Partitions with different BCD definitions

Erhard Glueck

Partitions with different BCD definitions
Please a question to the boot process using VISTA,

I installed 2 different Vista's on different partitions;
those are able to be defined as active partitions.

With the partition, which is chronology and physical the first one,
set active, the settings defined with EasyBCD are working as intended.

When setting active the other partition,
the operating system located here will be booted,
but then is no dialog for choosing another,
although defined with EasyBCD also here .

Please give me an idea,
what happens really, while booting vista.

Thank you so much
Erhard

Rick Rogers

Re: Partitions with different BCD definitions
Hi,

You can only have one active volume regardless of the number of operating
systems installed. When you boot, the system locates the active volume and
loads the information in its mbr. The mbr in turn points to and locates the
boot files. The boot files, in the case of a multiboot, then locate the
appropriate path for the OS bootloader (ntldr for XP and winload.exe for
Vista for example).

When you load the first installation, it has boot paths for both installs
(just run bcdedit /enum from an elevated command prompt to see them). When
you load the second volume, it does not have them.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org