Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista Home Premium crashes

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2007
Frank
 

Posts: n/a
Vista Home Premium crashes
Whenever I run a program like hitman pro, ccleaner or my virus scanner to
find and remove spyware ad-ware and virussus, my system freezes up and
doesn't respond to any command or mouse moves. Can anyone tell me what I can
do to fix this?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2007
Brian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Home Premium crashes

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4B999A1E-5032-4336-98EF-A4EB74A30324@microsoft.com...
> Whenever I run a program like hitman pro, ccleaner or my virus scanner to
> find and remove spyware ad-ware and virussus, my system freezes up and
> doesn't respond to any command or mouse moves. Can anyone tell me what I
> can
> do to fix this?


Uninstall Hitman Pro, CCCleaner and My Virus Scanner. I'm serious.

Don't use registry cleaners or third-party tune-up apps.

Ask around for what recommendations for anti-virus software.

I recommend AVG and Avast. They're both highly regarded and FREE.

Let Windows Firewall be your firewall. Let Windows Defender by your spyware
protection.

If Hitman Pro, CCClearner or My Virus Scanner (or anything else) has already
made changes to your system that uninstalling them doesn't help, do a system
restore.

(Frankly, I would do a complete reinstall and leave out the Hitman Pro,
CCCleaner and My Virus Scanner.)

Let us know.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2007
Frank
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Home Premium crashes


"Brian" wrote:

>
> "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:4B999A1E-5032-4336-98EF-A4EB74A30324@microsoft.com...
> > Whenever I run a program like hitman pro, ccleaner or my virus scanner to
> > find and remove spyware ad-ware and virussus, my system freezes up and
> > doesn't respond to any command or mouse moves. Can anyone tell me what I
> > can
> > do to fix this?

>
> Uninstall Hitman Pro, CCCleaner and My Virus Scanner. I'm serious.
>
> Don't use registry cleaners or third-party tune-up apps.
>
> Ask around for what recommendations for anti-virus software.
>
> I recommend AVG and Avast. They're both highly regarded and FREE.
>
> Let Windows Firewall be your firewall. Let Windows Defender by your spyware
> protection.
>
> If Hitman Pro, CCClearner or My Virus Scanner (or anything else) has already
> made changes to your system that uninstalling them doesn't help, do a system
> restore.
>
> (Frankly, I would do a complete reinstall and leave out the Hitman Pro,
> CCCleaner and My Virus Scanner.)
>
> Let us know.
>
> Well, thanks for the info, but I never had any problems with running these programs on Windows XP. They also always find a lot of things that shouldn't be there and that slipped through my protection. Also, that My Virus scanner is McAfee, which I heard is a very good virus program.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2007
Brian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Home Premium crashes

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FBBDE086-2070-4648-9C9B-387E1E77349A@microsoft.com...
>
>
> "Brian" wrote:
>
>>
>> "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:4B999A1E-5032-4336-98EF-A4EB74A30324@microsoft.com...
>> > Whenever I run a program like hitman pro, ccleaner or my virus scanner
>> > to
>> > find and remove spyware ad-ware and virussus, my system freezes up and
>> > doesn't respond to any command or mouse moves. Can anyone tell me what
>> > I
>> > can
>> > do to fix this?

>>
>> Uninstall Hitman Pro, CCCleaner and My Virus Scanner. I'm serious.
>>
>> Don't use registry cleaners or third-party tune-up apps.
>>
>> Ask around for what recommendations for anti-virus software.
>>
>> I recommend AVG and Avast. They're both highly regarded and FREE.
>>
>> Let Windows Firewall be your firewall. Let Windows Defender by your
>> spyware
>> protection.
>>
>> If Hitman Pro, CCClearner or My Virus Scanner (or anything else) has
>> already
>> made changes to your system that uninstalling them doesn't help, do a
>> system
>> restore.
>>
>> (Frankly, I would do a complete reinstall and leave out the Hitman Pro,
>> CCCleaner and My Virus Scanner.)
>>
>> Let us know.
>>
>> Well, thanks for the info, but I never had any problems with running
>> these programs on Windows XP. They also always find a lot of things that
>> shouldn't be there and that slipped through my protection. Also, that My
>> Virus scanner is McAfee, which I heard is a very good virus program.


------------------

Frank,

Vista is not XP.

