System idle process

RuthlessIX

System idle process
I use my laptop to play an MMoRPG Game and I noticed it runs extremely slower
than a few months back. I also noticed the System Idle Process is running and
using 90% of the cpu. Is there anything I can do to speed up my computer or
to stop the System Idle Process from using up all the CPU?
JW

Re: System idle process
The idle process is running because system has nothing else it can do until
some other process such as a disk retrieval or receipt of some data over the
network completes. If you do not defrag your disk regularly maybe you
should do so to reduce the clock time required to retrieve a file from
disk.
"RuthlessIX" <RuthlessIX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I use my laptop to play an MMoRPG Game and I noticed it runs extremely
>slower
> than a few months back. I also noticed the System Idle Process is running
> and
> using 90% of the cpu. Is there anything I can do to speed up my computer
> or
> to stop the System Idle Process from using up all the CPU?

RuthlessIX

Re: System idle process
So defragmenting the disks may fix the problem? It is on Windows Vista and it
had been defragmenting often as far as I know.

"JW" wrote:

> The idle process is running because system has nothing else it can do until
> some other process such as a disk retrieval or receipt of some data over the
> network completes. If you do not defrag your disk regularly maybe you
> should do so to reduce the clock time required to retrieve a file from
> disk.
> "RuthlessIX" <RuthlessIX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I use my laptop to play an MMoRPG Game and I noticed it runs extremely
> >slower
> > than a few months back. I also noticed the System Idle Process is running
> > and
> > using 90% of the cpu. Is there anything I can do to speed up my computer
> > or
> > to stop the System Idle Process from using up all the CPU?

JW

Re: System idle process
It sounds like defragging again will not resolve the issue.
Apparently the game is waiting for data to come off of either the program
file on the disk of from the paging file.
How much main memory do you have?
How big is your paging file?
Do you have a ReadyBoost flash drive/card installed?

> So defragmenting the disks may fix the problem? It is on Windows Vista and
> it
> had been defragmenting often as far as I know.
>
> "JW" wrote:
>
>> The idle process is running because system has nothing else it can do
>> until
>> some other process such as a disk retrieval or receipt of some data over
>> the
>> network completes. If you do not defrag your disk regularly maybe you
>> should do so to reduce the clock time required to retrieve a file from
>> disk.
>> "RuthlessIX" <RuthlessIX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I use my laptop to play an MMoRPG Game and I noticed it runs extremely
>> >slower
>> > than a few months back. I also noticed the System Idle Process is
>> > running
>> > and
>> > using 90% of the cpu. Is there anything I can do to speed up my
>> > computer
>> > or
>> > to stop the System Idle Process from using up all the CPU?

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: System idle process
On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 20:36:00 -0800, RuthlessIX
<RuthlessIX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I use my laptop to play an MMoRPG Game and I noticed it runs extremely slower
> than a few months back. I also noticed the System Idle Process is running and
> using 90% of the cpu. Is there anything I can do to speed up my computer or
> to stop the System Idle Process from using up all the CPU?

"System Idle Process" is not any problem at all. That's just the name
for what the system is doing when it's not doing anything. It's there
to make the total add up to 100%.

Look elsewhere for the cause of your slowdown. These days that's often
symptomatic of malware infection. I recommend that you begin
troubleshooting by going to MVP Malke's malware removal site at
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware and
following the instructions there.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Bruce Chambers

Re: System idle process
RuthlessIX wrote:
> I use my laptop to play an MMoRPG Game and I noticed it runs extremely slower
> than a few months back. I also noticed the System Idle Process is running and
> using 90% of the cpu. Is there anything I can do to speed up my computer or
> to stop the System Idle Process from using up all the CPU?

Break out a dictionary and look up the word "idle," sometime. ;-}
The "System Idle Process" metric is the amount/percentage of time that
your CPU has *nothing* to do. A reading of 98-99% is generally
considered a good thing, and readings above 90% are normal. Think of
it like a car's engine idling in your driveway before you place the
car in gear.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Yancy Box

Re: System idle process

I disagree with the answers posted here. If I am on my computer I am
not idle. I don't turn the computer on to stare at the screen. I am
always doing something, whether it be surfing the Internet,
sending/receiving emails, browsing myspace/facebook....my computer is
NEVER idle. I have done the same thing on this computer since I got it
and I've NEVER had Systerm Idle Process until the last two or three
weeks. I do a disk clean up and start a defrag EVERY night when I go to
bed. The next morning the defrag is done, I restart the comptuer and
BAM!!! System Idle Process. I do not do "scan disk" daily; however, I
do it regularly. I run my spyware removal, virus scan....all the
necessary things to keep a computer running smoothly...nothing seems to
work. The only thing I have changed on my computer in the last few
weeks was to download McAfee Security Center. I have uninstalled in
this morning (just prior to typing this). I hope it changes things once
I reboot the computer.

