Power on, boot time analysis

Rafael Rivera [Live Butterfly]

Power on, boot time analysis
Is there software out there that will perform similarly to Bootvis on Windows
Vista? I would like to trace through Windows' boot up to retrieve driver
start up times and determine bottlenecks.

I am pending in the Windows Vista Resume Performance program on Connect but
I fear this will not have the tools I need to do what I want to accomplish.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

- Rafael
Errold32

RE: Power on, boot time analysis
The event logs in Vista will give you that information although they are not
very easy to read. I am having problems with hibernate proformance myself.

see this site
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=246

"Rafael Rivera [Live Butterfly]" wrote:

> Is there software out there that will perform similarly to Bootvis on Windows
> Vista? I would like to trace through Windows' boot up to retrieve driver
> start up times and determine bottlenecks.
>
> I am pending in the Windows Vista Resume Performance program on Connect but
> I fear this will not have the tools I need to do what I want to accomplish.
> Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> - Rafael

Rafael Rivera [Live Butterfly]

RE: Power on, boot time analysis
Thanks for the reply. These logs aren't specific enough to be useful in my
case. I'd like to narrow down to the device driver level.

- Rafael

"Errold32" wrote:

> The event logs in Vista will give you that information although they are not
> very easy to read. I am having problems with hibernate proformance myself.
>
> see this site
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=246
>

> "Rafael Rivera [Live Butterfly]" wrote:
>
> > Is there software out there that will perform similarly to Bootvis on Windows
> > Vista? I would like to trace through Windows' boot up to retrieve driver
> > start up times and determine bottlenecks.
> >
> > I am pending in the Windows Vista Resume Performance program on Connect but
> > I fear this will not have the tools I need to do what I want to accomplish.
> > Correct me if I'm wrong.
> >
> > - Rafael

Errold32

RE: Power on, boot time analysis
The logs are pretty specific i guess, the problem is finding the information
in the morass

I like to get to specific divece driver level too, believe me, but the above
suggestion is what I was told by Microsoft.

Didn't bootvis have a device driver delay graph?.....

"Rafael Rivera [Live Butterfly]" wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. These logs aren't specific enough to be useful in my
> case. I'd like to narrow down to the device driver level.
>
> - Rafael
>
> "Errold32" wrote:
>
> > The event logs in Vista will give you that information although they are not
> > very easy to read. I am having problems with hibernate proformance myself.
> >
> > see this site
> > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=246
> >

> > "Rafael Rivera [Live Butterfly]" wrote:
> >
> > > Is there software out there that will perform similarly to Bootvis on Windows
> > > Vista? I would like to trace through Windows' boot up to retrieve driver
> > > start up times and determine bottlenecks.
> > >
> > > I am pending in the Windows Vista Resume Performance program on Connect but
> > > I fear this will not have the tools I need to do what I want to accomplish.
> > > Correct me if I'm wrong.
> > >
> > > - Rafael

Rafael Rivera [Live Butterfly]

RE: Power on, boot time analysis
It did. I'm sure Microsoft updated Bootvis internally, but alas we're mere
users in their eyes. How dare we want in depth knowledge of Windows Vista,
pfft!

- Rafael