CPU Clock Speed?

Eddie

CPU Clock Speed?
Is there something in Vista that would reduce clock speed for
performance/efficiency purposes? I have new build with E6750 processor that
is clocked at 2667 with FSB of 333 and multiple of 8. Which BIOS shows.
However, CPU-Z, and the motherboard utility Easy Tune5 from Gigabyte, show
running at 2000 with multiple of 6 -- and will not "overclock" back up to
2667. Vista device manager lists at 2667.

Not sure which to believe. Or what to do. Thoughts? Thanks.

f/fgeorge

Re: CPU Clock Speed?
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:50:36 -0500, "Eddie" <ladams@columbus.rr.com>
wrote:

>Is there something in Vista that would reduce clock speed for
>performance/efficiency purposes? I have new build with E6750 processor that
>is clocked at 2667 with FSB of 333 and multiple of 8. Which BIOS shows.
>However, CPU-Z, and the motherboard utility Easy Tune5 from Gigabyte, show
>running at 2000 with multiple of 6 -- and will not "overclock" back up to
>2667. Vista device manager lists at 2667.
>
>Not sure which to believe. Or what to do. Thoughts? Thanks.

Get a newer version of the tester programs, your versions may not be
tuned for Vista.
Hans-Georg Michna

Re: CPU Clock Speed?
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:50:36 -0500, Eddie wrote:

>Is there something in Vista that would reduce clock speed for
>performance/efficiency purposes? I have new build with E6750 processor that
>is clocked at 2667 with FSB of 333 and multiple of 8. Which BIOS shows.
>However, CPU-Z, and the motherboard utility Easy Tune5 from Gigabyte, show
>running at 2000 with multiple of 6 -- and will not "overclock" back up to
>2667. Vista device manager lists at 2667.
>
>Not sure which to believe. Or what to do. Thoughts? Thanks.

RMClock may be the best tool for CPU clock control. Check
http://winhlp.com/rmclock.htm for some details and hints,
although the article does not deal with your particular
processor type.

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.
Eddie

Re: CPU Clock Speed?
Good thought, but I think both programs are latest versions. At this point,
I think I am going to double check my power supply voltages to make sure
they are on spec. If so, I'm thinking this has something to do with cpu
performance/power vs. fan noise management -- and that Vista clocks down the
processor when system/application load is low and does not need.

As hinted at through Vista control panel "Power Options". If so, then maybe
this is a good thing. But would like to confirm.

Thanks.

"f/fgeorge" <ffgeorge@yourplace.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:50:36 -0500, "Eddie" <ladams@columbus.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Is there something in Vista that would reduce clock speed for
>>performance/efficiency purposes? I have new build with E6750 processor
>>that
>>is clocked at 2667 with FSB of 333 and multiple of 8. Which BIOS shows.
>>However, CPU-Z, and the motherboard utility Easy Tune5 from Gigabyte, show
>>running at 2000 with multiple of 6 -- and will not "overclock" back up to
>>2667. Vista device manager lists at 2667.
>>
>>Not sure which to believe. Or what to do. Thoughts? Thanks.

> Get a newer version of the tester programs, your versions may not be
> tuned for Vista.

Eddie

Re: CPU Clock Speed?
RMClock confirms processor cores are generally running at 2000 with 6x
multiplier -- but, as I watch in real time, will see jump up just
momentarily to 2667 and then back down to 2000. So hopefully this is just a
power management thing, and not a problem with my build. Still, would like
to confirm. Thanks.

"Hans-Georg Michna" <hans-georgNoEmailPlease@michna.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:50:36 -0500, Eddie wrote:
>
>>Is there something in Vista that would reduce clock speed for
>>performance/efficiency purposes? I have new build with E6750 processor
>>that
>>is clocked at 2667 with FSB of 333 and multiple of 8. Which BIOS shows.
>>However, CPU-Z, and the motherboard utility Easy Tune5 from Gigabyte, show
>>running at 2000 with multiple of 6 -- and will not "overclock" back up to
>>2667. Vista device manager lists at 2667.
>>
>>Not sure which to believe. Or what to do. Thoughts? Thanks.

> RMClock may be the best tool for CPU clock control. Check
> http://winhlp.com/rmclock.htm for some details and hints,
> although the article does not deal with your particular
> processor type.
>
> Hans-Georg
> --
> No mail, please.

mikeyhsd

Re: CPU Clock Speed?
check the power option you are using.

balanced reduces the cpu but allows it to increase under load.
power save, reduce the cpu and keeps it reduced.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"Eddie" <ladams@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message news:79364086-C82F-4A75-8FE5-2366183A5099@microsoft.com...
Good thought, but I think both programs are latest versions. At this point,
I think I am going to double check my power supply voltages to make sure
they are on spec. If so, I'm thinking this has something to do with cpu
performance/power vs. fan noise management -- and that Vista clocks down the
processor when system/application load is low and does not need.

As hinted at through Vista control panel "Power Options". If so, then maybe
this is a good thing. But would like to confirm.

