Excessive load/boot time

Guido

Excessive load/boot time
I have four different copmuters, all running a DG965OT intel procesor with a
Core2 chip. Two have Vista HP and two have Ultimate. All four are having
the same problem. When I turn the computer on there is a 30 second lag
between when the Bios spash screen show to when the first boot device is
attempted(in this case it is the CD drive). There is then a 4 to 5 min pause
before the vista splash screen starts. I don't think this is normal but it
happens on all my systems. Is this a vista problem or a motherboard/bois
problem. I have updated the bios and have all vista updates minus the SP1
beta. One computer is running a raid all the others are not.
brink

Re: Excessive load/boot time

Guido;552082 Wrote:
> I have four different copmuters, all running a DG965OT intel procesor
> with a
> Core2 chip. Two have Vista HP and two have Ultimate. All four are
> having
> the same problem. When I turn the computer on there is a 30 second lag
> between when the Bios spash screen show to when the first boot device
> is
> attempted(in this case it is the CD drive). There is then a 4 to 5 min
> pause
> before the vista splash screen starts. I don't think this is normal but
> it
> happens on all my systems. Is this a vista problem or a
> motherboard/bois
> problem. I have updated the bios and have all vista updates minus the
> SP1
> beta. One computer is running a raid all the others are not.

Hi Guido,

This will show you how to get rid of that 30 second delay.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70563-boot-up.html

For the rest of the time delay, I would check the starup programs to
see if you have anything in there that may be the slow loader or if you
just have to many things loading. You can test this by booting into
Safe Mode. If it loads faster, then it probably is a startup program.

For Startup programs, see:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79...e-disable.html

For Safe Mode, see: (Select Safe Mode)
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...t-options.html

Shawn

--
brink

VISTA FORUMS X64 (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM/\")
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Guido

Re: Excessive load/boot time
I geuss I forgot to add some information. I did suspect the start-up
programs. I have all but three services in the msconfig start-up turned off.
Even when running I only have 32 programs running. I also get the excessive
load time in "safe mode".

"brink" wrote:

> Guido;552082 Wrote:
> > I have four different copmuters, all running a DG965OT intel procesor
> > with a
> > Core2 chip. Two have Vista HP and two have Ultimate. All four are
> > having
> > the same problem. When I turn the computer on there is a 30 second lag
> > between when the Bios spash screen show to when the first boot device
> > is
> > attempted(in this case it is the CD drive). There is then a 4 to 5 min
> > pause
> > before the vista splash screen starts. I don't think this is normal but
> > it
> > happens on all my systems. Is this a vista problem or a
> > motherboard/bois
> > problem. I have updated the bios and have all vista updates minus the
> > SP1
> > beta. One computer is running a raid all the others are not.

> Hi Guido,
>
> This will show you how to get rid of that 30 second delay.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70563-boot-up.html
>

> For the rest of the time delay, I would check the starup programs to
> see if you have anything in there that may be the slow loader or if you
> just have to many things loading. You can test this by booting into
> Safe Mode. If it loads faster, then it probably is a startup program.
>
> For Startup programs, see:
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79...e-disable.html
>

> For Safe Mode, see: (Select Safe Mode)
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...t-options.html
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> VISTA FORUMS X64 (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM/\")

Ian D

Re: Excessive load/boot time

"Guido" <Guido@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have four different copmuters, all running a DG965OT intel procesor with
> Core2 chip. Two have Vista HP and two have Ultimate. All four are having
> the same problem. When I turn the computer on there is a 30 second lag
> between when the Bios spash screen show to when the first boot device is
> attempted(in this case it is the CD drive). There is then a 4 to 5 min
> pause
> before the vista splash screen starts. I don't think this is normal but
> it
> happens on all my systems. Is this a vista problem or a motherboard/bois
> problem. I have updated the bios and have all vista updates minus the SP1
> beta. One computer is running a raid all the others are not.

The initial 30 second delay isn't too far out of line. It looks like you
have the
CD/DVD drive selected as the first boot drive. That is usually needed
only for installing or repairing an OS. In BIOS, change the order of
booting so that the first boot device is your boot hard drive. This should
shave a few seconds off the initial boot time.

Re the longer delay, where does it occur in the Vista boot process?
When I boot Vista and the OS starts loading, the green bar indicator
appears for a few seconds, followed by blank screen for a few more
seconds. Then the orb appears followed immediately by the login window.
This whole process takes 20-25 seconds on a 2.4 GHz P4. The total
time from power on to login screen is 35-40 seconds. The long delay
could be due to a hardware driver problem, or a network problem.
Are the systems connected to a network? If not, you should give each
computer an arbitrary IP address, otherwise there will be a delay in

Guido

Re: Excessive load/boot time
The system is on a network. The longer boot happens in between the bois
splash screen and the green bar indicator. There is a second pause of 10-12
sec between the bar indicator and the vista logo, that I understand. During
the long pause I do not see or hear any activity coming form the computer,
ie. system busy light flashing, hard drive speeding up, hard drive needle
moving. I have attempted four differnet reinstalls thinking that it could be
a problem. The extra drivers I have installed are: Nvidia Driver for 7
series card, Angel II tuner card, Creative Xfi sound card. I know thats
vague but someone may have heard of some conflict I have yet to read about.

