Need to increase my C Drive capacity

Jonners

Need to increase my C Drive capacity
I have two hard drives on my PC. One 80G partitioned in to 4 x 20G (approx)
Drives for documents of mixed type, and the other a 40G divided in to 2 of
20G each: One being my C Drive for the OS, Vista Home Premium 64bit and the
other, my D drive for applications. Naturally, some applications will only
work on the C Drive.

Vista installed much larger than I had envisaged and took up a staggering
18G, so I am now running out of space, and the last MS Security update states
that I have no more room.

I do not want to go through the trouble of reinstalling everything - that
would be a nightmare. Can I expand the C drive in to the D or into one of
the other 4 on the other hard drive? The others would be best bet as they
are just documents and easily moved.

TO MS: In view of the huge ammounts of space required to download vista,
compared to other OS, such as XP at just 3G, a larger, more obvious notice on
the pack of minimum requirements would be helpful.
Rick Rogers

Re: Need to increase my C Drive capacity
Hi,

Most versions of Vista recommend a minimum of 40GB of drive space:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...uirements.mspx

As to your problem, you'll have to shrink D:, then slide it to the end of
the drive, then expand C: into it. Vista's disk manager, diskmgmt.msc can
shrink and expand volumes, but it cannot slide them. For that you need a
third party tool like BootIT NG. What you could also do is uninstall the
programs on D:, then delete it entirely and expand C: into the resulting
free space.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jonners" <Jonners@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two hard drives on my PC. One 80G partitioned in to 4 x 20G
>(approx)
> Drives for documents of mixed type, and the other a 40G divided in to 2 of
> 20G each: One being my C Drive for the OS, Vista Home Premium 64bit and
> the
> other, my D drive for applications. Naturally, some applications will
> only
> work on the C Drive.
>
> Vista installed much larger than I had envisaged and took up a staggering
> 18G, so I am now running out of space, and the last MS Security update
> states
> that I have no more room.
>
> I do not want to go through the trouble of reinstalling everything - that
> would be a nightmare. Can I expand the C drive in to the D or into one of
> the other 4 on the other hard drive? The others would be best bet as they
> are just documents and easily moved.
>
> TO MS: In view of the huge ammounts of space required to download vista,
> compared to other OS, such as XP at just 3G, a larger, more obvious notice
> on
> the pack of minimum requirements would be helpful.

Jonners

Re: Need to increase my C Drive capacity
Thanks for this, and noted about disc space, but with such a huge difference,
it should have been clearer, and it seems I am far from the only one. That
said I need a solution. Rebuilds areis not an option, that is why I
partitioned as I did.

I have down loaded BOOTIT NG, but, and I don't understand why, when I
launched it it says that it is incompatable with my system?!

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Most versions of Vista recommend a minimum of 40GB of drive space:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...uirements.mspx
>
> As to your problem, you'll have to shrink D:, then slide it to the end of
> the drive, then expand C: into it. Vista's disk manager, diskmgmt.msc can
> shrink and expand volumes, but it cannot slide them. For that you need a
> third party tool like BootIT NG. What you could also do is uninstall the
> programs on D:, then delete it entirely and expand C: into the resulting
> free space.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Jonners" <Jonners@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have two hard drives on my PC. One 80G partitioned in to 4 x 20G
> >(approx)
> > Drives for documents of mixed type, and the other a 40G divided in to 2 of
> > 20G each: One being my C Drive for the OS, Vista Home Premium 64bit and
> > the
> > other, my D drive for applications. Naturally, some applications will
> > only
> > work on the C Drive.
> >
> > Vista installed much larger than I had envisaged and took up a staggering
> > 18G, so I am now running out of space, and the last MS Security update
> > states
> > that I have no more room.
> >
> > I do not want to go through the trouble of reinstalling everything - that
> > would be a nightmare. Can I expand the C drive in to the D or into one of
> > the other 4 on the other hard drive? The others would be best bet as they
> > are just documents and easily moved.
> >
> > TO MS: In view of the huge ammounts of space required to download vista,
> > compared to other OS, such as XP at just 3G, a larger, more obvious notice
> > on
> > the pack of minimum requirements would be helpful.

Rick Rogers

Re: Need to increase my C Drive capacity
Hi,

With BootIT NG, you create a diskette from the download and then boot the
system from it. This way it can do the partitioning work without the
operating system being active. Just cancel out of installation and go into
maintenance mode.

--

> Thanks for this, and noted about disc space, but with such a huge
> difference,
> it should have been clearer, and it seems I am far from the only one.
> That
> said I need a solution. Rebuilds areis not an option, that is why I
> partitioned as I did.
>
> I have down loaded BOOTIT NG, but, and I don't understand why, when I
> launched it it says that it is incompatable with my system?!
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Most versions of Vista recommend a minimum of 40GB of drive space:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...uirements.mspx
>>
>> As to your problem, you'll have to shrink D:, then slide it to the end of
>> the drive, then expand C: into it. Vista's disk manager, diskmgmt.msc can
>> shrink and expand volumes, but it cannot slide them. For that you need a
>> third party tool like BootIT NG. What you could also do is uninstall the
>> programs on D:, then delete it entirely and expand C: into the resulting
>> free space.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Jonners" <Jonners@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have two hard drives on my PC. One 80G partitioned in to 4 x 20G
>> >(approx)
>> > Drives for documents of mixed type, and the other a 40G divided in to 2
>> > of
>> > 20G each: One being my C Drive for the OS, Vista Home Premium 64bit
>> > and
>> > the
>> > other, my D drive for applications. Naturally, some applications will
>> > only
>> > work on the C Drive.
>> >
>> > Vista installed much larger than I had envisaged and took up a
>> > staggering
>> > 18G, so I am now running out of space, and the last MS Security update
>> > states
>> > that I have no more room.
>> >
>> > I do not want to go through the trouble of reinstalling everything -
>> > that
>> > would be a nightmare. Can I expand the C drive in to the D or into one
>> > of
>> > the other 4 on the other hard drive? The others would be best bet as
>> > they
>> > are just documents and easily moved.
>> >
>> > TO MS: In view of the huge ammounts of space required to download
>> > vista,
>> > compared to other OS, such as XP at just 3G, a larger, more obvious
>> > notice
>> > on
>> > the pack of minimum requirements would be helpful.

James Matthews

Re: Need to increase my C Drive capacity
Or you can just use linix Anyways these days everyone should have at
least 100 GB in there computer!

--

http://search.goldwatches.com/?Search=Movado+Watches
http://www.goldwatches.com/