Brian

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2007
Frank
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Home Premium crashes


"Brian" wrote:

>
> "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:FBBDE086-2070-4648-9C9B-387E1E77349A@microsoft.com...
> >
> >
> > "Brian" wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:4B999A1E-5032-4336-98EF-A4EB74A30324@microsoft.com...
> >> > Whenever I run a program like hitman pro, ccleaner or my virus scanner
> >> > to
> >> > find and remove spyware ad-ware and virussus, my system freezes up and
> >> > doesn't respond to any command or mouse moves. Can anyone tell me what
> >> > I
> >> > can
> >> > do to fix this?
> >>
> >> Uninstall Hitman Pro, CCCleaner and My Virus Scanner. I'm serious.
> >>
> >> Don't use registry cleaners or third-party tune-up apps.
> >>
> >> Ask around for what recommendations for anti-virus software.
> >>
> >> I recommend AVG and Avast. They're both highly regarded and FREE.
> >>
> >> Let Windows Firewall be your firewall. Let Windows Defender by your
> >> spyware
> >> protection.
> >>
> >> If Hitman Pro, CCClearner or My Virus Scanner (or anything else) has
> >> already
> >> made changes to your system that uninstalling them doesn't help, do a
> >> system
> >> restore.
> >>
> >> (Frankly, I would do a complete reinstall and leave out the Hitman Pro,
> >> CCCleaner and My Virus Scanner.)
> >>
> >> Let us know.
> >>
> >> Well, thanks for the info, but I never had any problems with running
> >> these programs on Windows XP. They also always find a lot of things that
> >> shouldn't be there and that slipped through my protection. Also, that My
> >> Virus scanner is McAfee, which I heard is a very good virus program.

>
> ------------------
>
> Frank,
>
> Vista is not XP.
>
> Brian
>
>


Well, thanks for your help. I'll do a system restore and hope everything
keeps working.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2007
Stretch
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Home Premium crashes

"Brian" <brian[hyphen]bradley@cox.net> wrote in message
news:O%236ff6qQIHA.484@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> I recommend AVG and Avast. They're both highly regarded and FREE.
>
> Let Windows Firewall be your firewall. Let Windows Defender by your
> spyware protection.



I run AVG. But I run it with Comodo. It's also free, and of the top
4 rated firewalls as far as security is concerned. Way better than the
Trend Micro it replaced. Windows advanced firewall is ok,
but too cumbersome to use. And doesn't warn you for outgoing
trafffic.

Lavasoft ad-aware still works well as a cleaner.

--
Curtis D. Levin KD4ZKW
<cdlevin@hotmail.com>


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2007
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Home Premium crashes
Hi Frank,

Try running them in safe mode and in diagnostic mode. The latter, if it
works, probably indicates a software conflict. If they work in safe mode,
it's more likely a video driver issue.

For Diagnostic mode, run msconfig from the start/search line and type it in.
On the general tab simply check the box, click apply/ok and reboot as
directed. This limits the amount of software loading at normal boot and
should eliminate any potential software conflicts.

For Safe mode you can load this either through the boot tab of msconfig, or
by selecting it from the boot menu by hitting F8 when the system first
loads. If the scans run ok here, then you more than likely have a video
problem.

If niether mode works, I'd suspect a hardware issue, possibly faulty memory.
Running the memory diagnostic tool may reveal if this is the issue.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4B999A1E-5032-4336-98EF-A4EB74A30324@microsoft.com...
> Whenever I run a program like hitman pro, ccleaner or my virus scanner to
> find and remove spyware ad-ware and virussus, my system freezes up and
> doesn't respond to any command or mouse moves. Can anyone tell me what I
> can
> do to fix this?


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2007
Frank
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Home Premium crashes
Hi Rick

I'll try the suggestion you've posted. Thanks a lot for it and I hope it
works.

Regards
Frank

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> Try running them in safe mode and in diagnostic mode. The latter, if it
> works, probably indicates a software conflict. If they work in safe mode,
> it's more likely a video driver issue.
>
> For Diagnostic mode, run msconfig from the start/search line and type it in.
> On the general tab simply check the box, click apply/ok and reboot as
> directed. This limits the amount of software loading at normal boot and
> should eliminate any potential software conflicts.
>
> For Safe mode you can load this either through the boot tab of msconfig, or
> by selecting it from the boot menu by hitting F8 when the system first
> loads. If the scans run ok here, then you more than likely have a video
> problem.
>
> If niether mode works, I'd suspect a hardware issue, possibly faulty memory.
> Running the memory diagnostic tool may reveal if this is the issue.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:4B999A1E-5032-4336-98EF-A4EB74A30324@microsoft.com...
> > Whenever I run a program like hitman pro, ccleaner or my virus scanner to
> > find and remove spyware ad-ware and virussus, my system freezes up and
> > doesn't respond to any command or mouse moves. Can anyone tell me what I
> > can
> > do to fix this?

>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retail 32bit vista Home Premium upgrade to 64 bit Home Premium - H rrdToledo microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 09-25-2007 04:38
DVD Maker in Home Premium Edition crashes with AVI files Jose_A microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 09-13-2007 13:45
Vista Home Premium crashes during completing insatllation phase. scott_swalling@hotmail.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 08-06-2007 11:12
Vista Home Premium crashes Bart microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 8 07-26-2007 20:10
Office2007 Ultimate often crashes on Vista Home Premium eblaster microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 07-04-2007 03:35




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:01.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120