Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Complete PC Backup

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2007
PPG
 

Posts: n/a
Complete PC Backup
Hi, i'm new to this but recently bought new computer and following all the
advice i did a complete backup of my computer via the Backup/restore window
instructions to a 200gb Maxtor external HDD . when i thought i would test
out the procedure to restore complete pc from system image backup as per the
instructions. i chose to "restore using pre-installed recovery" procedure -
i get to step 3 but cannot find "Repair Your Computer" on the "advanced boot
options" screen. .....confused?? how do i actually go about to restore my
computer if i have a catastrophic failure. ps the copy of vista ultimate is
an OEM copy supplied when i bought the computer and although i can use it to
reinstall a clean OS i thought i should be able to restore from my Maxtor -
any assist greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2007
brink
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Complete PC Backup

PPG;549952 Wrote:
> Hi, i'm new to this but recently bought new computer and following all
> the
> advice i did a complete backup of my computer via the Backup/restore
> window
> instructions to a 200gb Maxtor external HDD . when i thought i would
> test
> out the procedure to restore complete pc from system image backup as
> per the
> instructions. i chose to "restore using pre-installed recovery"
> procedure -
> i get to step 3 but cannot find "Repair Your Computer" on the "advanced
> boot
> options" screen. .....confused?? how do i actually go about to restore
> my
> computer if i have a catastrophic failure. ps the copy of vista
> ultimate is
> an OEM copy supplied when i bought the computer and although i can use
> it to
> reinstall a clean OS i thought i should be able to restore from my
> Maxtor -
> any assist greatly appreciated


Hi PPG,

Take a look at this tutorial on restoring a complete PC backup to see
if it can help you. There may have been a step you overlooked
somewhere. This shows you how to do it from booting from your Vista
installation DVD.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/99...-computer.html

Shawn


--
brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
VISTA FORUMS X64 (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM/\")
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2007
PPG
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Complete PC Backup
Thanks shawn,
my OS is 32 bit so i'm not sure if that make a diff to the web link but i
will try it anyway. how do i know if i have an "installation dvd" because
the disc i've got is licensed only for distribution with a new pc and it
doesn't seem to be a bootable disc ie only seems to run with the computer up
and running ??

"brink" wrote:

>
> PPG;549952 Wrote:
> > Hi, i'm new to this but recently bought new computer and following all
> > the
> > advice i did a complete backup of my computer via the Backup/restore
> > window
> > instructions to a 200gb Maxtor external HDD . when i thought i would
> > test
> > out the procedure to restore complete pc from system image backup as
> > per the
> > instructions. i chose to "restore using pre-installed recovery"
> > procedure -
> > i get to step 3 but cannot find "Repair Your Computer" on the "advanced
> > boot
> > options" screen. .....confused?? how do i actually go about to restore
> > my
> > computer if i have a catastrophic failure. ps the copy of vista
> > ultimate is
> > an OEM copy supplied when i bought the computer and although i can use
> > it to
> > reinstall a clean OS i thought i should be able to restore from my
> > Maxtor -
> > any assist greatly appreciated

>
> Hi PPG,
>
> Take a look at this tutorial on restoring a complete PC backup to see
> if it can help you. There may have been a step you overlooked
> somewhere. This shows you how to do it from booting from your Vista
> installation DVD.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/99...-computer.html
>
> Shawn
>
>
> --
> brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> VISTA FORUMS X64 (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM/\")
> *Please post feedback to help others.*
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-21-2007
brink
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Complete PC Backup

PPG;550353 Wrote:
> Thanks shawn,
> my OS is 32 bit so i'm not sure if that make a diff to the web link but
> i
> will try it anyway. how do i know if i have an "installation dvd"
> because
> the disc i've got is licensed only for distribution with a new pc and
> it
> doesn't seem to be a bootable disc ie only seems to run with the
> computer up
> and running ??
>
> "brink" wrote:
> > > >
> > > Hi PPG,
> > >
> > > Take a look at this tutorial on restoring a complete PC backup to see
> > > if it can help you. There may have been a step you overlooked
> > > somewhere. This shows you how to do it from booting from your Vista
> > > installation DVD.
> > >
> > >

> > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/99...-computer.html
> > >
> > > Shawn
> > >
> > > >

