Backup error about space on Windows disk (0x81000014)

LauraB

Backup error about space on Windows disk (0x81000014)
I have Windows Vista Home Premium, and have been using the Backup tools that
come with Vista. I've been performing backups of my C drive to an external
harddrive (M).

For the most part the backup have been working, and I have tested recovering
files. However today I got an error that I cannot figure out:

The last file backup did not complete succesfully. Details:
"There is not enough space on your Windows disk to prepare for backing up
your files. At least 400MB of free space is required to continue.
(0x81000014)"

I have over 183GB for free space on C. And over 297GB of free space on M.
I'm not sure where it can't find 400MB of space in all these free GBs. Any
suggestions?

jmp

RE: Backup error about space on Windows disk (0x81000014)
I have the same problem, and I see several others have reported it too. I've
found no help anywhere.

"LauraB" wrote:

> I have Windows Vista Home Premium, and have been using the Backup tools that
> come with Vista. I've been performing backups of my C drive to an external
> harddrive (M).
>
> For the most part the backup have been working, and I have tested recovering
> files. However today I got an error that I cannot figure out:
>
> The last file backup did not complete succesfully. Details:
> "There is not enough space on your Windows disk to prepare for backing up
> your files. At least 400MB of free space is required to continue.
> (0x81000014)"
>
> I have over 183GB for free space on C. And over 297GB of free space on M.
> I'm not sure where it can't find 400MB of space in all these free GBs. Any
> suggestions?

LauraB

RE: Backup error about space on Windows disk (0x81000014)
Thanks for your reply. My guess is it's some sort of bug?
Because the next day it ran fine with no error mesages.

So I'm guessing the backups are okay, but I'd have a lot more confidence in
a backup system if it didn't give off error messages like this from time to
time.
--Laura

"jmp" wrote:

> I have the same problem, and I see several others have reported it too. I've
> found no help anywhere.
>
> "LauraB" wrote:
>
> > I have Windows Vista Home Premium, and have been using the Backup tools that
> > come with Vista. I've been performing backups of my C drive to an external
> > harddrive (M).
> >
> > For the most part the backup have been working, and I have tested recovering
> > files. However today I got an error that I cannot figure out:
> >
> > The last file backup did not complete succesfully. Details:
> > "There is not enough space on your Windows disk to prepare for backing up
> > your files. At least 400MB of free space is required to continue.
> > (0x81000014)"
> >
> > I have over 183GB for free space on C. And over 297GB of free space on M.
> > I'm not sure where it can't find 400MB of space in all these free GBs. Any
> > suggestions?

Christine [MSFT]

Re: Backup error about space on Windows disk (0x81000014)
Hi Laura & jmp,

Is that error a one-time issue, or has it been showing up constantly even
though there's enough space on your external HDD?

Thanks,
Christine

"LauraB" <LauraB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your reply. My guess is it's some sort of bug?
> Because the next day it ran fine with no error mesages.
>
> So I'm guessing the backups are okay, but I'd have a lot more confidence
> in
> a backup system if it didn't give off error messages like this from time
> time.
> --Laura
>
> "jmp" wrote:
>
>> I have the same problem, and I see several others have reported it too.
>> I've
>> found no help anywhere.
>>
>> "LauraB" wrote:
>>
>> > I have Windows Vista Home Premium, and have been using the Backup tools
>> > that
>> > come with Vista. I've been performing backups of my C drive to an
>> > external
>> > harddrive (M).
>> >
>> > For the most part the backup have been working, and I have tested
>> > recovering
>> > files. However today I got an error that I cannot figure out:
>> >
>> > The last file backup did not complete succesfully. Details:
>> > "There is not enough space on your Windows disk to prepare for backing
>> > up
>> > your files. At least 400MB of free space is required to continue.
>> > (0x81000014)"
>> >
>> > I have over 183GB for free space on C. And over 297GB of free space on
>> > M.
>> > I'm not sure where it can't find 400MB of space in all these free GBs.
>> > Any
>> > suggestions?

Mike Abrams

Re: Backup error about space on Windows disk (0x81000014)
Christine and others...

I just started getting this same error.. I deleted the old backup and
started from scratch and go it.. now several times... sometimes it took
longer than others until it stopped..

I dont know whats going on as everything was fine... sould an MS update have
botched this up? Because all was fine until recent. I did run disk cleanup
but doubt that would have to do with it as I ran this before.

SOmeone please help with this

I am running Ultimate 32 bit.

Mike
--
Mike Abrams

"Christine [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Laura & jmp,
>
> Is that error a one-time issue, or has it been showing up constantly even
> though there's enough space on your external HDD?
>
> Thanks,
> Christine
>
> "LauraB" <LauraB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your reply. My guess is it's some sort of bug?
> > Because the next day it ran fine with no error mesages.
> >
> > So I'm guessing the backups are okay, but I'd have a lot more confidence
> > in
> > a backup system if it didn't give off error messages like this from time
> > time.
> > --Laura
> >
> > "jmp" wrote:
> >
> >> I have the same problem, and I see several others have reported it too.
> >> I've
> >> found no help anywhere.

