Corrupt files and files disappearing?

Lena

Corrupt files and files disappearing?
A little notification popped up saying iTunes had a corrupt file (it also
said that C:/Mft was corrupt), and it said, "use the Chkdsk utility". (I
tried searching for "chkdsk" but it wouldn't let me use it, it said I had to
be at an "elevated level"?)

And then the notification kept popping up, for all sorts of different
programs, not just iTunes but Notepad and Quicktime and everything, and then
all of my files (documents, etc) appeared to be gone. I restarted, and
everything's back, but now I'm very worried.

Anyone know what's going on, and what I can do? Thanks ahead of time!
Rick Rogers

Re: Corrupt files and files disappearing?
Hi Lena,

Run chkdsk from an elevated command prompt. Here are the steps: Click start
and type CMD, then right click the entry that appears in the menu and choose
'run as administrator' (this step is necessary regardless of whether you are
running an admin account). Click continue at the UAC prompt. From the
command prompt, run 'chkdsk C: /r'. You will get an error message that the
drive cannot be locked, and would you like this to be scheduled to run on
the next restart. Type 'y' and hit <enter>. Close the command prompt, then
restart the system.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Lena" <Lena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A little notification popped up saying iTunes had a corrupt file (it also
> said that C:/Mft was corrupt), and it said, "use the Chkdsk utility". (I
> tried searching for "chkdsk" but it wouldn't let me use it, it said I had
> be at an "elevated level"?)
>
> And then the notification kept popping up, for all sorts of different
> programs, not just iTunes but Notepad and Quicktime and everything, and
> then
> all of my files (documents, etc) appeared to be gone. I restarted, and
> everything's back, but now I'm very worried.
>
> Anyone know what's going on, and what I can do? Thanks ahead of time!

Richard Irving

Re: Corrupt files and files disappearing?
Hi Rick,

I'm having the same problem with a Lenovo laptop/Vista Home.
I tried your suggestion - run chkdsk from an elevated prompt, etc.,
but the restart did not run chkdsk. I saw a thread elsewhere that mentioned
rebooting thru SafeMode. Would that kick start chkdsk?
Is there any other way to handle the repeating "corrupt file" message boxes?
Thanks,
Richard