>
> PPG,
>
> It's the same for 32 bit and 64 bit, but you will not be able to do
> this from a Recovery DVD. This link is the procedure for having a
> Recovery DVD, but like you I never saw the "Repair your computer"
> option in the F8 Advanced Boot Options either. See the "To restore
> using pre-installed recovery options" section.
>
> 'Windows Vista Help: Restore your computer from a system image
> backup'
> (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...11033.mspx#EOB)
>
>
> I would just backup your data files on a DVD by the usual copy
> method, or you can use a 3rd party program like Acronis True Image.
> It has a 15 day fully functional trial period to see if you like it.
>
> 'Download backup software trial of HDD ghosting, data backup and
> restore software for home and home office PCs'
> (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...oad/trueimage/)
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn



--
brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
VISTA FORUMS X64 (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM/\")
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-21-2007
AJR
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Complete PC Backup
Some confusion regarding "... i chose to "restore using pre-installed
recovery" procedure.... '

"pre-installed recovery" refers to the OEM installed recovery partition -
this is not an option regarding restoring from Complete PC Backup.

What directions were you following? Restoring the backup must be done via
booting from the Vista DVD.

"brink" <brink.31wth1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:brink.31wth1@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> PPG;549952 Wrote:
>> Hi, i'm new to this but recently bought new computer and following all
>> the
>> advice i did a complete backup of my computer via the Backup/restore
>> window
>> instructions to a 200gb Maxtor external HDD . when i thought i would
>> test
>> out the procedure to restore complete pc from system image backup as
>> per the
>> instructions. i chose to "restore using pre-installed recovery"
>> procedure -
>> i get to step 3 but cannot find "Repair Your Computer" on the "advanced
>> boot
>> options" screen. .....confused?? how do i actually go about to restore
>> my
>> computer if i have a catastrophic failure. ps the copy of vista
>> ultimate is
>> an OEM copy supplied when i bought the computer and although i can use
>> it to
>> reinstall a clean OS i thought i should be able to restore from my
>> Maxtor -
>> any assist greatly appreciated

>
> Hi PPG,
>
> Take a look at this tutorial on restoring a complete PC backup to see
> if it can help you. There may have been a step you overlooked
> somewhere. This shows you how to do it from booting from your Vista
> installation DVD.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/99...-computer.html
>
> Shawn
>
>
> --
> brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> VISTA FORUMS X64 (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM/\")
> *Please post feedback to help others.*



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2007
Chuck
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Complete PC Backup
Remember tha quite a few "OEM" P/Cs have an OEM peculiar restore proceedure,
and the image may be on the hard drive in a hidden partition.

"AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:OVUHWOBRIHA.6060@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Some confusion regarding "... i chose to "restore using pre-installed
> recovery" procedure.... '
>
> "pre-installed recovery" refers to the OEM installed recovery partition -
> this is not an option regarding restoring from Complete PC Backup.
>
> What directions were you following? Restoring the backup must be done via
> booting from the Vista DVD.
>
> "brink" <brink.31wth1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
> news:brink.31wth1@no-mx.forums.net...
> >
> > PPG;549952 Wrote:
> >> Hi, i'm new to this but recently bought new computer and following all
> >> the
> >> advice i did a complete backup of my computer via the Backup/restore
> >> window
> >> instructions to a 200gb Maxtor external HDD . when i thought i would
> >> test
> >> out the procedure to restore complete pc from system image backup as
> >> per the
> >> instructions. i chose to "restore using pre-installed recovery"
> >> procedure -
> >> i get to step 3 but cannot find "Repair Your Computer" on the "advanced
> >> boot
> >> options" screen. .....confused?? how do i actually go about to restore
> >> my
> >> computer if i have a catastrophic failure. ps the copy of vista
> >> ultimate is
> >> an OEM copy supplied when i bought the computer and although i can use
> >> it to
> >> reinstall a clean OS i thought i should be able to restore from my
> >> Maxtor -
> >> any assist greatly appreciated

> >
> > Hi PPG,
> >
> > Take a look at this tutorial on restoring a complete PC backup to see
> > if it can help you. There may have been a step you overlooked
> > somewhere. This shows you how to do it from booting from your Vista
> > installation DVD.
> >
> > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/99...-computer.html
> >
> > Shawn
> >
> >
> > --
> > brink
> >
> > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> > VISTA FORUMS X64 (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM/\")
> > *Please post feedback to help others.*

