command prompt. Will the process CHKDSK repair
> > those files or indicate which ones they are? How can they be repaired?
> > After the process is complete, will my system reboot normally?
> >
> > THANK YOU!!! I am not a computer guru, but do know how to follow
> > instructions through the system. But, as the saying goes: a little bit
> > of
> > knowledge can be VERY dangerous. :0)
> > --
> > g2
> >

> > "gfg" wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks, Rick. Will this process fix the corrupted files as the Dell tech
> >> said? He also told me that there were a few files that could not be
> >> repaired. What do I do about those? Do you suggest that I run this
> >> myself
> >> and the PC will then function normally, or not run it and take it in for
> >> repair? I REALLY appreciate your help.
> >> --
> >> g2

Rick Rogers

Re: Defrag and Restore Problem
Hi,

Try this: Click start and type msconfig, then hit <enter>. On the general
tab click on diagnostic mode, then click apply/ok and reboot. Retry running
the defrag routine. Then try creating a fresh restore point. If things work
in this mode, then the problem is with something loading at boot and running
on the system, interfering with these processes.

By the by, are you aware that defrag normally runs as a low priority
background process now.

--

news5D9D2A6-7127-46A7-B360-739018540795@microsoft.com...
>I finished running the process, however the defrag. and restore still will
> not run. Next step? THANKS!
> --
> g2
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The routine is designed to fix these sort of problems. Once complete,
>> windows should load normally on its own.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "gfg" <gfg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > PS Rick:
>> > The Dell tech. also stated that he found a few files which cannot be
>> > repaired by SPC/Scannow in command prompt. Will the process CHKDSK
>> > repair
>> > those files or indicate which ones they are? How can they be repaired?
>> > After the process is complete, will my system reboot normally?
>> >
>> > THANK YOU!!! I am not a computer guru, but do know how to follow
>> > instructions through the system. But, as the saying goes: a little
>> > bit
>> > of
>> > knowledge can be VERY dangerous. :0)
>> > --
>> > g2

gfg

Re: Defrag and Restore Problem
Thanks Rick,
Found a few corrupted file which couldn't be repaired. My OS disc did not
contain an option for upgrade/repair, so the only solution was to uninstall
and reinstall Vista. Not a good thing!!
--
g2

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Try this: Click start and type msconfig, then hit <enter>. On the general
> tab click on diagnostic mode, then click apply/ok and reboot. Retry running
> the defrag routine. Then try creating a fresh restore point. If things work
> in this mode, then the problem is with something loading at boot and running
> on the system, interfering with these processes.
>
> By the by, are you aware that defrag normally runs as a low priority
> background process now.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "gfg" <gfg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news5D9D2A6-7127-46A7-B360-739018540795@microsoft.com...
> >I finished running the process, however the defrag. and restore still will
> > not run. Next step? THANKS!
> > --
> > g2
> >

> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The routine is designed to fix these sort of problems. Once complete,
> >> windows should load normally on its own.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

DevilsPGD

Re: Defrag and Restore Problem
In message <AF1E0917-2B47-4E9A-BF85-EDAC016C356E@microsoft.com> gfg
<gfg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Found a few corrupted file which couldn't be repaired. My OS disc did not
>contain an option for upgrade/repair, so the only solution was to uninstall
>and reinstall Vista. Not a good thing!!

Do you have a genuine DVD from Microsoft, or something an OEM vendor has
customized?