Search Replace With Word 2007 No Longer Working

Bob H

Search Replace With Word 2007 No Longer Working
I'm using 32 bit Vista Home Premium, and Office 2007 Home & Student Edition -
and have had no problems with the combinationn until now.

Suddenly, for no apparent reason a Macro that I use a lot in Word 2007 has
stopped running - some of the time but not every time. The Macro is a simple
one that invoked the Search/Replace function - and I can replicate the same
problems if I try and use Search/Replace manually.

The first thing the Macro does is to look for "^p^p" (two consecutive
paragraph markers) and replace these with a dummy marker (I later remove all
of the remaining "^p"s, and then use that dumy marker to put the "^p" pair
back - its a simple way of removing superfluous end of line markers from a
block of text).

What I'm now getting is a frozen Word when I try and Replace All of the ^p
pairs.
Closing and re-opening Word one or two times (it varies how many times)
allows it to automaticaally recover the same text and then Word allows the
Macro to run, but only until I try and start again with a new document/block
of text and repeat the process. I've tried a repair install of Office, and
finally the complete deletion and re-install of Office but neither have fixed
the problem.

Any ideas what else to try? I'm mystified given the clean install of Office,
and the intermittant nature of the problem.

Bob H

RE: Search Replace With Word 2007 No Longer Working
For what its worth, I've just tried creating a new User Account and running
Word from there - same problem was found. I wondered if the Search/Replace
function created a temporary scratch pad file in the
C:\Users\$Username\appdata area when running which had somehow become
corrupted - but looks like that theory can be ruled out.

"Bob H" wrote:

> I'm using 32 bit Vista Home Premium, and Office 2007 Home & Student Edition -
> and have had no problems with the combinationn until now.
>
> Suddenly, for no apparent reason a Macro that I use a lot in Word 2007 has
> stopped running - some of the time but not every time. The Macro is a simple
> one that invoked the Search/Replace function - and I can replicate the same
> problems if I try and use Search/Replace manually.
>
> The first thing the Macro does is to look for "^p^p" (two consecutive
> paragraph markers) and replace these with a dummy marker (I later remove all
> of the remaining "^p"s, and then use that dumy marker to put the "^p" pair
> back - its a simple way of removing superfluous end of line markers from a
> block of text).
>
> What I'm now getting is a frozen Word when I try and Replace All of the ^p
> pairs.
> Closing and re-opening Word one or two times (it varies how many times)
> allows it to automaticaally recover the same text and then Word allows the
> Macro to run, but only until I try and start again with a new document/block
> of text and repeat the process. I've tried a repair install of Office, and
> finally the complete deletion and re-install of Office but neither have fixed
> the problem.
>
> Any ideas what else to try? I'm mystified given the clean install of Office,
> and the intermittant nature of the problem.

Bob H

RE: Search Replace With Word 2007 No Longer Working
I've managed to find a work around - but am mystified why this change to the
Macro is necessary. Has a recent automatic download from MS caused this
issue??

Anyway, I found that Word 2007 now locks up frequently if I search for "^p^p"

I edited my Macro and now look for every "^p", and change it to "[[". I
then subsequently look for "[[[[" (i.e. two ^ps together) and change them to
"^p^p". I then delete the remaining "[["s (i.e. all of the single "^p"s
remaining) - overall I've achieved what I did before in a roundabout way, and
it now works.

Any clues why the change was required?