System Restore failing

willow

System Restore failing
I Have Vista home basic

system restore says unspecified error

I do not have Norton, but did in the past. Removed it.
I now have Zone Alarm Security Suite.

If your out there Bert Kinney, you seem to know about this problem.
Love to hear from you.
Rick Rogers

Re: System Restore failing
Hi,

Have you been to Bert's site yet?
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/eerrormsgsv.html

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"willow" <willow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I Have Vista home basic
>
> system restore says unspecified error
>
> I do not have Norton, but did in the past. Removed it.
> I now have Zone Alarm Security Suite.
>
> If your out there Bert Kinney, you seem to know about this problem.
> Love to hear from you.

willow

Re: System Restore failing
Yes I,ve had a good look around his site, but have not been able to find
anything specific for my problem.
I have unspecified error in system restore.No restore points work.
Should I try to do restore in safe mode?
I do not have Norton, I have Zonealarm Security Suite
and use Desktop Mechanic to tidy up registry

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have you been to Bert's site yet?
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/eerrormsgsv.html
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "willow" <willow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I Have Vista home basic
> >
> > system restore says unspecified error
> >
> > I do not have Norton, but did in the past. Removed it.
> > I now have Zone Alarm Security Suite.
> >
> > If your out there Bert Kinney, you seem to know about this problem.
> > Love to hear from you.

Rick Rogers

Re: System Restore failing
Hi,

Can you undo the changes made by the Desktop Mechanic?

--

> Yes I,ve had a good look around his site, but have not been able to find
> anything specific for my problem.
> I have unspecified error in system restore.No restore points work.
> Should I try to do restore in safe mode?
> I do not have Norton, I have Zonealarm Security Suite
> and use Desktop Mechanic to tidy up registry
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Have you been to Bert's site yet?
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/eerrormsgsv.html
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "willow" <willow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I Have Vista home basic
>> >
>> > system restore says unspecified error
>> >
>> > I do not have Norton, but did in the past. Removed it.
>> > I now have Zone Alarm Security Suite.
>> >
>> > If your out there Bert Kinney, you seem to know about this problem.
>> > Love to hear from you.

Ray

Re: System Restore failing
=?Utf-8?B?d2lsbG93?= <willow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I Have Vista home basic
>
> system restore says unspecified error
>
> I do not have Norton, but did in the past. Removed it.
> I now have Zone Alarm Security Suite.

I've had this same error message a few times. Try booting in safe mode
and running the restore. It worked for me.

Also, have you run the Norton removal tool that's available from
Symantec? Norton is known for leaving pieces behind when you uninstall
it.

--
Ray
(remove the Xs to reply)
willow

Re: System Restore failing
I don't think I have, will look into it.

Also I found a launch for system restore in msconfig.
The error that comes up there is different.

Volume shadow copy service is not working
0x81000202

Thanks

"Ray" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?d2lsbG93?= <willow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I Have Vista home basic
> >
> > system restore says unspecified error
> >
> > I do not have Norton, but did in the past. Removed it.
> > I now have Zone Alarm Security Suite.

> I've had this same error message a few times. Try booting in safe mode
> and running the restore. It worked for me.
>
> Also, have you run the Norton removal tool that's available from
> Symantec? Norton is known for leaving pieces behind when you uninstall
> it.
>
> --
> Ray
> (remove the Xs to reply)

willow

Re: System Restore failing
Yes, but I'm not sure how long system restore has been a problem.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can you undo the changes made by the Desktop Mechanic?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "willow" <willow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes I,ve had a good look around his site, but have not been able to find
> > anything specific for my problem.
> > I have unspecified error in system restore.No restore points work.
> > Should I try to do restore in safe mode?
> > I do not have Norton, I have Zonealarm Security Suite
> > and use Desktop Mechanic to tidy up registry
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Have you been to Bert's site yet?
> >> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/eerrormsgsv.html
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick Rogers

Re: System Restore failing
Hi Willow,

I suspect that the registry changes made are probably the root of the
problem (there really is no need for these registry tools in Vista, or XP
for that matter, they are actually quite dangerous). I would concentrate any
efforts there.

--

> Yes, but I'm not sure how long system restore has been a problem.
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can you undo the changes made by the Desktop Mechanic?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "willow" <willow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Yes I,ve had a good look around his site, but have not been able to
>> > find
>> > anything specific for my problem.
>> > I have unspecified error in system restore.No restore points work.
>> > Should I try to do restore in safe mode?
>> > I do not have Norton, I have Zonealarm Security Suite
>> > and use Desktop Mechanic to tidy up registry

willow

Re: System Restore failing
I had a further meltdown where after a power cut and subsequent restart (with
several programs open, or trying to open, and computer was frozen,) vista
couldn't connect to internet and windows security turned off and wouldn't
turn back on and some problem with sound. I tried rebooting several times- no
improvement. i then went into safe mode and ran sysytem restore. the same
error came up at end saying it couldn't change anything.
But Hey Presto everything seemed to be back to normal

I have since run norton removal tool.