Firewall and WiFi

Dan

Firewall and WiFi
If I am picking up an over-spill of Wifi 54g 8. lynksys from a nearby Hotel
and I am using a VPN-hotshield with Vista settings at "public" with all
"sharing/discovers" off...?should any Firewall settings be allowed?
Currently i have "core networking", "Hot sync (Palm) and "remote assistance"
=3 exceptions. The computer is a 2007 and has not really denied me anything i
have tried with it. Just minor blips. I use it for basics and entertainment.
-Dan

Quaoar

Re: Firewall and WiFi
Dan wrote:
> If I am picking up an over-spill of Wifi 54g 8. lynksys from a nearby Hotel
> and I am using a VPN-hotshield with Vista settings at "public" with all
> "sharing/discovers" off...?should any Firewall settings be allowed?
> Currently i have "core networking", "Hot sync (Palm) and "remote assistance"
> =3 exceptions. The computer is a 2007 and has not really denied me anything i
> have tried with it. Just minor blips. I use it for basics and entertainment.
> -Dan

1. In your Linksys router setup, change the wireless channel to, say,
11. Then, change the SSID (network name) to something other than
"Linksys". This will prevent any "overspill" from other Linksys networks.

2. Change your local network in Vista to "Private". Choosing Private
will allow access to your local network and Internet, but prevent
intrusions from external sources.

3. Invoke, in your router setup, WPA or WPA2 security, set a network
key, and use that key when connecting to your newly-named wireless network.

Trash Folder

Re: Firewall and WiFi
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 13:04:34 -0700, Quaoar <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
wrote:

>Dan wrote:
>> If I am picking up an over-spill of Wifi 54g 8. lynksys from a nearby Hotel
>> and I am using a VPN-hotshield with Vista settings at "public" with all
>> "sharing/discovers" off...?should any Firewall settings be allowed?
>> Currently i have "core networking", "Hot sync (Palm) and "remote assistance"
>> =3 exceptions. The computer is a 2007 and has not really denied me anything i
>> have tried with it. Just minor blips. I use it for basics and entertainment.
>> -Dan
>>

>1. In your Linksys router setup, change the wireless channel to, say,
>11. Then, change the SSID (network name) to something other than
>"Linksys". This will prevent any "overspill" from other Linksys networks.

Further to that, if you type

netsh wlan show all

into a command prompt, then the final entries in the output will
include the channel numbers of other available networks. You can set
your router to something different to the neighbouring networks.

--
TF
Dan

that is alot
thats alot of changes ... i am running so well with these settings i have. i
have check these out a little. do you know about the firewall question? and
a good site to look into router performance and settings.?
Dan

Re: Firewall and WiFi
-In Net-adapter-Properties: you mean "ibss channel number: 1 through 14?
-enterprise or personal WPA?
-my Priority &VLAN is set to: disabled
-set to Public Vs Private ? as it is =public, but your saying when i make
the other changes i should then change to private?

-Dan

"Quaoar" wrote:

> Dan wrote:
> > If I am picking up an over-spill of Wifi 54g 8. lynksys from a nearby Hotel
> > and I am using a VPN-hotshield with Vista settings at "public" with all
> > "sharing/discovers" off...?should any Firewall settings be allowed?
> > Currently i have "core networking", "Hot sync (Palm) and "remote assistance"
> > =3 exceptions. The computer is a 2007 and has not really denied me anything i
> > have tried with it. Just minor blips. I use it for basics and entertainment.
> > -Dan
> >

> 1. In your Linksys router setup, change the wireless channel to, say,
> 11. Then, change the SSID (network name) to something other than
> "Linksys". This will prevent any "overspill" from other Linksys networks.
>
> 2. Change your local network in Vista to "Private". Choosing Private
> will allow access to your local network and Internet, but prevent
> intrusions from external sources.
>
> 3. Invoke, in your router setup, WPA or WPA2 security, set a network
> key, and use that key when connecting to your newly-named wireless network.

Dan

it checks out, thanks for your help -Dan
it checks out, thanks for your help -Dan

Dan

change the SSID (network name)??
you said. "change the SSID".
i found this- how does this fit in with me not having accses to the router?

"An SSID can be changed at any time, as long as the change is also made on
all wireless":
clients"(http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/w...changessid.htm)

9