Indexing

Errold32

Indexing
Maybe I don't how indexing works but, to my understanding, it builds an
index, when first started, of all the files in the assigned places. That part
is fine. What annoys me is that it seems to rebuild this index perodically,
causing excessive hard drive activity. Does it modify the index when an
individual file is created, moved, or deleted? If so, why the periodic
reindexing? I have a laptop, and excessive hard drive activity annoys me and
drains my battery.

Thanks.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...ce_maintenance
Peter in New Zealand

Re: Indexing

"Errold32" <Errold32@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Maybe I don't how indexing works but, to my understanding, it builds an
> index, when first started, of all the files in the assigned places. That
> part
> is fine. What annoys me is that it seems to rebuild this index
> perodically,
> causing excessive hard drive activity. Does it modify the index when an
> individual file is created, moved, or deleted? If so, why the periodic
> reindexing? I have a laptop, and excessive hard drive activity annoys me
> and
> drains my battery.

Well I have Vista Home premium on a home built desktop, and recently got fed
up with the HDD activity when updating indexing. Can't tell you for sure
what exactly triggers it, but I turned indexing off on all drives. Results?
Well, occasiionally a search takes a little longer, and I use the time to
stretch or make a cuppa. I don't mind that. But the HDD is sure quieter. As
a bonus the machine is more responsive too. Might be worth trying,
especially on a laptop. If you find that you end up preferring it on just
turn indexing back on again. Hope this helps.

--
Peter in New Zealand. (Email address is fake)
Collector of old cameras, tropical fish fancier, good coffee nutter, and