Bob

Re: Backup error about space on Windows disk (0x81000014)
Is the backup destination a FAT32 external hard drive?

"Mike Abrams" <MikeAbrams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Christine and others...
>
> I just started getting this same error.. I deleted the old backup and
> started from scratch and go it.. now several times... sometimes it took
> longer than others until it stopped..
>
> I dont know whats going on as everything was fine... sould an MS update
> have
> botched this up? Because all was fine until recent. I did run disk
> cleanup
> but doubt that would have to do with it as I ran this before.
>
> SOmeone please help with this
>
> I am running Ultimate 32 bit.
>
> Mike
> --
> Mike Abrams
>

> "Christine [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Laura & jmp,
>>
>> Is that error a one-time issue, or has it been showing up constantly even
>> though there's enough space on your external HDD?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Christine
>>
>> "LauraB" <LauraB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for your reply. My guess is it's some sort of bug?
>> > Because the next day it ran fine with no error mesages.
>> >
>> > So I'm guessing the backups are okay, but I'd have a lot more
>> > confidence
>> > in
>> > a backup system if it didn't give off error messages like this from
>> > time
>> > time.
>> > --Laura

Mike Abrams

Re: Backup error about space on Windows disk (0x81000014)
No it is NTFS... and it was working fine.. and it still works fine and then
stops all of the sudden....

This just started happening.. The messahe aout the windows directory too
small (there is 400 GB free on the windows dive!)
--
Mike Abrams

"Bob" wrote:

> Is the backup destination a FAT32 external hard drive?
>
> "Mike Abrams" <MikeAbrams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Christine and others...
> >
> > I just started getting this same error.. I deleted the old backup and
> > started from scratch and go it.. now several times... sometimes it took
> > longer than others until it stopped..
> >
> > I dont know whats going on as everything was fine... sould an MS update
> > have
> > botched this up? Because all was fine until recent. I did run disk
> > cleanup
> > but doubt that would have to do with it as I ran this before.
> >
> > SOmeone please help with this
> >
> > I am running Ultimate 32 bit.
> >
> > Mike
> > --
> > Mike Abrams
> >

> > "Christine [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Laura & jmp,
> >>
> >> Is that error a one-time issue, or has it been showing up constantly even
> >> though there's enough space on your external HDD?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Christine

Christine [MSFT]

Re: Backup error about space on Windows disk (0x81000014)
Hi Mike,

Can you send me all the etl files under C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup?
(remove "online" from my email address)

Also, can you send me the output of typing this command on an elevated
command prompt? (Start Menu->type "cmd"->right click->select "run as
administrator")
vsssadmin list shadowstorage

Thanks,
--
Christine Fok, Program Manager, Storage Solution Division

"Mike Abrams" wrote:

> No it is NTFS... and it was working fine.. and it still works fine and then
> stops all of the sudden....
>
> This just started happening.. The messahe aout the windows directory too
> small (there is 400 GB free on the windows dive!)
> --
> Mike Abrams
>

> "Bob" wrote:
>
> > Is the backup destination a FAT32 external hard drive?
> >
> > "Mike Abrams" <MikeAbrams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Christine and others...
> > >
> > > I just started getting this same error.. I deleted the old backup and
> > > started from scratch and go it.. now several times... sometimes it took
> > > longer than others until it stopped..
> > >
> > > I dont know whats going on as everything was fine... sould an MS update
> > > have
> > > botched this up? Because all was fine until recent. I did run disk
> > > cleanup
> > > but doubt that would have to do with it as I ran this before.
> > >
> > > SOmeone please help with this
> > >
> > > I am running Ultimate 32 bit.
> > >
> > > Mike
> > > --
> > > Mike Abrams

Bob

Re: Backup error about space on Windows disk (0x81000014)
Christine,
It's nice of you to offer personalized help but it would be even more
helpful if it was done through this newsgroup so others can benefit as well.

"Christine [MSFT]" <chfok@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Mike,
>
> Can you send me all the etl files under C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup?
> (remove "online" from my email address)
>
> Also, can you send me the output of typing this command on an elevated
> command prompt? (Start Menu->type "cmd"->right click->select "run as
> administrator")
> vsssadmin list shadowstorage
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Christine Fok, Program Manager, Storage Solution Division
>

> "Mike Abrams" wrote:
>
>> No it is NTFS... and it was working fine.. and it still works fine and
>> then
>> stops all of the sudden....
>>
>> This just started happening.. The messahe aout the windows directory too
>> small (there is 400 GB free on the windows dive!)
>> --
>> Mike Abrams
>>

>> "Bob" wrote:
>>
>> > Is the backup destination a FAT32 external hard drive?

Rick Rogers

Re: Backup error about space on Windows disk (0x81000014)
The etl files need to be examined by someone familiar with their meaning,
and attachments are generally discouraged in newsgroups. Both good reasons
to have them sent via email. Hopefully Christine will respond to the group
with her findings for everyone's benefit.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org