Scrambled Display Vista nVidia

David P. Greer

Scrambled Display Vista nVidia
I am having a problem with a scrambled display in Vista. Here's what's
happening:

If the computer has been idle long enough for the display to go into
standby mode, once it is reawakened, everything seems normal. That is,
until you do something that requires UAC, or a 3D game. When the UAC
screen dimms, the screen becomes totally scrambled. The same if you
start a 3D game like Doom. There is no clearing the display - the
computer has to be rebooted.

Interestingly, if after the computer wakes from standby I log off, then
log back on, the system performs properly, with no screen scrambling.

The system is an Athlon X2 6000, nVidia 7900GT, Vista Ultimate (32-bit)
with all the updates and patches. I have installed the nVidia 169.25
drivers, though this problem has existed with all the previous drivers.

Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone found a solution?

Thanks for your feedback.
Rafael Rivera [Live Butterfly]

RE: Scrambled Display Vista nVidia
What version of the NVIDIA Forceware drivers are you using? You can determine
this by right-clicking your desktop, clicking NVIDIA Control Panel, Help,
then finally System Information.

- Rafael

"David P. Greer" wrote:

> I am having a problem with a scrambled display in Vista. Here's what's
> happening:
>
> If the computer has been idle long enough for the display to go into
> standby mode, once it is reawakened, everything seems normal. That is,
> until you do something that requires UAC, or a 3D game. When the UAC
> screen dimms, the screen becomes totally scrambled. The same if you
> start a 3D game like Doom. There is no clearing the display - the
> computer has to be rebooted.
>
> Interestingly, if after the computer wakes from standby I log off, then
> log back on, the system performs properly, with no screen scrambling.
>
> The system is an Athlon X2 6000, nVidia 7900GT, Vista Ultimate (32-bit)
> with all the updates and patches. I have installed the nVidia 169.25
> drivers, though this problem has existed with all the previous drivers.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone found a solution?
>
> Thanks for your feedback.

David P. Greer

Rafael Rivera [Live Butterfly] wrote:
> What version of the NVIDIA Forceware drivers are you using? You can determine
> this by right-clicking your desktop, clicking NVIDIA Control Panel, Help,
> then finally System Information.
>
> - Rafael

169.25 WHQL - but this problem has existed with all the previous drivers
as well.
JamesH

RE: Scrambled Display Vista nVidia
I have exactly the same problem as you, my specs are similar, being a 7900 GT
with the same drivers.

My cpu is a bit diff though, AMD 3800+

I'm wondering if you managed to solve this problem, or if anyone knows a
solution.

So far it has happened to me exiting standby and when entering Unreal
Tournament 3, I haven't been able to test it on other games yet because I
haven't bothered installing yet with this problem..

I have tried disabling the aero theme because it was suggested on some
forum, and it didn't make a difference

"David P. Greer" wrote:

> I am having a problem with a scrambled display in Vista. Here's what's
> happening:
>
> If the computer has been idle long enough for the display to go into
> standby mode, once it is reawakened, everything seems normal. That is,
> until you do something that requires UAC, or a 3D game. When the UAC
> screen dimms, the screen becomes totally scrambled. The same if you
> start a 3D game like Doom. There is no clearing the display - the
> computer has to be rebooted.
>
> Interestingly, if after the computer wakes from standby I log off, then
> log back on, the system performs properly, with no screen scrambling.
>
> The system is an Athlon X2 6000, nVidia 7900GT, Vista Ultimate (32-bit)
> with all the updates and patches. I have installed the nVidia 169.25
> drivers, though this problem has existed with all the previous drivers.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone found a solution?
>
> Thanks for your feedback.

gaf314159

RE: Scrambled Display Vista nVidia
Finally somebody knows what I'm going through! Though I think I have it
worse than you. I have Windows Vista Business (32 bit), and an Nvidia 7900GT
as well. For me, the screen gets scrambled (almost a siezure inducing strobe
effect) right after I install a new driver. This causes me to have to shut
the computer down with the power button, but the problem reappears as soon as
I log on to my account. This problem happens with all Nvidia drivers 1xx.xx
except for 158.18. In 158.18, I get a scrambled screen frequently when
playing Dawn of War 40K. I've found the solution to this is to do
Cntrl+Alt+Delete and then Esc. I recently installed driver 169.25 and after
I installed I got the scrambled screen, the only difference is I get a blank
screen when I log-on instead of the scrambled screen. I can't install two of
the hot-fixes that nvidia recommends because "it does not apply to my system"
and I already checked--I don't already have them.