I will say this, I know for a fact, doing disk scan, disk clean up,
defrag, virus scan, spyware scan...none of this makes a difference at
all.

--
Yancy Box
R. C. White

Re: System idle process
Hi, Yancy.

And do you turn off your car's key when the traffic light turns red? Or do
you let the engine idle until the light turns green?

That's what the "system idle process" is doing much of the day. Computers
are so fast that, even for the fastest typist writing a letter in Word, for
example, MOST of the computer's time is spent waiting for the next
keystroke. Idling. And the faster the computer, the more time it has to
idle. Even when multi-tasking a dozen applications at once, the computer
usually has plenty of "free" time when it is just idling, waiting to see if
we are going to press the Start button or do something else to interrupt it.

> and I've NEVER had Systerm Idle Process until the last two or three
> weeks.

Then you must not have ever looked for it before. Because it HAS been
idling.

In Task Manager, on the Processes tab, make sure the CPU column is displayed
and sorted with the biggest number at the top. If you don't see "System
Idle Process" at the top, then look at the bottom of this window to the box
labeled, "Show processes from all users". Check this box and watch the
display change. Don't be surprised if you see System Idle Process at the
top with a BIG number in the CPU column. At this moment, I have a
half-dozen applications running in the background, plus I'm drafting this
post, and, of course, Task Manager itself is running. Still the System Idle
Process is getting 98-99% of CPU time. The CPU is just idling, waiting for
me to "step on the gas" - to give it something MORE to do. ;^}

It's A Good Thing!

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Yancy Box" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I disagree with the answers posted here. If I am on my computer I am
> not idle. I don't turn the computer on to stare at the screen. I am
> always doing something, whether it be surfing the Internet,
> sending/receiving emails, browsing myspace/facebook....my computer is
> NEVER idle. I have done the same thing on this computer since I got it
> and I've NEVER had Systerm Idle Process until the last two or three
> weeks. I do a disk clean up and start a defrag EVERY night when I go to
> bed. The next morning the defrag is done, I restart the comptuer and
> BAM!!! System Idle Process. I do not do "scan disk" daily; however, I
> do it regularly. I run my spyware removal, virus scan....all the
> necessary things to keep a computer running smoothly...nothing seems to
> work. The only thing I have changed on my computer in the last few
> weeks was to download McAfee Security Center. I have uninstalled in
> this morning (just prior to typing this). I hope it changes things once
> I reboot the computer.
>
> I will say this, I know for a fact, doing disk scan, disk clean up,
> defrag, virus scan, spyware scan...none of this makes a difference at
> all.
>

> --
> Yancy Box

Landry

Re: System idle process

Alright it's good that's a good thing... for you, but you wouldn't say
that if you were on my computer. Even my cursor is moving like flash
lights in night clubs. I won't describe all the problems it gave, but
please tell at least how to make it back to normal, or a you alreay
mentioned how to press the start button. Because even when I'm playing
games that usually take not less than all of my CPU it doesn't get
low... at ALL.

Landry

--
Landry
whs

Re: System idle process

Yancy Box;961223 Wrote:
> I disagree with the answers posted here. If I am on my computer I am not
> idle. I don't turn the computer on to stare at the screen. I am always
> doing something, whether it be surfing the Internet, sending/receiving
> emails, browsing myspace/facebook....my computer is NEVER idle. I have
> done the same thing on this computer since I got it and I've NEVER had
> Systerm Idle Process until the last two or three weeks. I do a disk
> clean up and start a defrag EVERY night when I go to bed. The next
> morning the defrag is done, I restart the comptuer and BAM!!! System
> Idle Process. I do not do "scan disk" daily; however, I do it regularly.
> I run my spyware removal, virus scan....all the necessary things to keep
> a computer running smoothly...nothing seems to work. The only thing I
> have changed on my computer in the last few weeks was to download McAfee
> Security Center. I have uninstalled in this morning (just prior to
> typing this). I hope it changes things once I reboot the computer.
>
> I will say this, I know for a fact, doing disk scan, disk clean up,
> defrag, virus scan, spyware scan...none of this makes a difference at
> all.

Still, Ken Blake is right. The SIP is nothing but the complement of the
CPU time used. When your PC is shut off, the SIP is 100%. The "tasks"
you mentioned do not use a lot of CPU. Those are more bottlenecked by
the HDD and the internet speed.

--
whs