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2007
John
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Complete PC Backup
"brink" <brink.31wth1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:brink.31wth1@no-mx.forums.net...
> Hi PPG,
>
> Take a look at this tutorial on restoring a complete PC backup to see
> if it can help you. There may have been a step you overlooked
> somewhere. This shows you how to do it from booting from your Vista
> installation DVD.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/99...-computer.html
>
> Shawn
>
>
> --
> brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> VISTA FORUMS X64 (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM/\")
> *Please post feedback to help others.*



That is a fabulous job, Shawn! Especially since the Vista backup has a
bare, inadequate amount of documentation.

Do you have any idea how to tell what has been backed up? I'm referring to
the directories in previous backup programs that show what is in the backup.
I know that suggests file backup, but I am mainly concerned with complete
backups.

For example, in complete backup, when my backup disk gets full, it's
supposed to delete the oldest backup(s) to make room for the new backup, but
it doesn't. The timeline turns red and says there is no room for the backup
on the device.

I tried to go into the backup device and delete the oldest dated files, but
I've tried it file by file until the backup is completely deleted and I
still get the red timeline. The only way I have found to fix it is to
format the drive!

Using the formatted drive, backup works again. But before the backup runs
it gives a description of the oldest backup on the device (August 31 in my
case) and the date of the last backup (which would be December something).
Now understand that I just got done formatting the disk, then restarted the
backup program which is now telling me that I have backups!

I don't know where it is getting this information, but since I formatted the
disk, I know all my old backups are gone. I sure would like to see some
better way of knowing what has been backed up--that I can trust.

John

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2007
brink
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Complete PC Backup

John;556425 Wrote:
> "brink" <brink.31wth1@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
> news:brink.31wth1@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net...> > >
> > > Hi PPG,
> > >
> > > Take a look at this tutorial on restoring a complete PC backup to see
> > > if it can help you. There may have been a step you overlooked
> > > somewhere. This shows you how to do it from booting from your Vista
> > > installation DVD.
> > >
> > >

> > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/99...-computer.html
> > >
> > > Shawn
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> > > VISTA FORUMS X64 (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM/\")
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.* > >

>
>
> That is a fabulous job, Shawn! Especially since the Vista backup has
> a
> bare, inadequate amount of documentation.
>
> Do you have any idea how to tell what has been backed up? I'm
> referring to
> the directories in previous backup programs that show what is in the
> backup.
> I know that suggests file backup, but I am mainly concerned with
> complete
> backups.
>
> For example, in complete backup, when my backup disk gets full, it's
> supposed to delete the oldest backup(s) to make room for the new
> backup, but
> it doesn't. The timeline turns red and says there is no room for the
> backup
> on the device.
>
> I tried to go into the backup device and delete the oldest dated
> files, but
> I've tried it file by file until the backup is completely deleted and
> I
> still get the red timeline. The only way I have found to fix it is to
> format the drive!
>
> Using the formatted drive, backup works again. But before the backup
> runs
> it gives a description of the oldest backup on the device (August 31
> in my
> case) and the date of the last backup (which would be December
> something).
> Now understand that I just got done formatting the disk, then
> restarted the
> backup program which is now telling me that I have backups!
>
> I don't know where it is getting this information, but since I
> formatted the
> disk, I know all my old backups are gone. I sure would like to see
> some
> better way of knowing what has been backed up--that I can trust.
>
> John


Hi John,

I'll have to do some testing to see if I find where Vista stores the
information for this. In the mean time I update the tutorial to help
with knowing the "Backup Location" file path.

Shawn


--
brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
'*Vista Forums*'
(http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Complete PC Backup Jim Marcum microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 8 02-16-2009 20:15
Complete PC backup - backup two computers Hoffmeyer microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 09-12-2007 09:46
Vista Complete Backup could not find backup devices fumanju microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 7 05-15-2007 06:52
Complete PC Backup =?Utf-8?B?U2Ft?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 6 03-22-2007 14:48
RE: Do regular backup and/or complete system backup include shadow cop =?Utf-8?B?VmFydW4gUGFuZGV5?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 02-28-2007 17:49




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:37.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120