Speeding up Vista - Removing "Calculating feature"

Geoff from LA

Speeding up Vista - Removing "Calculating feature"
I'm trying every way possible to speed up Vista to at least meet what XP did.

one really annoying feature is the file transfer "calculation". Where it
tries to figure out how long it will take to copy before it starts copying.
Is there any way to disable this? By the time the calculator is done the file
would be already moved.

I was really hoping that when I selected to buy Vista "Business" edition, I
would have a software designed for work, not home newbie users.

Am I missing a "Performance theme" setting somewhere?

Thanks for any help!

- Geoff Erwin
Geoff from LA

RE: Speeding up Vista - Removing "Calculating feature"
I found one setting that may speed things up (correct me if I'm wrong), I
just can't figure out how to completely disable it.

Anyone know how to disable the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) option? I
only see an option to disable it for individual programs, I want it gone from
everything.

- Geoff

"Geoff from LA" wrote:

> I'm trying every way possible to speed up Vista to at least meet what XP did.
>
> one really annoying feature is the file transfer "calculation". Where it
> tries to figure out how long it will take to copy before it starts copying.
> Is there any way to disable this? By the time the calculator is done the file
> would be already moved.
>
> I was really hoping that when I selected to buy Vista "Business" edition, I
> would have a software designed for work, not home newbie users.
>
> Am I missing a "Performance theme" setting somewhere?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> - Geoff Erwin

John S

RE: Speeding up Vista - Removing "Calculating feature"
The DEP is a security bit program and should not effect any download speed.
But you can turn it off usually through your BIOS settings.

"Geoff from LA" wrote:

> I found one setting that may speed things up (correct me if I'm wrong), I
> just can't figure out how to completely disable it.
>
> Anyone know how to disable the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) option? I
> only see an option to disable it for individual programs, I want it gone from
> everything.
>
> - Geoff
>
> "Geoff from LA" wrote:
>
> > I'm trying every way possible to speed up Vista to at least meet what XP did.
> >
> > one really annoying feature is the file transfer "calculation". Where it
> > tries to figure out how long it will take to copy before it starts copying.
> > Is there any way to disable this? By the time the calculator is done the file
> > would be already moved.
> >
> > I was really hoping that when I selected to buy Vista "Business" edition, I
> > would have a software designed for work, not home newbie users.
> >
> > Am I missing a "Performance theme" setting somewhere?
> >
> > Thanks for any help!
> >
> > - Geoff Erwin

John Barnett MVP

Re: Speeding up Vista - Removing "Calculating feature"
You can try this link from my website:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/disable...prevention.htm but I'm
not saying it will speed thing up.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Geoff from LA" <GeofffromLA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying every way possible to speed up Vista to at least meet what XP
> did.
>
> one really annoying feature is the file transfer "calculation". Where it
> tries to figure out how long it will take to copy before it starts
> copying.
> Is there any way to disable this? By the time the calculator is done the
> file
> would be already moved.
>
> I was really hoping that when I selected to buy Vista "Business" edition,
> would have a software designed for work, not home newbie users.
>
> Am I missing a "Performance theme" setting somewhere?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> - Geoff Erwin

Rick Rogers

Re: Speeding up Vista - Removing "Calculating feature"
Hi,

So you want malware to be able to execute from protected memory storage?
Disabling DEP will have exactly -0- effect on speeding things up. Running
Vista on the same hardware as you ran XP on, I would expect it to be slower.
There's more resource overhead, higher memory requirements, etc.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

>I found one setting that may speed things up (correct me if I'm wrong), I
> just can't figure out how to completely disable it.
>
> Anyone know how to disable the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) option? I
> only see an option to disable it for individual programs, I want it gone
> from
> everything.
>
> - Geoff
>
> "Geoff from LA" wrote:
>
>> I'm trying every way possible to speed up Vista to at least meet what XP
>> did.
>>
>> one really annoying feature is the file transfer "calculation". Where it
>> tries to figure out how long it will take to copy before it starts
>> copying.
>> Is there any way to disable this? By the time the calculator is done the
>> file
>> would be already moved.
>>
>> I was really hoping that when I selected to buy Vista "Business" edition,
>> would have a software designed for work, not home newbie users.
>>
>> Am I missing a "Performance theme" setting somewhere?
>>
>> Thanks for any help!
>>
>> - Geoff Erwin

Steve Thackery

Re: Speeding up Vista - Removing "Calculating feature"
> one really annoying feature is the file transfer "calculation". Where it
> tries to figure out how long it will take to copy before it starts
> copying.
> Is there any way to disable this? By the time the calculator is done the
> file
> would be already moved.

There's already been a patch for this issued through the normal updates
process, but plenty of people say it doesn't help.

Apparently SP1 will make another attempt at fixing it.

I agree that there should be a simple way of switching the calculation off,
but there doesn't seem to be.

SteveT

Steve Thackery

Re: Speeding up Vista - Removing "Calculating feature"
> Anyone know how to disable the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) option? I
> only see an option to disable it for individual programs, I want it gone
> from
> everything.

You really don't want to do this. DEP addresses a fundamental flaw in the
von Neumann architecture used in all PC processors. DEP closes off a big
security hole.

It should make no difference at all to the execution speed.

SteveT

DevilsPGD

Re: Speeding up Vista - Removing "Calculating feature"
In message <#QbcikvRIHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> "Steve Thackery"
<thack@nowhere.net> wrote:

>I agree that there should be a simple way of switching the calculation off,
>but there doesn't seem to be.

There doesn't actually appear to be any delay, at least based on
watching the drive lights, Resource Monitor, or the remote system when
copying over a network, the copy starts immediately, the
"Calculating..." phase doesn't actually slow down the start of copying.

I'm not suggesting that copy / move speeds are acceptable, just that the
calculating phase isn't actually the problem.