"David P. Greer" wrote:

> I am having a problem with a scrambled display in Vista. Here's what's
> happening:
>
> If the computer has been idle long enough for the display to go into
> standby mode, once it is reawakened, everything seems normal. That is,
> until you do something that requires UAC, or a 3D game. When the UAC
> screen dimms, the screen becomes totally scrambled. The same if you
> start a 3D game like Doom. There is no clearing the display - the
> computer has to be rebooted.
>
> Interestingly, if after the computer wakes from standby I log off, then
> log back on, the system performs properly, with no screen scrambling.
>
> The system is an Athlon X2 6000, nVidia 7900GT, Vista Ultimate (32-bit)
> with all the updates and patches. I have installed the nVidia 169.25
> drivers, though this problem has existed with all the previous drivers.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone found a solution?
>
> Thanks for your feedback.

SAINT

RE: Scrambled Display Vista nVidia
I seem to be having the samer problem, most 3d games will cause the scrambled
display. I have an intel e8400 running vista ultimate 32bit and ofcourse a
7900GT. I have tried the latest nvidia drivers including 174.xx (released
april 1st 2008). Does anyone know of a fix?

"David P. Greer" wrote:

> I am having a problem with a scrambled display in Vista. Here's what's
> happening:
>
> If the computer has been idle long enough for the display to go into
> standby mode, once it is reawakened, everything seems normal. That is,
> until you do something that requires UAC, or a 3D game. When the UAC
> screen dimms, the screen becomes totally scrambled. The same if you
> start a 3D game like Doom. There is no clearing the display - the
> computer has to be rebooted.
>
> Interestingly, if after the computer wakes from standby I log off, then
> log back on, the system performs properly, with no screen scrambling.
>
> The system is an Athlon X2 6000, nVidia 7900GT, Vista Ultimate (32-bit)
> with all the updates and patches. I have installed the nVidia 169.25
> drivers, though this problem has existed with all the previous drivers.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone found a solution?
>
> Thanks for your feedback.

TM Fosket

RE: Scrambled Display Vista nVidia
I wish that was all it was for me...when my screen decides to scramble, it
doesn't matter what I am doing, I don't always even get to the desktop. It
has scrambled while I have been playing second life, while I have been
reading and posting at message boards, while I have been trying to get to
some sort of support or help to find out what is going on and how to fix it,
AND at the windows login screen.

so yeah....I'm hoping for fixes as well, please.

"David P. Greer" wrote:

> I am having a problem with a scrambled display in Vista. Here's what's
> happening:
>
> If the computer has been idle long enough for the display to go into
> standby mode, once it is reawakened, everything seems normal. That is,
> until you do something that requires UAC, or a 3D game. When the UAC
> screen dimms, the screen becomes totally scrambled. The same if you
> start a 3D game like Doom. There is no clearing the display - the
> computer has to be rebooted.
>
> Interestingly, if after the computer wakes from standby I log off, then
> log back on, the system performs properly, with no screen scrambling.
>
> The system is an Athlon X2 6000, nVidia 7900GT, Vista Ultimate (32-bit)
> with all the updates and patches. I have installed the nVidia 169.25
> drivers, though this problem has existed with all the previous drivers.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone found a solution?
>
> Thanks for your feedback.

Fritzo

RE: Scrambled Display Vista nVidia
I have the same issue- an NVidia 7900GT in a AMD X2 4200+ based system. I've
used the latest drivers from NVidia's site as well as their beta drivers
available as of a few days ago, and the problem persists. Anytime there is
any kind of resolution change (switching to a 3D game, one of those annoying
"Allow or Deny" windows pops up, etc) the screen will scramble. It only
seems to happen if the computer has been sitting idle for a while, so I'm
wondering if it has to do with a power saving feature? I have all of my
power features disabled, but this will only happen if the computer has been
sitting for at least 3-4 hours.

To prevent damage when this occurs I set my power button to "Shut Down"
instead of "Power Off". This way Windows properly shuts down so I can
reboot. I don't know if this is a Windows issue, an Nvidia issue, or both,
but these kinds of things are why Vista is becoming the most hated OS since
Windows ME.
SAINT

RE: Scrambled Display Vista nVidia
I have found that i no longer have the problem after removing the nividia
driver completely. I usually only had issues when the resolution was
changed.... starting a game for the first time ect. windows driver (WDDM)
performs so-so but atleast its not scrambled.