Windows Explorer Crashes

AJ

Windows Explorer Crashes
Any time Windows Explorer is called into action it crashes, causing loss of
any information in the opening window and causing a full refresh of the
desktop.
Error reporting suggest downloading KB938979 as a possible repair for this
issue. However, when going through the process of downloading the specific
KB an error message is presented that the KB is not specific to repairing
the particular system error.
BTW: Vista Ultimate of my HP Laptop.
This is really getting to be an exersize in fuition. Any ideas other than
reloading the O/P Sys and starting over, which I really don't want to do
unless other viable options are to no avail.
TIA for viable suggestions to relieve this aberition. A/J

serdar

RE: Windows Explorer Crashes
i have the same problem.
did you sort it out?

"AJ" wrote:

> Any time Windows Explorer is called into action it crashes, causing loss of
> any information in the opening window and causing a full refresh of the
> desktop.
> Error reporting suggest downloading KB938979 as a possible repair for this
> issue. However, when going through the process of downloading the specific
> KB an error message is presented that the KB is not specific to repairing
> the particular system error.
> BTW: Vista Ultimate of my HP Laptop.
> This is really getting to be an exersize in fuition. Any ideas other than
> reloading the O/P Sys and starting over, which I really don't want to do
> unless other viable options are to no avail.
> TIA for viable suggestions to relieve this aberition. A/J

brink

AJ;548558 Wrote:
> Any time Windows Explorer is called into action it crashes, causing loss
> of
> any information in the opening window and causing a full refresh of the
> desktop.
> Error reporting suggest downloading KB938979 as a possible repair for
> this
> issue. However, when going through the process of downloading the
> specific
> KB an error message is presented that the KB is not specific to
> repairing
> the particular system error.
> BTW: Vista Ultimate of my HP Laptop.
> This is really getting to be an exersize in fuition. Any ideas other
> than
> reloading the O/P Sys and starting over, which I really don't want to
> do
> unless other viable options are to no avail.
> TIA for viable suggestions to relieve this aberition. A/J

Hi AJ,

If you have a Vista Express or Retail installation DVD, then you can do
a Repair install. This will allow you to repair your Vista installation
without losing your files, settings, and programs.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

Shawn

--
brink

VISTA FORUMS X64 (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM/\")
*Please post feedback to help others.*
skirby67

Re: Windows Explorer Crashes

I seriously doubt that this is caused by an errored installed. I have
just purchased 3 HP Pavilion dv9000s (Vista Home Premium 32bit) and a
Gateway desktop a few months ago. The pavilions all frequently have
Windows Explorer crashes especially when I am accessing my network
disks. The same crashes also occur on my Gateway desktop which is
running Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit. I could reinstall/repair the Vista
operating system on all 4 systems, but I doubt it will work since the
odds of all of them having bad installations are very rare. I continue
to check the Windows Update site and the HP update site hoping to find a
fix but have not had any luck yet.

--
skirby67
KentuckyRanger

Re: Windows Explorer Crashes

I think what's happening here is we've all become Beta testers without
knowing it.
I too have had I/E crashes but somehow I managed to stop it.
I think I rolled the system back before some update, there's been so
many issues I can't keep track of them all.
Anyway, try rolling your system back to when it was working OK, that's
how I fixed I/E.

--
KentuckyRanger

M/Board: EVGA nForce 680i SLI A-1
CPU: Intel QX6800 O/C to 3.2GHz
RAM: 4 GIG Corsair Dominator PC6800 1X4
H/D's: 3X Westrn Digital 150GB Raptor
Video Cards: 2X EVGA GeForce 8800 Ultra
P/S: Ultra X3 1,000W
Case: Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570
DVD: Philips Blu-Ray/Philips DVD
AJ

Re: Windows Explorer Crashes
The problem is not with Internet Explorer 7.**. It is with Windows Explorer,
the process that is used when opening any window to access items that are
embedded on the drives, within directories, sub-directories, on USB external
devices, on SD-Cards inserted into the readers, et al fin.
Using Internet Explorer to access the WEB is not a problem.
When the error is examined, viz the recommended Microsoft Recommended Fix,
the information inbedded in that specifc KB is not even relevant to Windows
Explorer errors. (Per information presented after downloading and installing
recommended KB).
I concur, that again we are unwittingly becoming "Longhorn [aka VISTA]" beta
testers. Remember Dos Ver 4.0 and it's fun producing erronous codex?? Or
maybe even Win 95? Seems that many of the products are released far before
thay have been totally de-bugged. Any wonder why NASA uses older
tried-true? software.
Still waiting for the long needed Service Packages to be released for Vista
to again beta test, Eh?
..32d6d3@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I think what's happening here is we've all become Beta testers without
> knowing it.
> I too have had I/E crashes but somehow I managed to stop it.
> I think I rolled the system back before some update, there's been so
> many issues I can't keep track of them all.
> Anyway, try rolling your system back to when it was working OK, that's
> how I fixed I/E.
>

