Can't Get Windows to Start- Reinstalling LAST CHOICE

Arlykat

Can't Get Windows to Start- Reinstalling LAST CHOICE
Hi. I have a computer I haven't run for about a year. It got plugged in and
out, disconnected things, connected them back, etc. thru the year. When I now
want to start it up to copy or move all of my important pics/info so I can
give the computer to a friend, Windows won't start. It is Win. 98 prob with
2nd edition. 1st it started and I got the screen files were missing or
corrupted - choose how to proceed: Safe Mode, Regular, Safe Mode With
Commands, etc. Whatever I clicked it took me to Startup Options. Told me I
had missing or corrupted files, 3 of them, can't remember exactly which, Win
HyMem, Win.com and something. It told me to run SYSREG I believe to sort of
scan the machine to find out what was wrong. It wouldn't do that, it would go
to Sys Scan but would just sit there, nothing on the page but "System Scan"
and nothing moving, showing progress, etc. Let it do that for a LONG time
then stopped it. Tried again to start in Safe Mode, took me to Startup
Options (and also list of info re: computer info, etc.). Tried everything and
nothing worked. I then tried to start it up with the Win 98 disk in D drive,
just came up files missing or corrupted, RetryAbort...something something.
When I tried to type in retry it just kept reshowing the same line mentioned
just above. Desperate, I even put in an AOL disk in D drive and restarted
computer - figured the ever hungry AOL giant would make ANYTHING work just to
get another client. Did nothing but show the removeabort retry message. Now
that is all that will come up on the screen, don't even get the Windows
startup options page.

I WOULD reinstall Win. 98 if I HAD to just to be able to give the computer
to my friend, even though I would lose some info I really wanted to keep.
What should I do? First, can anyone help me do some dos commands or something
to NOT have to reinstall Win? If so, you would have to help me get out of
this loop I am in - I cannot type ANYTHING that works on the missing or
corrupt message - abort, retry, delete, etc. Nothing I type clears that, no
different way to start the computer gets that off the screen. So, I would
have to know what to do to be able to actually get to a place where I could
do some dos commands.

ORRRR, how can I just reinstall Win. 98? Same problem as above, I can't get
anything different on the screen with or without the Win disk in D shutting
down and turning back on computer. There is NO screen option given me other
than the one error message above that does not respond to it's own question
by my trying to type retry or "r" or abort or "a." I want to keep this Win
98 on this computer because it will be up to them to upgrade when they can -
I just want them to be able to get on line or open the computer up even if
just to play the installed games that comes with it.

I know some regarding computers, not technical lingo, per se - you would
have to talk very basic with me if you can help. Don't assume I know where
something is if you suggest I use it or type it. As soon as I can get this
computer up I will give it to my friend who is very excited and anxiously
waiting for it. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks much.

Arlykat
Malke

Re: Can't Get Windows to Start- Reinstalling LAST CHOICE
Arlykat wrote:
> Hi. I have a computer I haven't run for about a year. It got plugged in and
> out, disconnected things, connected them back, etc. thru the year. When I now
> want to start it up to copy or move all of my important pics/info so I can
> give the computer to a friend, Windows won't start. It is Win. 98 prob with
> 2nd edition. 1st it started and I got the screen files were missing or
> corrupted - choose how to proceed: Safe Mode, Regular, Safe Mode With
> Commands, etc. Whatever I clicked it took me to Startup Options. Told me I
> had missing or corrupted files, 3 of them, can't remember exactly which, Win
> HyMem, Win.com and something. It told me to run SYSREG I believe to sort of
> scan the machine to find out what was wrong. It wouldn't do that, it would go
> to Sys Scan but would just sit there, nothing on the page but "System Scan"
> and nothing moving, showing progress, etc. Let it do that for a LONG time
> then stopped it. Tried again to start in Safe Mode, took me to Startup
> Options (and also list of info re: computer info, etc.). Tried everything and
> nothing worked. I then tried to start it up with the Win 98 disk in D drive,
> just came up files missing or corrupted, RetryAbort...something something.
> When I tried to type in retry it just kept reshowing the same line mentioned
> just above. Desperate, I even put in an AOL disk in D drive and restarted
> computer - figured the ever hungry AOL giant would make ANYTHING work just to
> get another client. Did nothing but show the removeabort retry message. Now
> that is all that will come up on the screen, don't even get the Windows
> startup options page.

(snippage)

I'm not sure why you posted this here in a Windows Vista newsgroup
instead of in a Win98 newsgroup since your issue has nothing to do with
Vista. However, since we're here...

1. Pull the drive and either slave it in a working XP/Vista machine or
put the drive in an external drive enclosure and attach to a working
XP/Vista machine. Copy off the data.

2. If the above doesn't work - the drive isn't seen, is too corrupted,
etc. - then you can try running data recovery software on it.

3. If that doesn't work, the hard drive is probably failing. Certainly
you should test it in any case before attempting to reinstall Win98 on it.

4. From your description of the issues, it sounds like more than just
the hard drive is failing. A win98 machine is very old and not worth
giving to anyone. It certainly will not be cost-efficient for anyone to
spend money repairing it.

Bottom line, retrieve the data if possible and move on. Standard caveat:
You should not take my post as a definitive diagnosis since I can't see
and test your computer myself. If this is important to you, consider
taking the machine to a local computer professional (not a
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad place) and having them do a hands-on diagnosis.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Arlykat

Re: Can't Get Windows to Start- Reinstalling LAST CHOICE
Malke,

Thanks for your advice. I thought I was posting in a Win. 98 community
because I did a search for that and then posted my question. No way to remove
it now from Vista soooooooo,

PLEASE DISREGARD THIS QUESTION VISTA USERS AND I APPOLOGIZE FOR POSTING
IMPROPERLY.

Arly