> The system is on a network. The longer boot happens in between the bois
> splash screen and the green bar indicator. There is a second pause of
> 10-12
> sec between the bar indicator and the vista logo, that I understand.
> During
> the long pause I do not see or hear any activity coming form the computer,
> ie. system busy light flashing, hard drive speeding up, hard drive needle
> moving. I have attempted four differnet reinstalls thinking that it could
> be
> a problem. The extra drivers I have installed are: Nvidia Driver for 7
> series card, Angel II tuner card, Creative Xfi sound card. I know thats
> vague but someone may have heard of some conflict I have yet to read
> about.
>
> "Ian D" wrote:

It looks like the system is having difficulty in finding the your hard
drive.
As I indicated previously, in BIOS change the first boot device to the
hard drive. From what you say, this is now set to the CD/DVD drive,
and that could be the cause of your delay.

ltippett

Re: Excessive load/boot time
I have been experiencing this same issue and I have a very similiar setup to
yours (CPU, BIOS, and sound board are the same). I believe that the problem
is with the sound board driver.

Under my Windows Vista Problem Reports and Solutions section, I have a
persistent message to download and install the latest driver for my Creative
SB X-fi device. Of course, I have done that and the conflict problem
persists. Anyway, other than the long boot times, I have been unable to
detect any other problems after I boot up and log in.

Lew

"Guido" wrote:

> The system is on a network. The longer boot happens in between the bois
> splash screen and the green bar indicator. There is a second pause of 10-12
> sec between the bar indicator and the vista logo, that I understand. During
> the long pause I do not see or hear any activity coming form the computer,
> ie. system busy light flashing, hard drive speeding up, hard drive needle
> moving. I have attempted four differnet reinstalls thinking that it could be
> a problem. The extra drivers I have installed are: Nvidia Driver for 7
> series card, Angel II tuner card, Creative Xfi sound card. I know thats
> vague but someone may have heard of some conflict I have yet to read about.
>
> "Ian D" wrote:
>

> > "Guido" <Guido@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have four different copmuters, all running a DG965OT intel procesor with
> > > Core2 chip. Two have Vista HP and two have Ultimate. All four are having
> > > the same problem. When I turn the computer on there is a 30 second lag
> > > between when the Bios spash screen show to when the first boot device is
> > > attempted(in this case it is the CD drive). There is then a 4 to 5 min
> > > pause
> > > before the vista splash screen starts. I don't think this is normal but
> > > it
> > > happens on all my systems. Is this a vista problem or a motherboard/bois
> > > problem. I have updated the bios and have all vista updates minus the SP1
> > > beta. One computer is running a raid all the others are not.

> > The initial 30 second delay isn't too far out of line. It looks like you
> > have the
> > CD/DVD drive selected as the first boot drive. That is usually needed
> > only for installing or repairing an OS. In BIOS, change the order of
> > booting so that the first boot device is your boot hard drive. This should
> > shave a few seconds off the initial boot time.
> >
> > Re the longer delay, where does it occur in the Vista boot process?
> > When I boot Vista and the OS starts loading, the green bar indicator
> > appears for a few seconds, followed by blank screen for a few more
> > seconds. Then the orb appears followed immediately by the login window.
> > This whole process takes 20-25 seconds on a 2.4 GHz P4. The total
> > time from power on to login screen is 35-40 seconds. The long delay
> > could be due to a hardware driver problem, or a network problem.
> > Are the systems connected to a network? If not, you should give each
> > computer an arbitrary IP address, otherwise there will be a delay in

chetahelup

Re: Excessive load/boot time

Guido;552082 Wrote:
> I have four different copmuters, all running a DG965OT intel procesor
> with a
> Core2 chip. Two have Vista HP and two have Ultimate. All four are
> having
> the same problem. When I turn the computer on there is a 30 second lag
> between when the Bios spash screen show to when the first boot device
> is
> attempted(in this case it is the CD drive). There is then a 4 to 5 min
> pause
> before the vista splash screen starts. I don't think this is normal but
> it
> happens on all my systems. Is this a vista problem or a
> motherboard/bois
> problem. I have updated the bios and have all vista updates minus the
> SP1
> beta. One computer is running a raid all the others are not.

I am having this exact same problem with my gateway gt56363, which has
the same motherboard. I have tried installing a fresh version of vista
and i have the same effect. Can you please let me know if anyone ever
resolved this problem?

--
chetahelup
Steve Thackery

Re: Excessive load/boot time
>>There is then a 4 to 5 min
>> pause
>> before the vista splash screen starts. I don't think this is normal but
>> it
>> happens on all my systems. Is this a vista problem or a
>> motherboard/bois
>> problem.

This sounds like a driver problem, actually.

Somewhere deep in the bowels of Vista you can find out how long each driver
takes to load. Trouble is, I've forgotten where!

So, I can't help directly, but maybe this will set you off on another track.

If I remember, I'll report back.

SteveT

chetahelup

Re: Excessive load/boot time