Restore Files access denied?

Jeff Wegher

Restore Files access denied?
I have been using the Backup Files on Vista Home Premium against a shared
drive on another (Vista Ultimate) machine. The machine was having problems
so I wiped it and did a clean install of Home Premium. When I went to
Restore Files, I simply couldn't get it to work.

I would specify Advanced to restore files from a different computer (since
this one was rebuilt) and would point it at the same network share on the
other machine by using the Browse button and specifying the username and
password to attach to the share (e.g. \\ULTIMATE\d, user ULTIMATE\localuser).
When I click Next, it says Access Denied (error 80070005 I think). However,
I can get at those files with Explorer in the exact same way no problem.

The Ultimate machine does backups from the C drive to the D drive, and the
Home machine does backups to \\ULTIMATE\d. So I wind up with a directory
structure and contents on D:

MediaID.bin
ULTIMATE\Backup Set...
HOMEPREM\Backup Set...

If I specify one subfolder lower, e.g. \\ULTIMATE\d\HOMEPREM then it says no
backup sets found, but does not give the Access Denied error.

The localuser account on Ultimate does not have administrative priviledges,
but I have looked at the share permissions and file permissions on everything
on D, and everything is accessible (at a minimum Read) for a Validated User.

So what on earth causes this error? What is denying the access?

After messing around with this for hours, I finally restored some of the
files onto the Ultimate machine to a new directory and manually copied them
over. This is very time consuming and there are other things I haven't
copied yet, and was hoping to find a solution prior to doing more manual
restoration.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff

Steven Bright

RE: Restore Files access denied?
I am having the same problem. I have about 100 GB in a backup set from
automatic backups of my files and now that I reinstalled Vista and am trying
to restore my files, it says that it can't find my backup sets. I'm ready to
go nuts as I was DEPENDING on this to BACKUP my data so that I could RESTORE
it in the event that my hard drive crashes as it did.

If I point it to the root of the drive I get "Access Denied", if I point it
to any other folder, it says "Windows can not locate a backup set".

"Jeff Wegher" wrote:

> I have been using the Backup Files on Vista Home Premium against a shared
> drive on another (Vista Ultimate) machine. The machine was having problems
> so I wiped it and did a clean install of Home Premium. When I went to
> Restore Files, I simply couldn't get it to work.
>
> I would specify Advanced to restore files from a different computer (since
> this one was rebuilt) and would point it at the same network share on the
> other machine by using the Browse button and specifying the username and
> password to attach to the share (e.g. \\ULTIMATE\d, user ULTIMATE\localuser).
> When I click Next, it says Access Denied (error 80070005 I think). However,
> I can get at those files with Explorer in the exact same way no problem.
>
> The Ultimate machine does backups from the C drive to the D drive, and the
> Home machine does backups to \\ULTIMATE\d. So I wind up with a directory
> structure and contents on D:
>
> MediaID.bin
> ULTIMATE\Backup Set...
> HOMEPREM\Backup Set...
>
> If I specify one subfolder lower, e.g. \\ULTIMATE\d\HOMEPREM then it says no
> backup sets found, but does not give the Access Denied error.
>
> The localuser account on Ultimate does not have administrative priviledges,
> but I have looked at the share permissions and file permissions on everything
> on D, and everything is accessible (at a minimum Read) for a Validated User.
>
> So what on earth causes this error? What is denying the access?
>
> After messing around with this for hours, I finally restored some of the
> files onto the Ultimate machine to a new directory and manually copied them
> over. This is very time consuming and there are other things I haven't
> copied yet, and was hoping to find a solution prior to doing more manual
> restoration.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

stephen.ogletree@gmail.com

Re: Restore Files access denied?
Same problem here - 100gb on an XP share that the dell vista laptop
refuses to restore with the access denied error 0x80070005. Other
folders give the "no backup set found", even other folders underneath
the backup folder. Picking backup files themselves yields a "this is
not a valid directory" error message. Dell support said "we do not
support any backing up software" and refuses to look into it.

On Dec 28 2007, 4:21 pm, Jeff Wegher
<JeffWeg...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have been using the Backup Files on Vista Home Premium against a shared
> drive on another (Vista Ultimate) machine. The machine was having problems
> so I wiped it and did a clean install of Home Premium. When I went to
> Restore Files, I simply couldn't get it to work.
>
> I would specify Advanced to restore files from a different computer (since
> this one was rebuilt) and would point it at the same network share on the
> other machine by using the Browse button and specifying the username and
> password to attach to the share (e.g. \\ULTIMATE\d, user ULTIMATE\localuser).
> When I click Next, it says Access Denied (error 80070005 I think). However,
> I can get at those files with Explorer in the exact same way no problem.
>
> The Ultimate machine does backups from the C drive to the D drive, and the
> Home machine does backups to \\ULTIMATE\d. So I wind up with a directory
> structure and contents on D:
>
> MediaID.bin
> ULTIMATE\Backup Set...
> HOMEPREM\Backup Set...
>
> If I specify one subfolder lower, e.g. \\ULTIMATE\d\HOMEPREM then it says no
> backup sets found, but does not give the Access Denied error.
>
> The localuser account on Ultimate does not have administrative priviledges,
> but I have looked at the share permissions and file permissions on everything
> on D, and everything is accessible (at a minimum Read) for a Validated User.
>
> So what on earth causes this error? What is denying the access?
>
> After messing around with this for hours, I finally restored some of the
> files onto the Ultimate machine to a new directory and manually copied them
> over. This is very time consuming and there are other things I haven't
> copied yet, and was hoping to find a solution prior to doing more manual
> restoration.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

SWOTAR

RE: Restore Files access denied?
I have the EXACT same problem...
I've seen this problem on this board a lot of times... However NO ONE
appears to have a solution... I think it's time for an MS expert to help some
of us out a little...
I have a DELL XPS 420 with a Maxtor 250GB ext hard drive... I did a
'Complete PC Backup' to B: drive (The ext Maxtor)
Next, I rebooted and used the system repair from the boot menu... this
formated my hard drive and set everything back to the DELL factory
defaults... re-installing Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2K7, and all the
other DELL junk...
Now, I'd like to restore the computer to before the DELL repair... the files
are all still on the B: drive, I can see them there...
However, when I go to 'Restore files' -> 'Advanced restore' -> 'Warning -
Continue' -> only the 'Files from a backup made on a different computer.' is
enabled and already has a tick in the radio button -> 'Next' -> 'Looking for
backup devices...' -> I select B: drive -> and it tells me "Windows cannot
find an backup sets on the selected device"