Sudden Power Downs

BlueFalconLoyd

Sudden Power Downs
I recently built a new computer and have just installed Windows Vista
Ultimate on it. I noticed when my hard drive is working excessively hard the
system tends to just turn off completly, not shut down screen or
anything...its like someone ripping the power cord outta the wall kind of
turn offs.

I thought it might be a cooling or power problem, but im pushing 6 fans in
the case...not counting the CPU or power supply fan...and a 700w power supply.

I think it might have something to do with my hard drive though, and the way
vista is acting to it. every time i start my computer up, on the sidebar it
shows a message stating "Safely Remove Hardware" with my hard drive listed as
the item its talking about.

I'm not sure if this has anythign to do with it, but its the only guess i got.

I'm running a WD Raptor 74gb Serial ATA HD 10k/16MB/4.5/SATA-150 hard drive
on a EVGA nForce 680i

thank you for your help
Dwarf

RE: Sudden Power Downs
Hi BlueFalconLoyd,

6 fans in a system is a bit excessive when you are not counting the CPU,
graphics card and PSU fans in with that total. All of these fans obviously
need power to work, and they all draw this from the 12V supplied by your PSU
(as do all the motors in your system, including your hard drive). Since you
have this problem when your HD is working excessively hard, I suspect a power
supply problem. Is your PSU a reputable make? Some cheaper models may boast
of a higher wattage, but really they are only capable of supplying around
half of their stated output. Try disconnecting some of the fans and make sure
that you have got the airflow correct - air should flow in at the lower front
of your case and exit at the upper rear. There should also be more air being
forced out than sucked in. This is to ensure that any heat generated by your
system is removed as effectively as possible. My case has only 3 fans aside
from those in the PSU, 2 of which are 80mm at the front pulling air into the
system and a 120mm fan at the rear pushing air out of the system, and these,
together with the heatsink fans for the CPU and graphics card and also the
fans in the PSU, are sufficient for keeping the system running without any
problems.
Dwarf

"BlueFalconLoyd" wrote:

> I recently built a new computer and have just installed Windows Vista
> Ultimate on it. I noticed when my hard drive is working excessively hard the
> system tends to just turn off completly, not shut down screen or
> anything...its like someone ripping the power cord outta the wall kind of
> turn offs.
>
> I thought it might be a cooling or power problem, but im pushing 6 fans in
> the case...not counting the CPU or power supply fan...and a 700w power supply.
>
> I think it might have something to do with my hard drive though, and the way
> vista is acting to it. every time i start my computer up, on the sidebar it
> shows a message stating "Safely Remove Hardware" with my hard drive listed as
> the item its talking about.
>
> I'm not sure if this has anythign to do with it, but its the only guess i got.
>
> I'm running a WD Raptor 74gb Serial ATA HD 10k/16MB/4.5/SATA-150 hard drive
> on a EVGA nForce 680i
>
> thank you for your help

Rick Rogers

Re: Sudden Power Downs
Hi,

Have you checked the hard drive with a manufacturer's diagnostic utility?
Sounds like an impending hardware failure.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org