chkdsk does not check drive on re-boot

zorzal

chkdsk does not check drive on re-boot

I set chkdsk /f in three three ways but it does not check the drive on
reboot; it goes all the way to vista as usual.
a) opened a comand window with admin privileges, run chkdsk /f, tells
me that will do it on reboot but does not, b) found chkdsk.exe on
explorer, right click on the file, run as admin, same thing, c) on
explorer right click on drive c:, properties, click on the button for
check disk, same thing.
DID chkdsk with no switches on a command window, it shows corrupted
sectors and quits w/o checking all the disk.
DID fsutil dirty query c: and yes, the drive is dirty.
I have a Lenovo 3000 N100, Vista Home Premium, and a C: drive Hitachi
ATA. Ir runs very slow but fine otherwise.
What can I do to fix those bad sectors ?
Thanks, Zorzal.

--
zorzal

Zorzal.
Conley

RE: chkdsk does not check drive on re-boot

Boot from the Vista DVD, go into the repair menu, and run chkdsk from a
command prompt.

"zorzal" wrote:

> I set chkdsk /f in three three ways but it does not check the drive on
> reboot; it goes all the way to vista as usual.
> a) opened a comand window with admin privileges, run chkdsk /f, tells
> me that will do it on reboot but does not, b) found chkdsk.exe on
> explorer, right click on the file, run as admin, same thing, c) on
> explorer right click on drive c:, properties, click on the button for
> check disk, same thing.
> DID chkdsk with no switches on a command window, it shows corrupted
> sectors and quits w/o checking all the disk.
> DID fsutil dirty query c: and yes, the drive is dirty.
> I have a Lenovo 3000 N100, Vista Home Premium, and a C: drive Hitachi
> ATA. Ir runs very slow but fine otherwise.
> What can I do to fix those bad sectors ?
> Thanks, Zorzal.
>

> --
> zorzal
>
> Zorzal.

oshiko

Re: chkdsk does not check drive on re-boot

If this is the only way to perform chkdsk on reboot, I would say this is
a regression.

Oshiko

--
oshiko
keith

Re: chkdsk does not check drive on re-boot
restart pressing F8 to get into the boot options
choose the repair option (should be the first one)
choose a keyboard layout (just hit enter)
select a user and enter the password
choose to open a command prompt
type "chkdsk c: /f" without the quotes where "c:" is the drive/partition in
question
once complete type "exit"
click restart/reboot

"oshiko" wrote:

> If this is the only way to perform chkdsk on reboot, I would say this is
> a regression.
>
> Oshiko
>

> --
> oshiko

marco

Re: chkdsk does not check drive on re-boot

I have the same problem. Chkdsk will not run at boot on a Lenovo 3000
N100 Vista Home Premium. I have not found any solution and Lenovo is no
help.

--
marco
Curt

Re: chkdsk does not check drive on re-boot
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-perfor...k-utility.html

Found this on the net. May help, may not.

Curt

"marco" <marco.32u2p0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I have the same problem. Chkdsk will not run at boot on a Lenovo 3000
> N100 Vista Home Premium. I have not found any solution and Lenovo is no
> help.
>

> --
> marco

Not Really Me

Re: chkdsk does not check drive on re-boot
Same problem on Dell Inspiron.

The solution in my case was to boot from the distribution DVD, select repair
and then when offered, bring up a command prompt.
Chkdsk c: /r ran without problems from the command prompt and didn't require
a reboot until it was complete. Fixed the filesystem problem as expected,
in spite of Dell's suggestion to reformat and start over.

Scott

"marco" <marco.32u2p0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I have the same problem. Chkdsk will not run at boot on a Lenovo 3000
> N100 Vista Home Premium. I have not found any solution and Lenovo is no
> help.
>

> --
> marco

Trojanmon

Re: chkdsk does not check drive on re-boot
I'm having the same problem with the prerelease sp1. Gee, I'm so glad I'm
using Vista, the dos era chkdsk is working better than ever. What a joke.
Roberto Baggio

Re: chkdsk does not check drive on re-boot
FSUTIL.EXE installs with WinXP. If it also installs with Vista, try using
it to set the dirty bit for the volume.

To query whether the dirty bit/flag is set:
FSUTIL dirty query C:

To set the dirty bit/flag:
FSUTIL dirty set C:

"Trojanmon" <Trojanmon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having the same problem with the prerelease sp1. Gee, I'm so glad I'm
> using Vista, the dos era chkdsk is working better than ever. What a joke.

Trojanmon

Re: chkdsk does not check drive on re-boot
The bit was set, I confirmed with chkntfs and backup. The problem is simply
that Vista does not start chkntfs on boot time regardless of what you do. I
used my install cd to run from there and all is fine, but this is ridiculous.