Thanks.

"f/fgeorge" <ffgeorge@yourplace.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:50:36 -0500, "Eddie" <ladams@columbus.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Is there something in Vista that would reduce clock speed for
>>performance/efficiency purposes? I have new build with E6750 processor
>>that
>>is clocked at 2667 with FSB of 333 and multiple of 8. Which BIOS shows.
>>However, CPU-Z, and the motherboard utility Easy Tune5 from Gigabyte, show
>>running at 2000 with multiple of 6 -- and will not "overclock" back up to
>>2667. Vista device manager lists at 2667.
>>
>>Not sure which to believe. Or what to do. Thoughts? Thanks.

> Get a newer version of the tester programs, your versions may not be
> tuned for Vista.

Eddie

Re: CPU Clock Speed?
Option is balanced, but even under the max power setting, it still shows as running at 2000 under mostly no load. Where, novice that I am, I would have expected to be pegged 100% at 2667. Any thoughts on how I can set to see run at full 2667, just for a while, so that I can see that all is well with my build? After which I'll probably be happy to let the system manage the processor and power demand.

Thanks.
"mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com> wrote in message news:%23qPkwOXSIHA.2000@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
check the power option you are using.

balanced reduces the cpu but allows it to increase under load.
power save, reduce the cpu and keeps it reduced.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"Eddie" <ladams@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message news:79364086-C82F-4A75-8FE5-2366183A5099@microsoft.com...
Good thought, but I think both programs are latest versions. At this point,
I think I am going to double check my power supply voltages to make sure
they are on spec. If so, I'm thinking this has something to do with cpu
performance/power vs. fan noise management -- and that Vista clocks down the
processor when system/application load is low and does not need.

As hinted at through Vista control panel "Power Options". If so, then maybe
this is a good thing. But would like to confirm.

Thanks.

"f/fgeorge" <ffgeorge@yourplace.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:50:36 -0500, "Eddie" <ladams@columbus.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Is there something in Vista that would reduce clock speed for
>>performance/efficiency purposes? I have new build with E6750 processor
>>that
>>is clocked at 2667 with FSB of 333 and multiple of 8. Which BIOS shows.
>>However, CPU-Z, and the motherboard utility Easy Tune5 from Gigabyte, show
>>running at 2000 with multiple of 6 -- and will not "overclock" back up to
>>2667. Vista device manager lists at 2667.
>>
>>Not sure which to believe. Or what to do. Thoughts? Thanks.

> Get a newer version of the tester programs, your versions may not be
> tuned for Vista.

Bob H

Re: CPU Clock Speed?
Give the system some work to do - something that loads up the CPU. You'll see
the speed ramp up in CPU-Z etc. if the cause was power saving.
NB - Intel TAT (Thermal Analysis Tool) is one way of loading it in this
manner. Prime 95 is another.

Bob,

"Eddie" wrote:

> RMClock confirms processor cores are generally running at 2000 with 6x
> multiplier -- but, as I watch in real time, will see jump up just
> momentarily to 2667 and then back down to 2000. So hopefully this is just a
> power management thing, and not a problem with my build. Still, would like
> to confirm. Thanks.
>
> "Hans-Georg Michna" <hans-georgNoEmailPlease@michna.com> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:50:36 -0500, Eddie wrote:
> >
> >>Is there something in Vista that would reduce clock speed for
> >>performance/efficiency purposes? I have new build with E6750 processor
> >>that
> >>is clocked at 2667 with FSB of 333 and multiple of 8. Which BIOS shows.
> >>However, CPU-Z, and the motherboard utility Easy Tune5 from Gigabyte, show
> >>running at 2000 with multiple of 6 -- and will not "overclock" back up to
> >>2667. Vista device manager lists at 2667.
> >>
> >>Not sure which to believe. Or what to do. Thoughts? Thanks.

> > RMClock may be the best tool for CPU clock control. Check
> > http://winhlp.com/rmclock.htm for some details and hints,
> > although the article does not deal with your particular
> > processor type.
> >
> > Hans-Georg
> > --
> > No mail, please.

Jeff Wegher

RE: CPU Clock Speed?
This is normal operation -- when the system is idle the multiplier is reduced
to slow the processor and save energy. Run one of the stability tests such
as Orthos that put a stressful load on the CPU and you will see the numbers
pop up to their high settings.

"Eddie" wrote:

> Is there something in Vista that would reduce clock speed for
> performance/efficiency purposes? I have new build with E6750 processor that
> is clocked at 2667 with FSB of 333 and multiple of 8. Which BIOS shows.
> However, CPU-Z, and the motherboard utility Easy Tune5 from Gigabyte, show
> running at 2000 with multiple of 6 -- and will not "overclock" back up to
> 2667. Vista device manager lists at 2667.
>
> Not sure which to believe. Or what to do. Thoughts? Thanks.

mikeyhsd

Re: CPU Clock Speed?
switch to High Performance for a bit and check. it locks it to max speed and keeps it there.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com