Vista Connection Wizard

Fybo

Vista Connection Wizard
Hi all,

I recently installed SP1 Beta Vista and about a week after doing so,
although it may be compeltely unrelated, I got a BSOD while installing
ZoneAlarms new beta for Vista.

When I restarted everything was working perfectly, no issues, but when I
clicked on the shortcut to connect to "My ISP" I get an error message saying
"My ISP cannot be found" or similar with "explorer.exe" in the blue bar at
the top of the window.

So I tried other ways to connect and even using the connection wizard I put
in the password etc. and it still says it cannot create the connection.

I contacted my ISP (Virgin in the UK) who state some files have become
corrupted by the BSOD and my two options are (a) re-install Vista or (b) buy
a router that would bypass the need for the connection through Vista.

Neither appeal to me and I thought I'd check with the experts to see if
there is a fix or something else I could try first.

Many many thanks,
Fybo.
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Vista Connection Wizard
"Fybo" <Fybo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I recently installed SP1 Beta Vista and about a week after doing so,
> although it may be compeltely unrelated, I got a BSOD while installing
> ZoneAlarms new beta for Vista.
>
> When I restarted everything was working perfectly, no issues, but when I
> clicked on the shortcut to connect to "My ISP" I get an error message
> saying
> "My ISP cannot be found" or similar with "explorer.exe" in the blue bar at
> the top of the window.
>
> So I tried other ways to connect and even using the connection wizard I
> put
> in the password etc. and it still says it cannot create the connection.
>
> I contacted my ISP (Virgin in the UK) who state some files have become
> corrupted by the BSOD and my two options are (a) re-install Vista or (b)
> buy
> a router that would bypass the need for the connection through Vista.
>
> Neither appeal to me and I thought I'd check with the experts to see if
> there is a fix or something else I could try first.
>
> Many many thanks,
> Fybo.

Go to 'Programs and Features' in Control Panel. Select 'View installed
updates' from the menu on the left side. Uninstall 'Service Pack for
Microsoft Windows' and wait for the RTM to appear some time during Q1 2008.
--
Mike Hall - MVP

Malke

Re: Vista Connection Wizard
Fybo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently installed SP1 Beta Vista and about a week after doing so,
> although it may be compeltely unrelated, I got a BSOD while installing
> ZoneAlarms new beta for Vista.
>
> When I restarted everything was working perfectly, no issues, but when I
> clicked on the shortcut to connect to "My ISP" I get an error message saying
> "My ISP cannot be found" or similar with "explorer.exe" in the blue bar at
> the top of the window.
>
> So I tried other ways to connect and even using the connection wizard I put
> in the password etc. and it still says it cannot create the connection.
>
> I contacted my ISP (Virgin in the UK) who state some files have become
> corrupted by the BSOD and my two options are (a) re-install Vista or (b) buy
> a router that would bypass the need for the connection through Vista.

Let's see - you're using two betas (hopefully not on a production
machine). Uninstall ZoneAlarm. Check on ZA's website for any special
uninstallation instructions first. If that works, there you go.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com