> --
> KentuckyRanger
>
> M/Board: EVGA nForce 680i SLI A-1
> CPU: Intel QX6800 O/C to 3.2GHz
> RAM: 4 GIG Corsair Dominator PC6800 1X4
> H/D's: 3X Westrn Digital 150GB Raptor
> Video Cards: 2X EVGA GeForce 8800 Ultra
> P/S: Ultra X3 1,000W
> Case: Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570
> DVD: Philips Blu-Ray/Philips DVD

KentuckyRanger

Re: Windows Explorer Crashes

Ohhhh, sorry. I should have read more closely.

Explorer is acting very odd, i.e. SATA and USB drive detection.
I have 3 HDD's on this Rig in SATA as well as 2 DVD drives in SATA as
well and it's a crap shoot every Time I boot up as to what's going to
happen.
I hooked up a Western Digital external HDD last Week and almost had to
do a complete system restore.
What got me out of it was the last ditch turn it off, un-plug it and
come back in a Day technique.
Also, I had to update explorer 64bit drivers before I could even hook
up my 4 GIG of Ram because it couldn't handle more than 3GIG.

I went aganst my better judgement when I put my Rig together and went
with Vista.
I should have stayed with XP.
It's so funny you bring up NASA because it's so true.
I also remember the great Win 95 release, they had just got Win 3.1 to
work, LOL!
I like to be ahead of the curve a little when building a new system but
anymore it's becoming a joke as to just how consumer ready all this
stuff really is.
Just like SLI technology. I built this Rig almost 6 Months ago and
haven't enjoyed the benefits of SLI until just last Week when the Driver
updates for games such as Half Life 2 finally came out so it's not just
Microsoft anymore pulling this crap.
I'd say in another 6 Months we'll all be happy we chose what we did but
right now it's a growing pain thing and allot of us feel we've been
duped into diving into technology that wasn't ready.

--
KentuckyRanger

M/Board: EVGA nForce 680i SLI A-1
CPU: Intel QX6800 O/C to 3.2GHz
RAM: 4 GIG Corsair Dominator PC6800 1X4
H/D's: 3X Westrn Digital 150GB Raptor
Video Cards: 2X EVGA GeForce 8800 Ultra
P/S: Ultra X3 1,000W
Case: Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570
DVD: Philips Blu-Ray/Philips DVD
EddieZ

Re: Windows Explorer Crashes

Explorer.exe did crash sometimes overhere. Since I changed the
Dreamscene it doesn't anymore....strange but seems like a buggy video.

--
EddieZ

Did my answer help you out? Credit my reputation by clicking the scales!
KentuckyRanger

EddieZ;558084 Wrote:
> Explorer.exe did crash sometimes overhere. Since I changed the
> Dreamscene it doesn't anymore....strange but seems like a buggy video.

I haven't installed Dreamscene because it just looks like a big Memory
Hog and I really don't need video clips playing on my Desktop while
editing Video or playing games.

I'd say it most likely is a very buggy program i.e. that's why
Microsoft doesn't make it a default part of Vista Ultimate.

--
KentuckyRanger

M/Board: EVGA nForce 680i SLI A-1
CPU: Intel QX6800 O/C to 3.2GHz
RAM: 4 GIG Corsair Dominator PC6800 1X4
H/D's: 3X Westrn Digital 150GB Raptor
Video Cards: 2X EVGA GeForce 8800 Ultra
P/S: Ultra X3 1,000W
Case: Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570
DVD: Philips Blu-Ray/Philips DVD
AJ

Re: Windows Explorer Crashes
Resorted to 'restore' to a previous registration entry/save peroid to
resurrect the system before trashing the whole flippin thing. Actually
worked with just a few hangup and fustrations. Definately a different
experience other than what we were introduced to with ME and XP!!